Dirty Valves - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappasky View Post
I’ve read in other forums the potential damage of a piece of carbon that was picked off going through the cyclinder and exiting out the exhaust port and damaging the turbo. Speculative, but plausible.
The manual cleaning of the valve and intake tract with either blasting or scraping is done with the valve closed, one valve at a time. With the valve closed, nothing will enter the cylinder. Carbon chunks are vacuumed or blown out prior to reassembly.

What you read was the cleaning of the valves using Seafoam or CRC Valve Cleaner sprayed into the manifold. That method entails spraying the cleaner into the intake with the engine running. The carbon does not dissolve. It comes off in chunks. That's where the piece of carbon, which is very hard and sharp, could lodge in the cylinder, turbo or cat.

There are several threads about this on the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Has anyone used water injection and did it help at all with this? I've been wondering for a while about this.
My engine has about 35,000 miles on it and has had methanol injection for about the last 20,000. It's going to be tore down soon. I might have a little info about whether or not it helps later this spring.
easyryderca and syjos like this.
post #18 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRiggleman View Post
My engine has about 35,000 miles on it and has had methanol injection for about the last 20,000. It's going to be tore down soon. I might have a little info about whether or not it helps later this spring.
That would be very informative.

And pictures.
post #19 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:59 PM

I'm going to rip mine apart over the next week or two. I have 84k on it and have never done this. I'll let everyone know what I find.
easyryderca and syjos like this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #20 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:31 PM

"In the old days" we used to use water injection to cool the intake charge (advance the timing) with the side benefit of steam cleaning the cylinders. This was of course for carbs not direct injection.

Dwaine

07 American Sky Redline
Vin 1G8MG35X27Y120974
post #21 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
"In the old days" we used to use water injection to cool the intake charge (advance the timing) with the side benefit of steam cleaning the cylinders. This was of course for carbs not direct injection.
"in the old days", we just ran the engine at a high rpm and just poured water into the carburetor. if you've ever seen an engine that has a head gasket blown into a water passage, you will know how 'clean' the cylinder and head looks.
Bill
easyryderca likes this.
post #22 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@rob the elder

Thank you for the offer to use your facilities, it's greatly appreciated!! I'm still trying to figure out how I want to approach this, whether it's purchasing everything myself....or reinstalling everything, driving to your place, uninstalling, cleaning, reinstalling again.....or trailering the already disassembled car to your place....or manually cleaning everything....or saying screw it and not cleaning anything because after all, I was just trying to install the PAW spacer kit!

I've reached out to two of our forum members in another thread asking what size compressor they used and what gun to do this job. If my compressor would work, even if I only get 5 seconds of spray and then letting the compressor refill for another 5 seconds, then I would just buy the media blast kit myself and do it at my house. However, I'm afraid that after all the research that I did this morning, I would need four of my sized compressors connected in parallel just to do the job properly....but it's hard to know since I mainly found threads online for sand blasting from professionals, so their purposes are much different than mine.
post #23 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Garage
So is the correct conclusion to draw that Seafoam is never a good idea on a DI engine?

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #24 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:52 PM

I wouldn't put a decarbonizer into anything where there is a turbo at the end!!! Because a decarbonizer, I'm assuming, would also have some form of degreaser.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #25 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Garage
Chunks loosened by decabonization has been know to cause problems with the catalytic converter too.

And having sprayed decarbonizer on valves with the manifold off, the carbonized was not effective. I soaked the valves overnight with the stuff and in the morning scraping was necessary. The decarbonizer got the soft carbon but was totally useless with the hardened carbon.

I can not imagine spraying the stuff into a running engine would allow the decarbonizer to coat the valves enough to do any good. The decarbonizer would rush past the valves, into the cylinder and get pushed out too fast.
easyryderca likes this.
post #26 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:16 AM

Is there any product out there on the shelf that can help with cutting back on the carbon or one just has to wait & then clean the valves manually.
post #27 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryderca View Post
Is there any product out there on the shelf that can help with cutting back on the carbon or one just has to wait & then clean the valves manually.
CRC Carbon cleaner worked ok, not great. Carbon is a tough thing to remove.

Oven cleaner might be worth trying, but CRC is the best option so far.
post #28 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryderca View Post
Is there any product out there on the shelf that can help with cutting back on the carbon....
Plain and simple....no.

Nothing touches the intake valves on a DI motor. They cake with carbon because of this. Back in the days before DI, gasoline used to be sucked in and over the intake valves with the air, but DI, the ports are in the motor and inject the fuel directly into the combustion chamber. The valves are never touched. So NEVER let a dealership or service shop talk you into a fuel flush or decarbonization. Furthermore, in the DI NEVER use the Techron fuel additive. I strongly believe this is what that caused my HPFP to go at just 75k. Others here will disagree with that statement.... And my answer to that is that with DI, you could blow a golf ball through a garden hose, so there is absolutely NO need for Techron in a DI motor. So think about that next time you take one of your other cars for service and they try to sell you "fuel additive to clean your motor" and you have a turbo.....
syjos likes this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #29 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
So is the correct conclusion to draw that Seafoam is never a good idea on a DI engine?
I don't see carbon as a problem in a 2.4 as the only source of contaminant is the PCV and the air cleaner, so I have used Seafoam in both the gasoline and the oil on ALL my engines. on a 2.0 the ready source is from turbo lubricating oil.
Bill
post #30 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the info folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode