Any Dyno's Of Redlines or GXPs on Base Trifecta Tune with Solo HiFlow Downpipe? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MattM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Any Dyno's Of Redlines or GXPs on Base Trifecta Tune with Solo HiFlow Downpipe?

Hey! Title says it all.

I've searched and searched and searched and I can't seem to find any dyno's anywhere of a redline (or gxp) with a Trifecta base tune and Solo Hiflow downpipe. I know the typical stock redline with base trifecta numbers are around 250-280 whp and 300-315ft lbs of torque (judging by 1/4mile performance my car's 13.6 at 102 last year was right there in that range before the downpipe). I'm just really curious to see what a Solo Hiflow downpipe does to those numbers and am hopeful someone out there has a dyno of one.
raygun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:33 AM

Garage
Vince told me way back when we were tuning my car that the best he had seen was about 286 whp. The Solo CAT should add around 10 whp to that (although many will claim more). Someone must have some actual dyno results to confirm.

As I was looking through my old emails with him, I found an interesting comment on tuning the NA cars. He said that the gains with them were often better than customers expected because the stock tune has a PE mode that requires about a 5 second lag between flooring it and getting full enrichment. By eliminating that, he was seeing up to 20 ft-lbs improvement on those cars.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

So I did find a somewhat similar comparison on Skyroadster.com (which i'm quoting below). It's from Monadzback's dynos. First dyno was trifecta on stock redline. Second dyno was a gutted cat, but on a custom Trifecta tune (so it would be a little different) but the stock tunes are definitely comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Ok. Closest comparo i could find has to do with Monadzback's dynos. The first graph is a stock Redline with Trifecta tune:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/a...104101&thumb=1

The second one is of Monadzback's Redline with gutted cat and 25 psi trifecta tune:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/a...104103&thumb=1

This is on the same superflow dyno as well. So on the stock cat dyno with trifecta he made 264whp and 310ftlbs torque. On the second dyno with gutted cat he made 283whp and 348 ftlbs torque.

I think the really high torque increase on the second dyno has to do more with the modified tune than the gutted cat.

That said, he dynoed without the trifecta on stock car and got 232whp and 236ftlbs torque. He also dynoed after the gutted cat on the stock tune and got 253.5whp and around 250ftlbs of torque....

Essentially, I'd say he was able to get about a 20whp and 20ftlbs of torque increase with the gutted cat. That at least is some good evidence to go on. As to the differences of the tuned numbers....I would very much doubt I'd see a 38ftlb of torque increase over a stock cat. I think he may have gotten it retuned by vince after he gutted the cat. Anyway, at least we have similar circumstances to make a comparison.

Here is the stock tune stock cat dyno curve:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/a...104105&thumb=1

Here is the stock tune gutted cat dyno curve(again this one made 253whp and around 250 torque:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/a...104107&thumb=1

PS. sorry for the low quality of the "gutted cat" dyno curves...I basically took screen shots of the video he had of the dyno.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monadsback stock car stock tune.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	93609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gutted Cat Stock Tune.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	93611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monadzback stock car Trifecta dyno 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	93613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monadzback Trifecta Gutted Cat 26psi dyno.png
Views:	45
Size:	578.4 KB
ID:	93615  
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Thanks Matt. Very interesting as i'm going to get a dyno this spring done on my coupe as i do have the hiflo with DDM'S high end tune. This dyno stuff is a real learning curve for me as trying to understand it all.

Last edited by easyryderca; 02-07-2019 at 11:01 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

When comparing dynos. There are a few things to look at. The stock dynos (without the gutted cats) have obviously been smoothed a little more but the overall characteristics of the graphs (comparative shapes) of the before and after graphs are pretty similar. What most people do (but you shouldn't) is compare just the top numbers. What's more important are the changes to the shapes of the graphs before and after the peaks.

Just to observe....I've circled a few places on the two graphs and drawn the shapes their increases make. The second graph shows a more aggressive increase over the first one, which means you are getting much better performance throughout your rpm range and power band. That would be the one you want EVEN if the peak numbers are lower because you are only getting better performance at one single spot of the curve. Hopefully that makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monadzback stock car Trifecta dyno 22.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	93653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monadzback Trifecta Gutted Cat 26psi dyno2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	93655  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode