Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Windscreens...here we go again.

5K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Saveaux 
#1 ·
After seeing many windscreens on other kappa's at this years NASSAM I finally decided that I'd like to try one out. I've scouring both the forums and the internet for possible vendors. I was surprised to find as many as I did, I honestly thought there was only one, the Windrestrictor.

Last night I saw a club members version 2 Windrestrictor (front mount, not trunk mount) and I was disappointed to see how scratched up it was. He told me hes planning to get another to replace it. I dont know how well he cared for it, I just know it wasnt pleasing to my eye.

Knowing that the Windrestrictor can be scratched I've now shifted my thoughts to considering a tempered glass screen as opposed to the acrylic. Additionally I'd prefer a permanent bolt in version (I dont want Windrestrictors velcro).

I've only managed to find one company that makes the tempered glass, and that is the Windblade.

I've read as many posts as I could with searching the term "windblade". Most of these posts were caustic and didnt have good information. Good information in regards to how well does it perform, how the installation is, or even pictures. I dont care that the vendor may have had repeated poor approaches once it comes to debating his windscreen vs a competitor's.

So....do yall know of any other tempered glass windscreen vendor alternatives that BOLT in? Have any pictures? Find a forum thread that ISN'T broken?

I'm interested in a plain (non-etched) and tinted screen for what it's worth.

If your truly believe that acrylic is fine and scratch resistant then let me know! My car gets driven maybe once a week and lives in my garage. So it's always well taken care of. I dont see myself as the type to scratch anything but you never know. I'm the type that would rather spend his money once on a great product as opposed to buying less durable items and simply replacing them every so often.

Thanks in advance for any advise you see fit to give me. Yall are the best bunch of car enthusiast I've ever had he opportunity to work with, and I appreciate everyone time and knowledge.

Happy Friday!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a Windrestrictor. Mine does Velcro right behind the top of the seats so no one ever sees how it is attached. I did not want any electronics in my WR. And I did not want it interfering in any way with the top storage and trunk lid. The top needed to go up and down without interference and/or removing the WR. I got all of this with WR.

Anything that requires any drilling will NOT happen on my car. I'm like you with a mostly garage queen.

WR has been very good in my eyes. And I really don't know how it would get scratched ..... I get comments about my WR, but to my knowledge no one has ever touched it.?? And if others are getting scratched, I sure haven't seen it.

#9 ·
I have a WR and like previously mentioned by 44th Sky it's mounting velcro strips are invisible unless the seat backs are leaned entirely forward. In normal use the mounts are invisible. It in no way interferes with raising or lowering the top. Mine has NO scratches. Follow WR's instructions and use the provided microfiber towel for cleaning and you're scratch free and good to go.
I agree. I've had my Windrestrictor V2 for over 7 years....no scratches.

#20 ·
Hey, sorry to be so late on this...But, that's not true. At all. First off, we're made of Acrylite not Lexan. It might be taller, but it certainly isn't thicker. Also, please note our bracketing systems are vastly different. Those unsightly plastic straps or belts are also unsafe. We standby the fact that we make the strongest wind blocker on the market. If you have any questions, please let me know.

#4 ·
If your car came with the original fly swatter, I recommend the Europen one. I hated the holes in my car, so their version filled them perfectly.

If you don't have fly swatter holes, I highly recommend the Windrestrictor set up. I have two cars with them and have had for nearly 4 years on one. No scratches, nothing hits it when putting the top up and down. Great company to work with and you can have any emblem you want on it, or any design you can come up with. Quich shipment and a variety of electrical options.

And most importantly they sponsor this site.

#6 ·
I have five WRs. My favorite has mean mounted for several years. No scratches. Lexan does not like alcohol. It will check the surface. Treated with the same basic care as the paint they will function indefinitely

Mine are screwed on. Three screws per side. This is in addition to the Velcro like material that comes with each unit

#7 ·
I have a WR and like previously mentioned by 44th Sky it's mounting velcro strips are invisible unless the seat backs are leaned entirely forward. In normal use the mounts are invisible. It in no way interferes with raising or lowering the top. Mine has NO scratches. Follow WR's instructions and use the provided microfiber towel for cleaning and you're scratch free and good to go.

#8 ·
Well I must say everyone's arguement was quite strong. I'm thinking the scratched up WR I saw just happened to be a one-off.

I've ordered a Version 2 WR. ?

Rob, do you mind sharing pictures of your WR mounting screws, or could I find pictures under the punisher thread?

#10 · (Edited)
All of the Windrestrictors I saw at NASSAM seemed to be in great shape. I understand wanting a sturdier material than polycarbonate (Lexan typically), but for this application it may be the optimal choice.

If you're really set on glass, you would get the Lexan version and come up with a mounting strategy (see Rob's post above), and modify the Lexan so that it's mountable without the velcro stuff. Once that's all good, take it to a local glass shop and have them make you a glass version using your modified unit as a template. Sure, you're basically paying for it twice, but it'll get you to your goal.

Or, if you're really feeling creative, just make a cardboard template and take that to the glass gurus. That's what *I* would do, but my path is rarely optimal.

Personally, I like the wind whipping through my wavy locks (lockes? locs? whatever).

#13 ·
No scratches on my Windrestrictor V2. It does buffet at times making some noise. I also drive with the seat all the way back. This causes the top edge of the Windrestrictor to rub on the back of the headrest. Worried that in time this will cause damage to the seat leather.

I purchased mine through AutoAnything. They almost always have free shipping, no tax in some states and a 20% discount code. Currently $123 for a clear unlit version, $200 for engraved lighted with free shipping. Haven't found them cheaper anywhere else.

#14 ·
Well I lied....I had a v2 Windrestrictor in my shopping cart with my credit card information plugged in along with my shipping information. I sat on it for a moment and posted that I ordered one. In my hesitation I went one more time to Windblades site and then contacted the seller. He text me a number of photos and explained that it takes two bolts 1/8" to hold the unit it. The bolts go through the rear plastic and into the metal behind the plastic for a sturdy fit. I ultimately went with the Windblade because its tempered glass with the tint in the glass (no film on the outside), also because of its low profile which (5.75" above waterfall). They offered a 7.5" height. Windrestrictor appears to be 6.5" according to other forum threads I read.

Rob, I know you said that you bolted yours in. I read other posts and one in particular said that the owner overtighten and cracked his acrylic WR, I want a solid mount and the cracking scared me.

I wanted tinted tempered glass with a low profile that has a solid mount....I'll keep the thread updated with pictures once it comes in. Everyone did a great job on selling me onto the WR. I feel confident that it's a wonderful product with great customer service and a forum supporting vendor I just had my heart would on real glass. We'll see how the Windblade works out. If its crap then I'll be getting. V2 Windrestrictor.

#15 ·
I want a solid mount and the cracking scared me.
If you used a grommet and a washer on each side, and don't torque the bolts down crazy-tight, cracking wouldn't be an issue.

While I also find it distasteful to mount things with tape, velcro and the like, it appears to work fine for this application. Also, it has the advantage of being reversible, if that's a concern. (I just assume when I buy a car that it'll wind up in the scrap yard when I'm done with it, so I've never worried about reversibility. Shrug.)

#17 ·
I like the low profile look they're showing, however this website only appears to offer trunk mounted windscreens. According to other peoples posts that I've read, the trunk mounted variants can damage the rubber trunk seal as the trunks being closed. Also the trunk mounted wind deflectors may not work as efficiently as a front mounted. Additionally trunk mounted can run on the glass of the tops up and damage things. I've only read about these things, but it was enough to sway me towards front mounts.

#19 ·
Yeah I know =(. I know theres a fine balance between what's functional and what's "cool". I'm pursuing the cool factor just a tad more than effectiveness.

I did see several options that are larger than the WR, that just didn't fit my "cool" bill.

The cool factor is more stressed and regulated on the silver car's, heck, even GM saw fit to name our paint correctly. Cool. ?

#21 · (Edited)
I very much appreciated all the feedback I got. I ultimately went with a tempered glass screen. I'm very impressed with how solid it is. It utilizes a screw that was already behind the plastic, I just had to drill an 1/8 hole through the plastic so the screw could go back into the metal housing. Looks and works great.

I hit 100mph on a lonely highway this past Saturday. This thing is solid as a rock, absolutely no movement from the wind.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.