GM Stage II Kit review - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Furthermore, if you are doing this with your stock engine, and you successfully get a measured increase in boost, it is only temporary unless you are constantly unplugging your battery. The powertrain software will sense that it is overproducing boost, and learns the engine back down to stock torque each key cycle. In a handful of key cycles, you will no longer have any additional boost and be right back to stock torque.

Maybe I am not understanding the nature of the mod.
The mod consists of readjusting the starting position of the wastegate lever by moving the 2 nuts in tandum to put more pressure on wastegate valve. You are correct that with
the oem software, it soon relearns and most of your boost increase is learned out BUT
what is not relearned is the big improvement in transient throttle response because
the wastegate does not open as quickly.

PS: Another question-What boost level max do u see on DIC with stage kit, 20-21????

tf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofreak View Post
PS: Another question-What boost level max do u see on DIC with stage kit, 20-21????
Good Question.
25 days away.
WOW, it might happen in 2008.

LUSIFER has been Sold
I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #18 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

In cooler weather, I see normally 14 PSI near full throttle high RPM. This goes up a few psi in warmer weather.

With the Performance Upgrade in today's weather, I see 18PSI. I would estimate a gain of about 3 to 4 PSI. In the summer, I have seen as high as 21 PSI peaks in test vehicles.
post #19 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 12:52 PM

Steve, welcome to the forum and any information you can provide (under the contrains you are subject to) are greatly appreciated. Glad to see you finally caved and got a kappa of your own to play with.

For those of you that don't know Steve has been involved in this platform since it's conception and is a wealth of information. Unfortunately he is not in a position to relay most of it

BIX A BEL Cool, Ebony leather, Chrome, loaded, no XM/onstar Founding member of the "Lost Sols Club"
DDM stage III w/custom CAI
probeam, backbone, tower strut, Exedy Stage II clutch
JPM custom dash, center console, door inserts
Solo SQR2 with Norm's center defused panel
FucuzTech Tri-Y header and high flow cat
DDM Stage III Upgrade here
post #20 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Garage
I told you I was being a tease!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldTurboFreak View Post
Welcome to the forum and thankyou for joining Steve.

I know there has to be great care about the information you leak Steve, but how about one tiny little morsel. One tiny tidbit. ALL I desire ia a 3 digit number with the unit "Kpa" behind it. One that represents the range of the new op ssytem.. The rest I can wait.... PLEEEEEEAAASE?? I'll give you a super special deal on a wheel upgrade!!!!/gt30R!!!
I've been trying to find that value for 2 weeks now. I've been posting on several Alfa Romeo forums because the newer 1.9 JTD 16v shares the same sensor as this kit (as do some other cars). It's been impossible to get the specifics even from owners. I'm actually going to call Bosch after work and try to find out.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #21 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 04:51 PM

Steve, I also wanted to tell you how wonderful it is to have someone so deep in the program on board with us. I also want to stress that I *understand* and support you not releasing information that GM does not want out. But, there are SOOOO many ways that you could be a wonderful bridge between GM and the Solstice/Sky community. Like Scott Settlemire has been for the Camaro/Firebird community. There are a lot of things he can not share, but thru the years he HAS been able to work BOTH ways. He has taken info WE have discovered back to GM, and he has shared things with us too. It really helps strengthen the bonds....

Shoot, I love these cars so much, I'm on my second one!

2006 Deep Solstice NA...Traded in for:
2009 Sky Redline Ruby Red Limited Edition
5 speed manual/rear spoiler added/6 disc/Monsoon
GMPP Tune/MBRP Charge Pipes/DDM Backbone & Probeam/Chromies/K&N Drop in/HIDs
*Thank You Bob Lutz* And UAW 435 workers
2007 Xterra 4x4/1996 Viper GTS/1995 Z28 6 speed in the driveway now

Last edited by JeffInDFW; 11-20-2008 at 04:55 PM.
post #22 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 04:56 PM
XXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
But, there are SOOOO many ways that you could be a wonderful bridge between GM and the Solstice/Sky community.
Don't put that burden on Steve. Not to deride him, but he's just an Engineer working for GM. He's not (??) the Public Affairs Officer of some community outreach program.

Having said that... Steve, spill the beans on the Bosch part!!!!111111eleven
post #23 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash's Owner View Post
Retail Availability:

2009 Model year estimated 2nd Quarter 2009, after introduction of 2009 2.0l turbo model in production (requires different calibration/software and certification after the production application has been sold)
Oh, quick question.....What the heck does this mean??? The 2009 is already introduced (I've got one). Why does the 2009 require different calibration software????

2006 Deep Solstice NA...Traded in for:
2009 Sky Redline Ruby Red Limited Edition
5 speed manual/rear spoiler added/6 disc/Monsoon
GMPP Tune/MBRP Charge Pipes/DDM Backbone & Probeam/Chromies/K&N Drop in/HIDs
*Thank You Bob Lutz* And UAW 435 workers
2007 Xterra 4x4/1996 Viper GTS/1995 Z28 6 speed in the driveway now
post #24 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
Steve, I also wanted to tell you how wonderful it is to have someone so deep in the program on board with us. I also want to stress that I *understand* and support you not releasing information that GM does not want out. But, there are SOOOO many ways that you could be a wonderful bridge between GM and the Solstice/Sky community. Like Scott Settlemire has been for the Camaro/Firebird community. There are a lot of things he can not share, but thru the years he HAS been able to work BOTH ways. He has taken info WE have discovered back to GM, and he has shared things with us too. It really helps strengthen the bonds....

Shoot, I love these cars so much, I'm on my second one!
Jeff .. Steve was the speaker at the very FIRST meet held in KC in 2006. He shared vast amounts of information with a very NEW Solstice community. Much of that information can be found here:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ce-meet-20058/

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #25 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash's Owner View Post
Hello all!
Steve,

First the official ... Congrats and I know you are gonna enjoy the ride!

Second welcome to the non lurking side

Last, where are the pics? ...

#118042 11/18/06 GXP Mean Darkside loaded wo On-Star
MODS: ED IC Pipes, Dejon IC, Magnaflow Catback

#1922 12/03/05 (RIP)
Mysterious Steel/Sand w/ 6-Disc Monsoon
Conv., Pwr & Premium Pkgs A/C LSD Carpet Mats
MODS: GM CAI & CATBAck
Dover DE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pontiac builds excitement...
Saturn has rethought it's image...
The time has come for the enthusiasts...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post #26 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Founding Member

I've been asking around the Tech Center and Milford trying to find out who's car had the kit... I should have guessed, but I didn't know Steve finally bought one! I knew it was an employee who was an owner, but that's all I had found out.

Anyway... Steve, I'm in town all this weekend, any chance of getting a ride? I'll actually be in / around Warren/Royal Oak/Troy/Macomb during Thanksgiving and the first few weeks of December as well. I'd be glad to offer up a review if at all possible.

Glad to see you are no longer just lurking!
post #27 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:56 PM

Location: Roosting on the west central flyway in Colorado Springs
Send a message via AIM to duckSol
Opel Opel Opel

2012 Summer Solstice in the Land of Sky

duckSol's Mods revised 12/21/2008

duckSols Mods revised 9-4-09

Transformer SLY

"Okolemaluna"
post #28 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:24 AM

Steve, this is great news, thanks for sharing what you can. If you are ever down toward Dayton Ohio, let me know, I'd like to meet you.
post #29 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Wow, lots of stuff to digest here.

Just Mike, I have a closeup picture of carbon flash metallic and a side shot of my car in the gallery.

I got one call from a friend through Bosch and confirmation from one of the powertrain engineers that the Bosch sensors are 3.0 bar sensors.

The powertrain engineer also mentioned the production sensors are 2.7 bar sensors, not 3 bar sensors as previously reported.

JeffinDFW: it takes significant time to validate and certify a new calibration for emissions in all 50 states, or so I have been told. The 2009 model year only started a few months ago. Just look how long it took to get the kit together for the 2007 and 2008 model year.

*revised* I have more info: By law for a 50 state emission certification for any after market modification, the process can not even start, which is the letter of application for certification, until the OEM package has completed certification and is in production. The process is handled by the California Air Resources Board and takes a lot of time.

Many of us in all areas of the Kappa development team have spent time on the forum in the past, and used some of the information gleaned from the forum for problem solving since the beginning. This is not the first time I have ever come to the forum and looked at and read through posts here, it is just the first time that there has been a clear policy from General Motors regarding forum participation and I have posted information in public.

I have also attended runs with the NEO/PA group early on, been to Baker's here in Milford with Flash, and attended the 1st National Meet in blazing hot K.C. and the 3rd one in Las Vegas. My wife and I were at the first Mecca Tour, and I attended the second Mecca Tour and got to meet many other people face-to-face that I had only communicated with through other means, so that was lots of fun.

High Performance Vehicle Operations, the group that is responsible for developing the Performance Upgrade, is aware that I was going to post this information, and we discussed what I can and what I cannot share. For the most part, this is more detailed than most other tuners will give you, and honestly I cannot think of anything that is a real secret. You know what the power and torque look like for the kit, I accidentally slipped and mentioned the HHR SS, and the cost has not yet been established but I am sure that you all will be among the first to know the Performance Upgrade kit cost as soon as it is established.

Regarding performance: I do not think we have run any cars on a chassis dyno. There is a reason for this. The prediction models, given the vehicle parameters and engine torque curve, are quite accurate. Our predictions of stock vehicle performance for both the 2.4l and the 2.0l t were less than 1% off of actual vehicle performance for 1/4 mile and 0-60. The change in performance for the Performance Upgrade was very accurate as well. In fact, it is very possible to get significant variation on a chassis dyno that may not translate properly to a drag strip, so one must treat dyno information with great care. I have expressed this following thought to people I have met where we have had great discussions and seen it repeated from time to time: what really matters for true performance is when the car is driven, not what a dyno says and not what it feels like. 30 dyno hp and 80 dyno ft-lbs do not do you any good if they do not shave off several tenths of a second on the drag strip.

Last edited by Flash's Owner; 11-21-2008 at 08:29 AM.
post #30 of 648 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 AM

So you don't know for sure whether these are 2.7 or 3.0 bar sensors? I hope they are 3.0's as only .2bar above stock hardly seems worth the upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/gm-stage-ii-kit-review-52407/
Posted By For Type Date
1990 ZR1 or Buick Grand National ??????? - Page 3 - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board This thread Refback 01-22-2009 06:09 AM
LNF Upgrade/Stage Question - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-23-2008 12:33 PM
LNF Upgrade/Stage Question - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-23-2008 11:48 AM
LNF Upgrade/Stage Question - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-23-2008 11:48 AM
GM LNF Stage Kit PCM Read - Page 3 - HP Tuners Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-23-2008 10:18 AM
New GM ECM tune, problems??? - Saturn Sky Forum Post #198 Pingback 12-19-2008 03:07 PM
GM LNF Stage Kit PCM Read - HP Tuners Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-17-2008 03:00 PM
GM LNF Stage Kit PCM Read - HP Tuners Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-17-2008 10:31 AM
GM Stage Kit Installed!!! - Page 5 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 12-17-2008 10:00 AM
GM LNF Stage Kit PCM Read - HP Tuners Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-17-2008 09:38 AM
GM Stage Kit Installed!!! - Page 5 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 12-17-2008 08:54 AM
GM Stage Kit Installed!!! - Page 5 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 12-17-2008 08:53 AM
290 hp gm ecm tune - confirmed - Page 27 - Saturn Sky Forum This thread Pingback 12-16-2008 03:33 PM
Solstice Stage II kit available now! - GM Inside News Forum This thread Refback 12-11-2008 09:51 PM
GM Performance Parts Turbo Upgrade Kit - Page 4 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 12-10-2008 03:29 PM
GM Performance Parts Turbo Upgrade Kit - Page 4 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 12-10-2008 02:07 PM
290 hp gm ecm tune - confirmed - Page 25 - Saturn Sky Forum This thread Refback 12-10-2008 11:46 AM
Turbolag between shifting gears - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forum This thread Refback 12-08-2008 10:37 AM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 15 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-06-2008 01:28 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 15 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-04-2008 05:08 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 15 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-04-2008 05:02 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 10 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-02-2008 05:27 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 11 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-01-2008 08:07 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 11 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-01-2008 07:07 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 11 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-01-2008 05:48 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 11 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-01-2008 12:07 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 11 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-01-2008 11:45 AM
290 hp gm ecm tune - confirmed - Page 21 - Saturn Sky Forum This thread Refback 11-29-2008 01:56 PM
Interesting message today from GM - Page 11 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 11-23-2008 07:43 PM
Interesting message today from GM - Page 11 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 11-23-2008 07:59 AM
Interesting message today from GM - Page 11 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 11-23-2008 07:51 AM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 10 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 11-22-2008 10:17 AM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 10 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 11-22-2008 09:31 AM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 10 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 11-22-2008 07:34 AM