Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
Ghost - I'm not promoting Seafoam nor trying to fight you on the matter. I'm just trying to get information and learn.

I'm not sure much seafoam gets into the crankcase by sucking it through a vacuum line on the intake, are you saying that enough gets in to make a difference? Enough to warrant a oil change?

After a fair amount of googling and reading various forums, I can't find any direct link between a turbo or turbo seals being eaten from seafoam.

I've read several people have issues with seafoaming an old engine, of which case it was most likely a large chunk of carbon breaking free. Would regular seafoaming prevent large chunks from ever developing?

The safest answer is just to pull the intake and walnut blast the valves every 25k miles or so. An oil catch can located in the proper place may help reduce some buildup. I'm just curious if Seafoam can be used to help maintain already cleaned valves.
I understand. I'm just trying to save you a MAJOR headache down the road. I've been in the dealership world / Automotive World for over 20 years. The dealership world for 18 of those 20. I'm telling you from my experience. If you read the bottle, it states to change the oil after adding seafoam. Seafoam is snake oil, just like the BG Flushes /Quaker State Flushes/etc, etc, etc that dealerships try to sell you. Seafoam IS NOT made for DI motors...period. There is NOTHING you can do other then clean the valves manually. Don't try to take the easy way out...you'll never win.

On a side note, the only time any performance/cleaning will take place is on a normal injection engine. I've ever seen a "Fuel Induction Service" by BG work well, was on my '98 Mustang GT. It took the MPG from 15mpg to over 19MPG...and increased it's performance...but it had 80k on it when it was done.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #48 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:59 PM

There has to be some 'acceptable limit' for buildup. I know that my own '07 GXP never seemed to have any ill effects through the 54K miles I had it, and it has about 150K miles now from what I understand.

It would be nice if there was a procedure we could do at oil change intervals. Best-case, local members could get together for a valve-cleaning party.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
post #49 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:46 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
We do regular maintenance at Garage Day. This is going to be added to the list of scheduled maintenance activities.

The buildup appears to differ with each car and style of driving. You may not notice the changes as they happen slowly. Turbulence in the intake reduces air flow. Eventually you can experience inconsistent charging and pre-ignition. Loss of power.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index

post #50 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:49 PM

All the more reason to build a spare head and have it ported and polished then!

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
post #51 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ghost thanks for talking me down through my stubbornness. I really wanted there to be a quick and easy preventative maintenance job (Seafoam the intake) that would possibly prevent the need to walnut blast the valves. I completely agree now that walnut blasting is the only thing to do.

A co-worker called his BMW shop yesterday inquiring how much it would cost to have his valves cleaned after I talked with him about the procedure on my car. He was informed that usually build up develops on cars that sit often, whereas his being driven daily should mean his valves would be cleaner than a car that's never driven. I don't know if there's any merit behind this, but it makes sense to me.
post #52 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:00 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I have read it's a function of cycles. When hot there is flow not deposits. During cooling cycles, the oil coating the intake and valves hardens.

We have 45000 miles on our RL. It drives and runs great. I'm sure there is some buildup but not enough to cause impacts on how we drive the car. It's 12 years old. If we clean it next year, it will be another 12 years to the next cleaning. I'm not worried about it

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index

post #53 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 PM

Garage
On some engines, not Solstice, the build up gets so bad that the valves will not fully open from build up on the upper stem.
post #54 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:47 AM

I use seafoam or its equivalents in my gasoline AND my oil in everything I own and with no discernable damage. does wonders for the sticky lifter in my 5.7 GMC
Bill
post #55 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:40 AM

Has any one ever done a dyno before cleaning the valves & then after?
post #56 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I purchased the media blaster that @raygun suggested for $34 off Amazon and then purchased a blow gun with 24in extension from Harbor Freight for $2.99. I drilled the tip of the nozzle to the media blaster so it could fit the blow gun extension down into it, then 2-part epoxy'd the two together. Once the Mini-Cooper vacuum/media blaster adapter comes in I'll determine what length works well and then cut the 24" extension down. Here are some pictures, enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Media2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	93719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Media4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	93721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Media1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	93723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Media8.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	93725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Media7.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	93727  

post #57 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:25 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
You are having far too much fun with this.

Nice bag! I've been meaning to break mine out of cold storage and detail the car.

I'm curious what you're planning on doing with the Mini adapter. The one that I saw was 3d printed, and designed to fit the port shape on the Mini head. I'd be a little surprised if it worked on our stuff.

Of course, you could always heat the thing up with a heat gun, shove it into the head as it's melting, and re-form it to fit.

I,Compulsively,Insert,Commas.
syjos likes this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #58 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:08 PM

Garage
I,Compulsively,Insert,Commas

Raygun,

I admire people who considers punctuation important.

Too many posts with bad grammar, punctuation and spelling.

Hope I didn't misspell a word.
44thSKY likes this.
post #59 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
.......I,Compulsively,Insert,Commas.
Shouldn't you insert spaces after your compulsively inserted commas?

Seriously, I appreciate good punctuation also.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #60 of 102 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@raygun You were at NASSAM 2018? I really should have gotten off call and spent more time there than the 4-5 hours total that I did. I missed the opportunity to meet a lot of good people.

Grammer was my worst subject ever, I still to this day don't know when to use a comma. At least @raygun is a hella mechanic!

I believe the tool is aluminum....maybe???

You may have missed the below link earlier in this thread.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-1...tlanta-325238/

A Cobalt fella used this same adapter with a lot of success. I think he had pictures on the 17th response to the below thread? Check it out!
raygun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode