DIY head porting - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

DIY head porting

I couldnt find alot of info on any port work for the LNF, but since i have my head off, i was thinking about atleast cleaning up the ports. the casting is really rough on both intake and exhaust, and i doubt port matching the head to the manifold will do any harm.. anyone on here every try it themselves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 07:23 PM

Garage
yep. not on the LNF but i've done it on a couple cars. i port matched both sides and just kind of smoothed and softened the tighter curves. did the same to the intake and header. nothing scientific. the last project it was a necessity after buying an ebay knockoff of a "Venom" intake. the intake was beautiful, except that where they welded the runners to the flange was off about 3/16 of an inch. i opened the flange up and the head to match and smoothed all the transitions. don't know if it improved performance at all but it made me feel a hell of a lot better.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 05:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternityFalling View Post
I couldnt find alot of info on any port work for the LNF, but since i have my head off, i was thinking about atleast cleaning up the ports. the casting is really rough on both intake and exhaust, and i doubt port matching the head to the manifold will do any harm.. anyone on here every try it themselves?
Last time I did it was an 850cc Mini. We upgraded to dual carbs and bigger exhaust. It can't hurt, but it has greater effect on NA engines where flow is the limiting factor. On a turbo you are probably blowing off pressure at the rpms where porting would make a difference.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, South Euclid OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 09:29 AM

Garage
It is easy to make a mistake - novices almost always grind too much, go too big and end up with reduced flow velocity. They also grind by guess - and on some heads, apparent restrictions are there for a purpose.

I'd leave it to the pros. Contact a pro shop that has done this and ask for flow specs on the end result compared to the stock head.

My bet is that it will make zero or insignificant difference at the rpm normally used on the street and there is a significant risk of losing power/flow if done incorrectly.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC

Last edited by wspohn; 12-12-2017 at 09:34 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

I have an efr turbo in there and am swapping the balance shafts and springs for some fun in the higher revs, i imagine it will make more difference at 7500 rpms and over 400 hp
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:26 AM

I was shopping eastwood yesterday (buying a porting kit), this porting book is on sale: How to Port & Flow Test Cylinder Heads

I bought ZZP LE5 camshafts black Friday, so with that I am going to clean up the stock head. If I damage a seat, it will force my decision to go with oversized valves which is good for torque but bad for wallet.

"You are the product" - Autoguide.com group forums
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:29 PM

Look on cobaltss.net there are a few guys that did cams and a ported head. I seem to remember someone showing pictures of the head after porting along with the flow numbers.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

I think i found said thread, its titled porting tools. Id link it but im not sure thats allowed.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 11:46 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternityFalling View Post
I think i found said thread, its titled porting tools. Id link it but im not sure thats allowed.
Go ahead and put in the link.

I don't think it's against any rules here.

1st 1K - #741
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/loun...e1513995358368

Here it is, also some v8 porting pics.. the lnf is in the back.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:56 AM

I tried looking on cobaltss.net but couldn't find the pictures and flow charts I was looking for. I may be mixing it up with the lsj heads but I dont think so. If I remember correctly the Max increase they were getting by porting the lnf head was about 10-15%. So most went the cheaper route and just got a bigger turbo. It was only the guys that were going for the top numbers and already had a bigger turbo that were getting head work in combination with adding bigger valves. Zzp used to have a lnf head with stage 2 cams that they sold where I think you could get porting as an option. Not sure if it is still available but you might be able to find what gains they got to determine if it is worth while for you
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

update

after months of procrastination i decided to actually post some info on results.
i didnt take many pictures of my handy work, but i got me a die grinder and made the manifolds and head match the gaskets, and polished up what i could. If you look, at ~6725 rpms, is the highest point where the MAP reads 37.0 psi before porting (post port has 82lb spring upgrade, larger fuel lobe, and balance shaft delete) and the loRes boost is 2 psi lower after the porting. soo. maybe helped?
also, there is a 5 psi difference at 2500 rpm, but it also looks the pre porting tune ramps the boost slower. ill get with my tuner and see if thats the tune, or if the exhaust if moving that much quicker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171222_174019.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	758.5 KB
ID:	91065   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171222_180230.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	774.0 KB
ID:	91067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre porting.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	91069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Post porting.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	91071  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode