Rear Deck Protectors - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow57 View Post
I bet some days it's just hard to decide, huh?
Not with all the snow and ice lately, but I am a fairly year round rider. The DC traffic is much easier on a bike!

Plus I have taken a trip or two: BMWBMW • View topic - Jim and Kermit's Big Adventure (well, big to us)

Sorry for the Hijack!

Jim

2008 Sky Redline
If your goal in life is to stir the pot, be careful, you may find the pot stirring you!
Tiny Mods:
Trifecta Tune, KappaSphere Billet Grill, KappaRack, Painted Calipers, Engine Cover, DDM Backbone, Vert Top Cover, FlySwatter, Short Antenna, Painted Visors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

That IS a big adventure, nice! And no problem with the hijack, I'm up for motorcycle talk anytime I put around 10-12K per year on the bike (Honda VTX 1800) and maybe 3K/yr on the car. If it's not raining or below freezing, I'm going to take the bike every time.

I'm fortunate in Texas we have an option to buy car insurance by the mile (milemeter.com). Saves me big for insuring a car that mostly just sits in the garage, I pay around 11 cents/mile, you buy miles in 1000 mile increments, so it usually runs me about $330 per year for full coverage, including uninsured motorists coverage, which came in really handy about 3 weeks ago, resulting in a "new to me" Solstice now sitting in my garage. Just waiting for my broken ankle to heal so maybe I'll even get to drive it one of these days!

My wife rides her own bike too, we take a long trip every summer. Last year it was Tail of the Dragon, year before it was national parks in Utah. This year we're splitting it up, one week in Texas' Big Bend area, and 1 week up to Mt Rushmore. We've never made one as long as the one you posted about... not in one sitting... That's probably going to have to wait till retirement. We take it pretty easy, lollygag along on back roads, stop and look around a lot, usually around 200-350 miles per day, occasionally might hit 500 or so, especially the first and last days of the trip...
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgronk View Post
If the top is smooth, and only the adhesive is cracked how about heating with a hair dryer and massaging a test area to see if the heat and pressure will bleed the adhesive back together and remove the cracks? Might be a 5 minute job which could cost nothing. Worth a test anyway.
Don't think it's going to get that fluid no matter how hot I get it... The cracks are all brown and discolored... Once I get the blow dryer on it I'll probably go ahead and pull them off... Soon as this cold spell ends. Some very un-Texas like weather going on this week!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM

Thanks RTE and all.
A new mod. Take the film off.
LLLFLY

08 PW SKY R/L 5-spd,The Wolf
Winner Goodyear Bimp flight 2010 NASSM
Best of Show Old Bridge,NJ 2011
Winner best interior 2012 NASSM
DDMWorks:,WindRestrictor
Elizabethtown,PA
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llllfly View Post
Thanks RTE and all.
A new mod. Take the film off.
LLLFLY
Wow, you must have a really bad internet connection or you're using a dial-up, it took 3 years for your message to finally post
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 05:05 PM

Good things take time,
LLLFLY

08 PW SKY R/L 5-spd,The Wolf
Winner Goodyear Bimp flight 2010 NASSM
Best of Show Old Bridge,NJ 2011
Winner best interior 2012 NASSM
DDMWorks:,WindRestrictor
Elizabethtown,PA
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 PM

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 05:23 PM

Think this has been discussed before but I figured this thread is back up so.... My Solstice is now 8 years old (cant believe that) only 20,000 miles so it's pretty well preserved. I get tired of trying to get wax off the edges of the protectors after I have it detailed. So for those who have removed them -- If I took them off now, would the paint underneath most likely be noticeably different? And do they just peel off?

I usually am pretty good with the search function so I can probably find the answers somewhere on the forum but thought I'd ask here first.

VIN# 4257 Deep - Conv. pkg-Power pkg - ABS - LSD - floormats Mods: Kappashield - Chrome door locks - caliper decals - visor sticker covers - Kappa alum pedals - Vector ECM reflash - AEM Cold Air Intake - Flowmaster 40 exhaust - chrome fender vents - aluminum door sills - RK sport rear wing (best appearance mod yet) Normís Recessed Grills- awesome!
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 05:06 AM

What do you use to clean them? Mine are cloudy and dull
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
I did not replace them on either of our Kappa's when they were repainted over 2 years ago. There has been no problem at all. If you look, the buttresses "float" above the trunk lid and do not come in contact with them. If yours are improperly aligned, and do come in contact with the trunk lid paint, then you can get generic clear bra material, cut out the piece you need and install it. Problem solved.

The buttress plug rings are held on with 3M tape. You can use dental floss and a little heat to pop them off, then heat the existing plastic film to get the glue to release and pull them off. A little solvent will remove any residual glue.
This looks great Rob - so use a little heat and floss to remove the plug rings. Did you just use new 3M double sided tape to refasten them?

What about the black plastic protector that's on the front edge of the trunk lid - the thing that's there to prevent the buttress plug from hitting the trunk when you raise the lid. Do those use 3M tape also? The film is under these protectors why I ask...
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:45 AM

I am currently going through the process of removing the protection. Mine were severely cracked and discolored (par for course considering the car is 14 years old).

I reattached the rings with 3M VHB tape. Used the 1" wide tape and used two strips and an hobby knife to trim.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotc...C-SF/203405976

Still deciding if I want to apply new film. It looks great without it. I will be driving the car 90% of the time with the top down anyways.

--Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in