Smoothline Hard Top Installed! - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sol View Post
My buddy and I removed it and stored it for about a week and a half. Putting it back on is a bit of a learning process but one gets better at it. k it is coming down through the flip things on the tulip which are up to allow
Hey NS

Do you think a hardtop hoist could be built or bought. I know I've seen them for sale for other removable hardtop vehicles. Glad you're enjoying it still on my radar so I enjoy pics and review. Be nice to do a group buy but last time I talked to Smoothline was told they don't do them anymore due to people committing and then not following through when they have built them.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Hey NS

Do you think a hardtop hoist could be built or bought. I know I've seen them for sale for other removable hardtop vehicles. Glad you're enjoying it still on my radar so I enjoy pics and review. Be nice to do a group buy but last time I talked to Smoothline was told they don't do them anymore due to people committing and then not following through when they have built them.
Yo Chop!
Go on the Smoothline sight and under accessories you will see the hoists both motorized and manual. I would have got this if I had my own garage but I live in a Condo and they would not allow it. I bought the cart and it is of good quality. As for group buy you would have to talk to Jack at Smoothline. He told me they are pretty swamped with orders so not sure if they would go for it. IMO for the quality of the item it is worth every penny. The price is good value.
Cheers,
NS

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
post #33 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:05 AM

Northern Sol.....Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I was wondering if you have any idea what the name of the "Drip guard" molding is that you have. It is way bigger than the garbage smoothline gives with their tops now, and I'm thinking if I could get whatever that drip guard molding is it would fix my leaking window issues. Please please I hope you know what it is! I'm desperate at this point!!!
post #34 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Northern Sol.....Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I was wondering if you have any idea what the name of the "Drip guard" molding is that you have. It is way bigger than the garbage smoothline gives with their tops now, and I'm thinking if I could get whatever that drip guard molding is it would fix my leaking window issues. Please please I hope you know what it is! I'm desperate at this point!!!
The moulding is what I got from Smoothline when I picked up the top from them. They cut it and installed it as I watched. I have no idea what it is called. I sold my hardtop a few years back when I added the coupe to my family. Sorry I could not be of more help.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #35 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:07 PM

I never installed the ones I received with my hardtop, they're so thin I'm not sure how well they'd work. Plus I like it without them for a clean look.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #36 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:16 PM

Northern sol when they were cutting the molding was it circular and they pinched it to the edge of the hardtop or was there a round part and a flat part then the flat part is what went to the underside of the top?
post #37 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Northern sol when they were cutting the molding was it circular and they pinched it to the edge of the hardtop or was there a round part and a flat part then the flat part is what went to the underside of the top?
Sorry. It was years ago. I donít remember.

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #38 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:27 PM

MattM I'm the guy that bought Northern's hardtop. If there's any pictures I could take to help you just let me know. It still happens to be on my car so it wouldn't be a problem to take some if you think it would help. I've always been able to get the top to seal really well on my car ever since I bought it from Northern. I put it on in the late fall and usually take it off around this time of year. It's likely to be on quite a bit longer this time but that's a whole different story.
post #39 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:39 AM

Very classy Northern. You never cease to amaze me with your mods.
post #40 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryderca View Post
Very classy Northern. You never cease to amaze me with your mods.
Thanks. I did love it. Once I bought the coupe I had to find a soft top to go with. I was lucky on two fronts....
1) Sold my Smoothline top to Criggleman ....he was a pleasure to deal with and meet.
2) Found a coupe soft top .....a very difficult thing to now get. Took it to JPM and had Joe recover it in black sail cloth. The proceeds from the hard top went towards the soft top. 😎

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #41 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRiggleman View Post
MattM I'm the guy that bought Northern's hardtop. If there's any pictures I could take to help you just let me know. It still happens to be on my car so it wouldn't be a problem to take some if you think it would help. I've always been able to get the top to seal really well on my car ever since I bought it from Northern. I put it on in the late fall and usually take it off around this time of year. It's likely to be on quite a bit longer this time but that's a whole different story.
Hey CRiggleman. Thank you for the help! If you could open the door and turn the flash on on your camera...I need fairly close up pics of the weatherstrip areas including the underside of the top where that drip rail is stuck on. I need to see if it's L-shaped or not. I'll be honest it's harder than hell trying to find anything L shaped that size for a "drip rail" on the internet! Thanks for any help you can give!
post #42 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:46 AM

Also criggleman could you get close up picks from under and behind where the weatherstrip goes into the cars windshield weatherstrip? I need to know if your weatherstrip is not fastened to the top for the last 4 inches or so before it goes into the windshield weatherstrip...
post #43 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:55 AM

@MattM : You might want to post pictures of the areas of your car that you want to see.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #44 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 AM

Good point. I'll post over lunch at 12 today.
post #45 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:43 AM

Ok so the first pic I've circled in white the first thing I need pictures of. This is the Drip Guard/rain guard/drip molding etc. I need to know how it's on there. Like, is it just stick on flat molding or is it L shaped and wrapped around the corner along the open (by corner I mean the corner made when the side of the top turns into the bottom of the top.

Smoothline Hard Top Installed!-photo-drip-guard.jpg

I'll need close up pics of that molding at the front corner, the open the door and get a pic from the underside of the top near that area (so I can see if it's wrap around molding).

Then the second attachment I've circled what I need in white as well....Basically, I need you to get me really close pics with flash on for all these pics of the area where the weatherstrip goes into the windshield weather strip. I need a close up from the outside of the car then with the door open sit in the car and point the camera from under the top to that area where the weatherstriping buts into the windshield weather strip. As many angles of that pic as you can give because I can't understand how it stays fastened for that last 4 inches (since there is nothing for the weatherstripping to tape to!

Smoothline Hard Top Installed!-weatherstrip-circled.jpg

The third pic is what my weather stripping looks like right now because I can't attached it to the top (again nothing to attach to). The third pic I've circled where my problem with leaking (on both sides is) and I drew an arrow to show how those last 4 inches hang loose sort of because there is nothing underneath at that point to attach it too.

Smoothline Hard Top Installed!-pic-showing-loose-weatherstrip.jpg

The last pic I'm posting to show people what I'm talking about regarding (no place to attach weatherstripping).

This last pic shows the top without weatherstrip on. You see for almost all the run of the top there is a rail for the weatherstripping (I drew an arrow and said rail) then the last four inches or so are completely dead space (i drew an arrow and said no rail). In that dead space there is nothing to attach the weatherstripping to.

Smoothline Hard Top Installed!-pic-top-no-weatherstrip.jpg

That's why I need to see those areas from Criggleman so I know how everything is installed and what i need to do to fix my major problem with my top!

P.S. Criggleman, I could really use your help as soon as possible! My car cover blew off the car last night and it poured, and my interior is soaked!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode