Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Punisher

879K views 4K replies 187 participants last post by  G-Ram 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

See less See more
#3,155 ·
And because I can . . . I installed the Punisher Support vehicle wheel center graphics

Attachments

#3,156 ·
Got a package for PunisheR yesterday!

And I completed installing 2 additional USB ports and two power ports in the Taco.

Attachments

#3,157 ·
Today at garage day we replaced four serpentine belts and two power steering belts

It was easier than I thought and a bit tedious

The first thing we learned was both the /.0 and the 2.4 use the same belts.

Doing it on the lift made it much easier. The power steering belt tensioner is a 15 mm nut that when rotated allows the belt to be removed. The first one took about ten minutes to figure out then with one person on the bottom and one on top we got it down th five minutes.
The serpentine belt is inside the power steering belt and comes off second and goes on first

The serpentine belt tensioner is a 3/8 square hole to be used with a breaker bar. A long handle is a must
Once the bar is inserted into the tensioner the belt slides off fairly easily
Going back on is much easier if a person is up top on the drivers side to help the belt slide onto the ribbed pulley.
We did four today and found three of them were very bad. One had a crack that was very close to separating. All of them were cracked and well beyond their useful life

#3,160 ·
The belts are 10+ years old if they have not been replaced. The factory belts were all bad. Some had 10,000 and some had 50,000.

#3,161 ·
Yes, thanks I found that is a useful source of info. I don't do posts there yet though.

I got mine as a " commuter" daily driver. Now it has a locker, full skids, advanced recovery gear including a ground anchor, snatch rings, several straps, four recovery boards, pioneer tools, a 1kw generator with filtered power. its just about ready for Ouray and Moab.

#3,162 ·
I just got a fascinating email

"Do you still have Punisher and my cable??? I know you wanted to get cruise working, and I found one parameter in the cruise section that I think has the wrong value. Would you want to test it?"

From Ken Kelly. The author of LS1 edit. There may be a solution for the cruise not working!

#3,165 · (Edited)
Received the new tune. I need to find time to install the new software then upload the tune. More to come.

He told me that he made one set of Solstice cables and that they are all sold. Without a cable you cant access the tune. Currently only DDM, Werks and Wade have the license that allows them to tune multiple cars.

#3,166 · (Edited)
Spent 12 hours working on MY cars for a change. With help from Richard and Skip I got the cars cleaned up from the trip to Gunnison and pulled the cowl. Then I pulled the oil pressure switch and after four attempts got the banjo adapter installed and not leaking oil. The aluminum seals didn't! I ended up getting fiber drain plug seals and reaming them out slightly with my Moto tool. Worked well. Tightened everything down and hooked up the gauge. Works now!

Richard drank coffee and soldered for ten hours cleaning up the show wiring and switches. What a great guy! Now everything works again!

Great day

#3,167 · (Edited)
More detail on my oil pressure sending unit adventure.

I am happy to report that Murphy is alive and well

I decided to move the oil pressure sending unit from the oil filter area to T off the factory oil pressure switch location. I found an Aussie site that sells what is essentially a giant banjo bolt for this purpose. That is the good news.

In order to access the factory switch I had to remove the cowl and even then getting at the location was not easy. Too much crap in the way and too narrow to get my hands in there.

My first challenge was my deep socket was not deep enough. A trip to Autozone and I had a DEEP socket that worked. Got the factory switch out and assembled the fitting that tapped off for the new oil pressure sending unit. Its a bolt that mates with the block on one end, accepts the oil pressure switch so its drilled out in the center, and has a hole in the side. Then an aluminum seal goes onto the bolt followed by the hollow tap and another seal on the bottom. This all then needs to be inserted into the hole that you cant reach without the bottom seal falling off.

I paid so much attention to the bottom seal that I failed to notice that the top seal had fallen off the mounting shoulder and was askew.

Torqued everything down, installed the factory switch and fired her up. It puked out high pressure oil all over the motor. Cloud of smoke.

Pulled the thing apart, inspected the upper seal and it was creased and deformed allowing the oil to leak.

Had a spare seal, installed it and tried again. Same result. More smoke.

Went to Autozone again. Found several fiber pan plug gaskets that looked like they would work. Took them home and after opening up the center hole a bit they did fit.

Reinstalled everything and have "smoke" tested it several times. Its not leaking. I am optimistic that this may be the permanent fix!

Time will tell

#3,168 ·
Spent Friday detailing the Taco with help from Skip. Foam cannon wash, blow dry, then ceramic treatment. Followed by interior detail.

Ran Punisher and hopefully burned off the last of the oil from the oil pressure relocation work

#3,169 ·
Saturday was a trip to visit the kids then spent the rest of the day cleaning up the garage following the garage door replacement fun and festivities

#3,170 ·
Sunday spent the morning detailing the BIG truck, clay bar and ceramic treatment for the front end. Getting ready for winter

Spent the rest of the day cutting holes in the Taco front fender. Installed the Desert Air Intake. It always looks easier on YT!

#3,171 ·
Monday was the last day of off time. Thank goodness! I'm running out of energy

Installed the software I received from Ken Kelly, hooked up my LS1Edit cable to the PunisheR and copied the tune. Then I installed an updated tune he sent me a couple of weeks ago. He said he thinks he may have solved the problem with the cruise control not working. He said that one of the data fields in the tune has the wrong sign. The updated tune fixes that.

The good news is the cable worked, I was able to connect and copy the existing tune just fine. And the new tune loaded AND the car starts and runs LOL. More to come.

#3,172 ·
Took Punisher out for a freeway test run. Good news it's running great. The oil soaking the header wrap is now burned off. No more burning oil odor or smoke. And no leaks!

Unfortunately the cruise still does not function

#3,176 ·
Took Punisher out Saturday for a short ride. Running even better since the tune update. Today Jo brought Jazz over and we replaced both door lift cylinders. I also finished up the front camera install on the Taco and plugged in the front / rear anytime hardware. Works great. That went so well I found time to install the XM radio unit too. That works great. I even set up the Alexa XM skill and can now listen anywhere

#3,177 ·
New winter project.

Not what I wanted to do but something I need to do.
Have had a problem with "fast flash" of the right front turn signal. We replaced the bulbs and LEDs with new super bright units with built in load resistance. Still had the fast flash.

Replaced with the factory bulbs. Fast flash.

After a lot of head scratching and playing with it, found that if the lights are OFF, the fast flash is gone. Normal operation. But when you turn on the lights fast flash.

Now the car has 16 different show lights of various types and locations. They have been added over the course of ten years with not a lot of documentation. We had some help from others along the way who did their own connections.

Reached the point where its time to pull out all the show wiring and start over. Clean it up, document it and label everything. Have heat shrink tubing for my label maker so that will help a lot.

In the process of gathering wire and connectors to start the job probably when the weather turns and outside jobs are off the list.

Wish me luck!:dthumbs:

#3,178 ·
Replaced with the factory bulbs. Fast flash.

After a lot of head scratching and playing with it, found that if the lights are OFF, the fast flash is gone. Normal operation. But when you turn on the lights fast flash.
Well, it could be related to your other lighting, but is this happening when you're engine is running, or just when you are on battery only? Reason is, if the voltage level is too low, that messes with the BCM current detection and makes it think that a bulb is out because of the lower current draw through the flasher bulbs - hence the fast flash.

So I would check the following:
1) the voltage level when this is happening (use a voltmeter)
2) if your battery is OK (if it only happens when the engine is off)
3) if your alternator is OK (if it happens when the car is running)
4) your light wiring (as you said) to make sure there is no undue current draw from the battery due to mis-wiring

Good luck!

#3,179 ·
What bulbs did you use? Most of the ones I have seen will only work correctly if there are some incandescent bulbs still in the circuit, so with the lights on you may be loading them a different way that messes with the balance circuitry.

#3,181 ·
FYI - in my Solstice I ONLY have LEDs, home/custom constructed, for all turn signals. I found I only needed to put in load resistors at one place per side - in my case at the front - to draw enough current for both front and rear and fool the BCM into not hyper-flashing. No filament bulbs anywhere in my car any more (well possibly bar a couple of the switch backlights :)).

#3,180 ·
Thanks for the feedback. More information
I am shade blind so have difficult identifying green, blue and gray wire colors.
When I installed the Windrestrictor back in 07 and I could not identify the wire in the trunk I went directly to the tail light socket and tied into the light there.

When I added the ground power source years later I decided I wanted to be able to illuminate the Windrestrictor from ground power so ran ground power to the WR through a simple switch.

A year or so later, I found the illuminated switches and installed them.

This summer I had a friend volunteer to clean up the switch wiring and I am pretty sure we ended up tieing the turn signal to the lights through the ground power connections.

Without spending hours tracing several different bundles of wires its pretty much impossible to tell what is connected to which.

Thus the do over. :)

#3,183 ·
The left side has the swirl light with resistor and the new led light with built in resistance and works fine in all cases. The right side works fine with the same configuration when the lights are off. I am optimistic that it will work as desired once I get the wiring cleaned up. Will let you know. :)

#3,184 ·
Had a fabulous weekend in Monument Valley last weekend. We drove over in the Taco, which is not a great freeway cruiser . .. the seats are not up to the task. Getting that addressed with upgraded padding!

It took 9 hours to travel from Parker to the Lodge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goulding's_Lodge

We stayed in one of their "cabins". They are actually factory built small houses. Two bedrooms, kitchen, sitting room, bathroom and a great deck with a view out front. And since the next "room" is 20 feet away, real privacy.

We had dinner and breakfast at the lodge dining room. Great experience. Beautiful views with the food. The Goulding's are almost single handedly responsible for creating Monument Valley as a destination park.
https://gouldings.com/history/
Harry was a veteran of the Great War. An Army engineer who was wounded he came home to Durango, got married to "Mike" and they made their way to Monument Valley in the early 1920s. They set up a tent and established a trading post for the locals, who were mostly Navajo. Over the years, they built a brick trading post with their small apartment on the second floor. This building is now the museum and well worth the time.
While they were still living in canvas and barely eking out a living, they read about John Ford and his plan to make western movies. They had a photographer friend take pictures of various areas in the Valley and traveled to Hollywood. They eventually got to show the pictures to John Ford who eventually used Monument Valley for many John Wayne westerns. Stage Coach, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, the Searchers . .. these movies put Monument Valley on the map and lead to it becoming a destination for thousands of happy people each year.

#3,185 ·
There are two "loop" roads and several side roads that can be driven in any high clearance vehicle. We say several Camero's and a Mustang but we also saw them dragging themselves over the terrain without the help of skid plates. Not good.

One of the movies made there was Clint Eastwood "the Eiger Sanction"

http://newsmaven.io/indiancountryto...-on-the-navajo-nation-42wjq5shZECXex3LtSOk9g/

I would not be up there for love nor money!>:)

Attachments