Paint Protection/Ceramic Nano Coating - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Red Barchetta
  • 1 Post By rob the elder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Paint Protection/Ceramic Nano Coating

Interesting paint protection technology, basically it is clear polymer that protects the paint, and helps to cut down on the amount of time needed to wash a car. Claims include never having to use polish (clean the finish) or wax (enhance the shine of the finish) your car again. Also, this is a permanent product, once applied the car it cannot be removed. Ceramic coating also is marketed under slightly different names, but it's basically the same thing, a clear protectant that bonds to your car finish.

This is a long video, but worth watching if you want to understand what's all involved. Though I'm going to assume that it will not protect your finish from rock chips, and that Clearbra type products would still be recommended.

Thoughts?

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 06-11-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 01:09 PM

Might be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Might be Snake Oil.

In either case, difficult to tell since the product from the first video is only available in Australia, apparently. And the second in the UK. Who knows?

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:20 PM

Garage
Just thought I would revive an old thread. For my birthday my son took my sol to the gm dealer he works at and had my car fully detailed. The surprise was they also did the ceramic coating. The detailers did an amazing job on the prep work. They used the Adams ceramic system, and the results are just stunning. According to Adams the coating can be removed by a machine process so I'm not worried in that aspect. The finish is unbelievably smooth, and the water really runs off like the videos. Anybody interested in this type of protection should look at this stuff with an open mind. If the prep work is top notch, the finish work will be worth it.
sirwm likes this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:59 PM

I can vouch this stuff. As long as it's the apply and rub off, it'll work. If it's the spray and rinse, not so much. Last year after I leased my Charger, I wanted something that was going to be easy to take care of in the winter. My cars don't go through a car wash, but they will go through a touchless one. I spent $75 on Qtech Ceramic (not sure if that was the name) and went to work. My car wasn't hard to do as it was brand new. You MUST make sure your paint is in showroom condition or else the scratches, pits, chips and dirt will be there for several years. Once it's applied it's a bi%ch to get off. Mine was apply, and then let it tack up, then SCRUB it off. Then it sat in the garage for overnight, out the next day in the direct sun to harden it, then overnight in the garage again. If you leave it out and you have dew, you WILL get water runs. I wasn't impressed with the slickness to touch factor, and the shine was between an unwaxed car and a brilliantly waxed car. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. No wet look, but, take some paint protection once it's cured and do a real fast, light once over and buff to shine. It'll only last till your next car wash or rain, but it'll make it pop.

As for upkeep? It was incredible. Merely take it to the $0.25 car was, hose it off in mid winter and drive it home. The water came right off as did the dirt, snow and salt...no scrubbing, no washing. I can't say enough about it...but the 2 things are, it's expensive to have someone do it, and it's VERY time consuming to do it yourself. Make sure that you have all the right equipment. Make sure your paint is in good condition first. Buy heavy pile microfiber towels (about 15 or so should work for a Kappa). After every section of scrubbing off the ceramic, turn the towel and buff, then throw the towel out.....DO NOT REUSE any towel that is involved with a ceramic application!!! You WILL scratch your paint!!! You CANNOT wash ceramic bits out of the towels. Any questions, just ask me.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:04 PM

Ceramic coatings can be removed, it's called a wheel with polish...and it takes forever. And the ceramic has to be kept up or else it will peel or give the rainbow effect, so it's not for everyone, but protecting a low mileage kappa with it would be worth it.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:06 PM

I recently had the wheel off package ceramic pro applied to my new rims & had the pearl nano ceramic detailer applied to my painted surfaces which was not the permanent protection. The detailer applied pearl nano ceramic to my paint which i already had 3m on also applied it to the chrome plus on the vinyl & leather. The company even put it on my glass windshield.
So far i have noticed the water just runs off the rims & the rest of the car has smooth finish to it.

Last edited by easyryderca; 07-31-2019 at 06:14 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:58 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I have used Adams ceramic paste wax for a couple of years. On both kappas and my Ram. I use ceramic boost about once a month. I really like the results
easyryderca likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

Last edited by rob the elder; 08-01-2019 at 12:12 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:56 AM

My son in law just had this done to his truck which he uses for his job a black GMC and the cost was I believe $1500.00 .We all know how hard it is to keep anything black clean and he works in the home building industry so needless to say his truck gets dirty on a regular basis . According to the guy who did this you don't need to wash your vehicle just hose it off and blow it dry . Me personally I'm a bit sceptical so I'll see how this works out for him .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode