EDAL Anti-Lag Mod - Page 5 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 04:01 PM

Will this mod work on a Auto tranny 07 GXP with the GMPP tune or just a manual tranny?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 PM

Double post.

Last edited by 07 Sol GXP; 08-25-2009 at 04:18 PM.
post #63 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Sol GXP View Post
Will this mod work on a Auto tranny 07 GXP with the GMPP tune or just a manual tranny?
Thanks
It won't hurt anything but with a tune it won't help either.

DEEP, GT KIT,RK RAM AIR HOOD, DUAL WING, UP-SHIELD, EIB SPRNGS, DEJON CAI & I/C PIPES, CSTM EXHAUST,CSTM PAINT AND GRAPHICS, RMR STYLE BAR, LED AND ACCENT LIGHTS, CSTM GAUGE FACE, DASHHAWK, LAMBO DOORS, AVIC F700BT NAV, BONUS SUB & AMP, Prem. pkg w/leather, A/C, Auto, 18" chrome wheels, sport pedals, Backbone, Probeam, WERKS Tune.

"BLUE DEMON"

"For those who fight for it, FREEDOM has a flavor the protected will never know"

Former WCKCC member. Now MKC member.
post #64 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnys GXP View Post
It won't hurt anything but with a tune it won't help either.
Gunny:

I don't believe it helped even before the tunes became available. I could not find any difference between the two set ups, stock or EDAL. By the way what ever happened to the guy that came up with the EDAL idea in the first place? I think he also made charge pipes out of steel tubing, if I remember correctly he worked in aviation?

Frank I

PS:

If you are a member of the Kappa Performance site, you may answer me there or here. The Solstice Forum site has become too slow so I am seldom on anymore. Thanks Gunny

07 Black GXP, 5 speed
post #65 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Is this a mod that will increase boost on an already tuned ECM? I have the superchips cortex, if I did this mod would there even be any difference?

2007 Sly GXP
gmpp cai
superchips tuned
post #66 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Founding Member

I do not think this mod will help you in that regard.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #67 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:42 PM

I noticed that I hold boost til redline now instead of tapering off. Kinda nice for the 1/4 mi times, but I am sure my turbo hates it.
post #68 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 04:34 PM

Kudos . . . for the "edal" mod write-up . . .

. . . and photos.

I'm new to this forum with a "Sly" LNF Coupe, which I'd been waiting for since both Solstice concepts- Roadster and Coupe - were actually driven out to center stage at the Detroit Auto Show of January 2002 by Bob Lutz himself!

That said, I wanted to offer just one small "installation" change based on personal experience with a bit of personal preference thrown in. Whenever modifying anything from "pure stock", I prefer not cutting any original parts unless this cannot be avoided.

This applies especially to original wiring and hoses and, more specifically, where the original hoses are "formed" pieces for which exact replacements are always hard to find. So, here's what I'd do . . .

Original installation . . .

. . . 1-2-3 . . .

. . . 4-5-6 . . .

. . . Voila, final result and no original hoses cut! . . .

1960: '61 Rekord PII 1.7 3S 3.9 '69 Kadett LS 'sprint' 1.9 3A 3.18
1970: '70 GT 1.9 4S 3.44 '72 GT 2.2SSD 5S 3.44 '72 GT 2.4FI 5S 3.44P
1970:
'73 GT 1.9FI 4S 3.44 '75 1900 1.9FI 4S 3.44
1980: '85 Bitter SC 3.9FI 5S 3.44P
2000: '09 "SLY" Solstice GXP Coupe 2.0 SIDI VVT "Stage-2" Turbo 5S 3.73P
post #69 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Hello,

I have just noticed I did the EDAL MOD wrong after 6 months. The funny thing is I did notice the turbo LAG was gone after this MOD, even though I did it wrong. Can you please look at my hose config and provide comment on what the impact of doing this EDAL mod this way?
I am reluctant to change it as I am happy with how it performs, but I now can't curb my curiosity of trying it the correct way and trying to notice the difference.

post #70 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 AM

have to restate my opinion as it is long ago on this thread and people just getting here need to consider the counter point before they even think about this mod and that counter point is a doozy

this solenoid is NOT some kind of "granny control" it KEEPS the turbo spooled longer then without and it PREVENTS damage from sudden on off conditions

whence you might see some improvement on quicker spool you will not see the trade, slower spool in sudden on off situations

in addition, the sudden spool can cause damage to the turbo

this "mod" should have NEVER been a sticky as small dealer posted this information long before it became a sticky

it is bizarre this mod is a sticky and the waste gate mod is not and the administrators really need to take a look at the information and change this thread from sticky to one with serious disclaimers

ok, off my perch, carry on all
post #71 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 AM

Hi Perris,

Thanks for the warning. Is there any sound proof of this potential damage? Has anyone actually encountered an issue after performing this mod? Or is this a theoretical risk? Also, are you a mechanic or engineer that has expert knowledge in this area? I am now contemplating going back to stock as you seem to know what you are talking about. And I know Small Dealer is like a GOD around here so if he advises against this mod, then it must be a strong indicator of risk. Can anyone re-defend this mod please?
post #72 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 AM

Nothing wrong with the way you did the mod, in fact its a much cleaner install since you ditched one of the vacuum lines and capped off the port on the ic pipe. I had this mod done for 2 years now, mainly due to having an external bov that couldn't fully open when vacuum went through that solenoid, and had no issues at all.
If someone has some detailed explanation on how it prevents damage to the turbo i'd like to hear it, just saying so doesn't convince me since this is the only turbo car i've seen that has a solenoid like this.

1993 talon tsi awd - stock on the outside, modded on the inside
2008 solstice gxp - Solo Performance 3" mach exhaust + hiflow cat - dyno sheet
post #73 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyKnight View Post
Hi Perris,

Thanks for the warning. Is there any sound proof of this potential damage? Has anyone actually encountered an issue after performing this mod? Or is this a theoretical risk? Also, are you a mechanic or engineer that has expert knowledge in this area? I am now contemplating going back to stock as you seem to know what you are talking about. And I know Small Dealer is like a GOD around here so if he advises against this mod, then it must be a strong indicator of risk. Can anyone re-defend this mod please?
small dealer posted the part description, I can't find it now but when I do I'll re-post

I don't think anyone's had problems that were attributed to this mod
post #74 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
If someone has some detailed explanation on how it prevents damage to the turbo i'd like to hear it, just saying so doesn't convince me since this is the only turbo car i've seen that has a solenoid like this.
found it;

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm
A compressor bypass valve also controlled by the ECM by utilizing a remotely mounted solenoid is integrated into the unit to prevent compressor surging and damage from vibrations by opening during abrupt closed throttle conditions. When the valve is open during closed throttle deceleration conditions, the bypass valve allows the air to recirculate in the turbocharger and maintain compressor speed. Within a calibrated range during the closed throttle event, or upon a wide open throttle command the valve will then close to optimize turbo response.
there ya go
post #75 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 AM

That doesn't explain anything, a bypass valve does that anyway without the help of any solenoid, vacuum pulls it open.

1993 talon tsi awd - stock on the outside, modded on the inside
2008 solstice gxp - Solo Performance 3" mach exhaust + hiflow cat - dyno sheet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode