Smoothline Hard Top Installed! - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:19 AM

So here's what Smoothline sent w/my hardtop. I can't lay it out straight due to it being below freezing in the garage. Even though it is one piece I'm assuming you're meant to cut it in half. It's hard to get unclose detail due to the light and low quality cell phone.

Now that I see the pics of the area of the seals that you want I will take some pics tomorrow. The car is still in storage, and it's currently raining, but it's suppose to be sunny tomorrow so I should be able to pull it out of the garage. BTW, I don't drive the car in the rain, and I didn't adjust the side windows to better seal with the hardtop. I do know that when I wash it water will come in around the side windows and under the back seal. So I minimize directing the hose nozzle toward those areas.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 03-23-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:38 AM

Choptops...thats the super tiny drip guard molding they sent with yours too isn't it? You are right it is worthless!
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Also criggleman could you get close up picks from under and behind where the weatherstrip goes into the cars windshield weatherstrip? I need to know if your weatherstrip is not fastened to the top for the last 4 inches or so before it goes into the windshield weatherstrip...
Hey MattM, I think these three shots might help you out. It looks like that last bit that you can't figure out how to put on was adhered on my top with some clear RTV. As you can see in the one close up it looks like mine is starting to wear a little and I need to redo it. I never had leak issues before this winter but now that I think about it, when I had it out a couple of months ago it did leak some and I'm pretty sure that's why.

This first shot is how I always tucked the smoothline seal into the seal on my car. Also you can see the RTV used to adhere the last bit of the smoothline seal.

Probably a better shot of the RTV.

Window up but you can see how the RTV is a little loose and the seal is a little low. I need to fix that.

I hope these help. Let me know if you need any others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0102191926.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	94453   Click image for larger version

Name:	0102191927.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	94455   Click image for larger version

Name:	0102191929.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	94457  
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:34 PM

Door closed

Door open

Passenger side, hard to see but there's about a 1/8 gap between the seal and the window so it would definitely leak in a rain storm.

However as I said, I believe in order to get a tight seal with the hardtop you have to adjust the windows. I don't see the sense in doing that if you have to turn around and readjust them again when going back to the soft top.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:04 AM

Holy ****!!!!! Clear etc sealant!!!!! I never even thought to use that!!!! That makes sense now!

Criggleman how about the drip guard above the window. Any idea what that might be? Is it l shaped wraps around the edge?
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:11 AM

I'm definitely using that etc sealant trick!!!!

When I get home after work I'll take pics of what I did for my driver side window. It looks like absolute garbage but I think it seals.

Essentially what I did was to use a shape weatherstrip and wedge in where there were gaps. Choptops. The a shape weatherstrip might fix your problem with the passenger side gap as well...then when you put the soft top up you can just pull the z shape off. It's really cheap on Amazon btw.
post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:12 AM

Sorry meant it to say z shape weatherstrip every time I talk about weatherstrip.
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:14 AM

Choptops. Your window really cuts in low and seals low in the weather stripping. I can see how it would push that area up and help seal. I'd have to modify my window to get it to do that.
post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:08 AM

BTW...I wanted to thank you CRiggelman and Choptop for taking the time to help me with this! It really was killing me (and probably the interior of my car)!!
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:35 AM

I'm thinking about going with something like one of the following two "fender protector kits" in carbon fiber as the "drip guard" for my top. Don' know how it would look but...It would keep water from washing over the sides right into that weatherstrip. I'm buying two versions to check. Hoping one will look good and will work well.

Tell me what you guys think:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	possible lip for cover.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	94515   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd lip option.jpg
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	94517   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd lip option2.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	94519  
post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:58 PM

Ok....So....I'm thinking I fixed the leaking with the z shape weatherstrip and was anxious to get home tonight (since it was raining).

Well suffice it to say based on this picture:
Smoothline Hard Top Installed!-flooded-interior.jpg

That didn't happen. Super flooded!!!!!!!

Here is what I tried to do with the z shape weatherstrip (it obviously didn't work):
Smoothline Hard Top Installed!-partial-z-shape-weatherstrip.jpg

Here is a pic of what I'm trying to do now with a longer strip of the z shape weatherstrip. I'm hoping it will work (probably won't though):
Smoothline Hard Top Installed!-full-zshape-strip.jpg
post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
So here's what Smoothline sent w/my hardtop. I can't lay it out straight due to it being below freezing in the garage. Even though it is one piece I'm assuming you're meant to cut it in half. It's hard to get unclose detail due to the light and low quality cell phone.

Now that I see the pics of the area of the seals that you want I will take some pics tomorrow. The car is still in storage, and it's currently raining, but it's suppose to be sunny tomorrow so I should be able to pull it out of the garage. BTW, I don't drive the car in the rain, and I didn't adjust the side windows to better seal with the hardtop. I do know that when I wash it water will come in around the side windows and under the back seal. So I minimize directing the hose nozzle toward those areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRiggleman View Post
Hey MattM, I think these three shots might help you out. It looks like that last bit that you can't figure out how to put on was adhered on my top with some clear RTV. As you can see in the one close up it looks like mine is starting to wear a little and I need to redo it. I never had leak issues before this winter but now that I think about it, when I had it out a couple of months ago it did leak some and I'm pretty sure that's why.

This first shot is how I always tucked the smoothline seal into the seal on my car. Also you can see the RTV used to adhere the last bit of the smoothline seal.

Probably a better shot of the RTV.

Window up but you can see how the RTV is a little loose and the seal is a little low. I need to fix that.

I hope these help. Let me know if you need any others.
Hey guys, have an update. I bought a bunch of different types of the "fender flares" for a rain/drop guard for the top. One of them came in and I'm liking the color of it (it perfectly matches the color type of carbon fibre on the top now)! It also stands far out from the window which I think/hope will if not eliminate all the water hitting the weatherstriping and leaking in at least slow the leake down to a very slow drip. I've attached to pics of my wife holding the "rain guard" to the hard top.

Smoothline Hard Top Installed!-top-new-drip-guard1.jpg
Smoothline Hard Top Installed!-top-new-drip-guard2.jpg
post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:55 PM

So, I did install the one fender guard I had onto the driver side of the top. I don't think it takes away from the look of the hardtop at all, and I definitely think it will help with controlling the water leaking in. Does that mean it will stop it entirely? I don't know yet. It definitely did help keep water away from the weatherstriping that came on the hardtop which I think is going to completely stop leaking from there at least. Here are two pics of the "hardtop lip" installed over the driver's side. I'll have to wait to install the passenger side until this weekend since they were ordered separately.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	top with lip1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	94587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top with lip2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	94589  
post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:18 AM

Here are better pics to see what it looks like on the car...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dry drip guard2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	94595   Click image for larger version

Name:	dry drip guard1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	94597  
post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:44 AM

Do you get additional wind noise from them?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode