EFR 6758 (PAW WR-3) What to buy?? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

EFR 6758 (PAW WR-3) What to buy??

Good afternoon gents!

I have been waiting to make my purchase for a bigger turbo. I have not been able to drive my Solstice for a little over a year due to a blown factory turbo and life to tend to. After reading through many of the threads regarding this turbo and supporting mods, I still am not sure what exactly is needed in my shopping cart so that I do not have to bounce back and forth with more parts. I would prefer to not use a meth injection kit. Looking to make this a summer toy and just get it back on the road. 400whp is my goal just to have some fun cruising around town and making a few track days (only about 5 months of good weather up in Rochester, NY). I do plan on beefing up the bottom end in the future and mainly want to get it driving again so it can stop being a garage ornament.

Current mods:
K&N Typhoon intake
Solo Street/Race Exhaust
Solo High flow cat (willing to go catless)
Hahn Intercooler and charge pipes
Trifecta E47 Tune

What I have gathered so far that I need to purchase:
PAW WR-3 Turbo kit w/ pass. charge pipe (what options are best / required??)
PAW P/S res relocation kit
HP Tuners (pro kit so I will have the scanner available)

Options I have tossed around:
ZZP Stage 2 cams (with 83# springs and ti retainers) to go full e85
Opel Injectors
Phenolic Intake spacer set

All of your comments and assistance is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 05:46 PM

Dont know as much as others on this topic, but I do know your gonna have a blast with that WR-3!!! ...I do believe that 400whp is the limit on stock internals....and possibly playing with fire...this is just from what I have read, and I do not have any proof to back this up...others will chime in. I had the WR-2 and with meth injection we made 390whp. *I had many supporting mods as well*
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Haha I sure hope so! I'd be okay with tuning to 400 and then dialing it back until I can build up the bottom end. If I can go more safely then we'll see where it takes me! I thought about going with the WR-2 but for $100 difference at base price, I can't resist! I am excited just to get behind the wheel of it again. Thanks for the insight!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:43 AM

I know they are very popular, but I've never really understood ti retainers on a street car. Titanium has a fatigue life which means they will eventually fail. Maybe it is a really low risk, but it's also a really small benefit.

Daniel
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:55 AM

Just pick up the werks springs with cams if you want cams. If yoy intend to go e85 you can get away with just a fuel lobe cam. Ive ran stock retainers upwards of 450whp and 28psi and nevet once had an issue.

I would do the powersteering relocate as the efr gets really close to the resovoir. Its do able without it but i prefer having it moved.

If you want to go e85 you will need injectors, cam, and i recommend a e85 approved low prrssue pump.

Make suer you tell dave you have a k and n because he jses a different coupler for it then on the other intakes.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:59 AM

All of that sounds pretty good. If you are going to go full E85 and take advantage of it, you might be pushing the limit of the stock internals. I'm running the EFR 6758 at 24 psi on 93 and am moving 49 lbs/min and holding strong. It sure is a blast.

Also, I don't think you need the pro version, the standard version works just fine as that's what I have/use for my tuning. The pro version lets you attach an external wideband for data logging but the LNF already has a wideband built in so it's not necessary.

2007 Solstice GXP: K&N intake, Hahn IC, ZZP catless DP, ZFR 6758 @ 24PSI, Street Edition headlights
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 08:14 AM

Garage
I'm doing all that now with mine and have pretty much what you have. Although I am only going 93 (no E85 available here), I snagged the opel injectors too to help with fueling issues and the phenolic spacer. I did do the internals though (Wiesco Pistons/Molnar Rods) so I can hit past the 450 mark (if possible). Running methanol injection too.

2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport 3.2L 4x4 - Still kicking!
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP (女妖 - Banshee) - Manual - MODS LISTED HERE
2008 Polar Sky Redline (白影 - White Shadow) - Auto - Fully Loaded

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Alright so from my gathering of information based off of the posts above, if I just want to get the car in motion again, I only NEED to purchase the turbo and a tune and can safely run E47 with a moderate level of power (sub 400).

For moving forward later, it would be best to get at least the larger fuel lobe cams and opel injectors along with necessary beefing of the internals.

Again, thank you all for the details and input! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad to see this community still pushing strong! (I've been a ghost reading posts and absorbing knowledge since I bought my GXP in 2012)

I'm sure there will be more questions in the future once parts are ordered and my seat dyno requires a bit more pull.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
All of that sounds pretty good. If you are going to go full E85 and take advantage of it, you might be pushing the limit of the stock internals. I'm running the EFR 6758 at 24 psi on 93 and am moving 49 lbs/min and holding strong.
A-aron,

I finally have this installed and tuned by Dave. Looking at my log I am showing a Boost Desired psi of 40psi and I'm only logging 35lbs/min. He has only sent me one tune so far but this all seems low compared to your numbers. Boost gauge on the dash is maxed out at 25psi. It pulls hard but the numbers via hptuners don't seem right. Is there any way I can email you my log and see if I am doing this right? This is my first time using HPTuners. Thanks in advance!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 10:43 AM

PS.... This is BlitzkreiG but when the page was hacked, my account was deleted and not able to be recovered so this is my new tag!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 04:42 AM

did you figure this out yet?

Mysterious GXP
ZFR/E47
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 04:53 AM

brap,
I'm still logging back and forth and working on tuning with Dave. I loaded up my second tune yesterday and haven't had a chance to log it yet. I'm running an E47 blend but it only feels like a little quicker spool time.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 10:23 AM

You need to make a custom PID to read the correct desired boost. The desired boost is calculating with baro. you need to subtract it. So if you desire 40psi your actually around 25 for desired. Do you have a PID set up to monitor actual boost? What is your injector constant for your e47 tune?

Mysterious GXP
ZFR/E47
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanioN View Post
A-aron,

I finally have this installed and tuned by Dave. Looking at my log I am showing a Boost Desired psi of 40psi and I'm only logging 35lbs/min. He has only sent me one tune so far but this all seems low compared to your numbers. Boost gauge on the dash is maxed out at 25psi. It pulls hard but the numbers via hptuners don't seem right. Is there any way I can email you my log and see if I am doing this right? This is my first time using HPTuners. Thanks in advance!
Hey sorry I didn't reply sooner. Life has been busy and I haven't had a chance to log in lately. Congrats on the turbo purchase and getting the car back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brap View Post
You need to make a custom PID to read the correct desired boost. The desired boost is calculating with baro. you need to subtract it. So if you desire 40psi your actually around 25 for desired. Do you have a PID set up to monitor actual boost? What is your injector constant for your e47 tune?
^brap is correct. The 40 psi reading is absolute pressure, which equates to 25 psi gauge.

The 35 lbs/min is concerning though, and the e47 should definitely be more noticeable.

2007 Solstice GXP: K&N intake, Hahn IC, ZZP catless DP, ZFR 6758 @ 24PSI, Street Edition headlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode