More detail on my oil pressure sending unit adventure.
I am happy to report that Murphy is alive and well
I decided to move the oil pressure sending unit from the oil filter area to T off the factory oil pressure switch location. I found an Aussie site that sells what is essentially a giant banjo bolt for this purpose. That is the good news.
In order to access the factory switch I had to remove the cowl and even then getting at the location was not easy. Too much crap in the way and too narrow to get my hands in there.
My first challenge was my deep socket was not deep enough. A trip to Autozone and I had a DEEP socket that worked. Got the factory switch out and assembled the fitting that tapped off for the new oil pressure sending unit. Its a bolt that mates with the block on one end, accepts the oil pressure switch so its drilled out in the center, and has a hole in the side. Then an aluminum seal goes onto the bolt followed by the hollow tap and another seal on the bottom. This all then needs to be inserted into the hole that you cant reach without the bottom seal falling off.
I paid so much attention to the bottom seal that I failed to notice that the top seal had fallen off the mounting shoulder and was askew.
Torqued everything down, installed the factory switch and fired her up. It puked out high pressure oil all over the motor. Cloud of smoke.
Pulled the thing apart, inspected the upper seal and it was creased and deformed allowing the oil to leak.
Had a spare seal, installed it and tried again. Same result. More smoke.
Went to Autozone again. Found several fiber pan plug gaskets that looked like they would work. Took them home and after opening up the center hole a bit they did fit.
Reinstalled everything and have "smoke" tested it several times. Its not leaking. I am optimistic that this may be the permanent fix!
Time will tell