GM Stage II Kit review - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 07:04 AM

Location: Roosting on the west central flyway in Colorado Springs
Send a message via AIM to duckSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJON-Dave View Post
So you don't know for sure whether these are 2.7 or 3.0 bar sensors? I hope they are 3.0's as only .2bar above stock hardly seems worth the upgrade.
I read his post to say stock is 2.7 and the new BOSCH are 3.0.

Welcome Steve. I have seen your name in print I think long before the Solstice concept was announced. Is that correct?

Please thank the team, and those above you from all of us for allowing you to post here.

2012 Summer Solstice in the Land of Sky

duckSol's Mods revised 12/21/2008

duckSols Mods revised 9-4-09

Transformer SLY

"Okolemaluna"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Garage
Thanks for the clarification on the parts specifications Steve!

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
Old 11-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Founding Member

Steve, first of all, a big THANK YOU to you, and the powers that be, for posting this info.

According to your models / calculations, is the torque curve still as broad and flat after the tune as it was before? As you point out, I care mostly about the performance on the street, not the dyno. Peak HP and torque values are only part of the story. I care more about the area "under the curve."

'06 #101409 - Sold to move to Germany

'08 GXP #105359 - Bought and stored for 10 months before I moved back from Germany!

Stored AGAIN for two years instead of bringing it to Russia
Old 11-21-2008, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWK4U View Post
Steve, first of all, a big THANK YOU to you, and the powers that be, for posting this info.

According to your models / calculations, is the torque curve still as broad and flat after the tune as it was before? As you point out, I care mostly about the performance on the street, not the dyno. Peak HP and torque values are only part of the story. I care more about the area "under the curve."
Powertrain does run certified tests on the engines to get the curves. I assume this is where the power/torque ratings come from.

Look at the stock torque plot, then plot the two new points. It looks like the engine continues up the curve on the low end to the 340 ft lb torque, then must roll off earlier to meet the necessary torque at the peak power point.

I think because of my membership level, I cannot attach anything, or I would try and do some sort of curve.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash's Owner View Post
I think because of my membership level, I cannot attach anything, or I would try and do some sort of curve.
I'm sure if you forwarded something on to MomsSol, she would be more than willing to attach it here in this thread.

GXP, Sly w/ Black Leather Interior, Loaded
Mods - Solo Performance GXP RCD exhaust, IC pipes, GMPP Performance Upgrade Kit, Backbone Brace and Probeam.
Norms fiberglass rear diffuser, Smoked Headlights, Opel GT antenna, splash guards, custom illuminated Wind Restrictor, JPM leather visor covers, elbow pads and custom embroidered, leather covered center console.
Email me if you are interested in joining the Mid-Atlantic Solstice Sky Club (MASSC) for NJ, NY, PA, DE and MD[email protected]
Old 11-21-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Some Q&A on skyroadster.com
290 hp gm ecm tune - confirmed - Saturn Sky Forum
Quote:
What, if any effect would the GMPP CAI and GMPP cat-back exhaust have along with the tune we are SO patiently waiting for? Has any testing been done with them all installed?

I saw in the post there was in increase in mpg. Is that based on "normal" driving or a tendency for quick starts? Most of my driving with my Sky RL is combined averaging about 29-31 mpg at the last fill up.
I can see I will be having trouble keeping up with both forums, but be patient and I will do my best.

My increased mileage is based on normal driving. If you are always in the throttle, then you are putting more energy into the car, and you will burn more fuel. Even Scotty cannot change the laws of physics, and that was a science fiction TV show. LOL

Regarding what the GMPP Exhaust and other improvements, in general they should be quite effective.

Here's why:

The stock production calibration is a sophisticated torque-based control system. It is constantly looking at all of the inputs - air temperature and pressure, charge air cooler efficiency, estimating density of intake air, and where the settings are for all the systems relative to a spark map to ensure the engine is protected for knock and detonation. It also estimates turbine speed with some very accurate modeling for given output to protect the turbo unit from overstress.

The goal of all of this control is to provide very consistent 260 ft lb/260 hp for all cars. If you make a change to the system such as improving the exhaust efficiency, then the control system will relearn with each key cycle that it is overproducing torque, and will "learn down" the torque back to stock level. If you do a back-to-back change that a dynomometer shows a gain of 15 ft-lbs, in a handful of key cylcles, long after you have left your dyno shop, the engine will learn back down to 260 ft-lbs. If you encounter a situation, such as a very hot day or you use 87 octane fuel, which requires an immediate spark retard to protect the motor, the good news is that the engine will "learn up" back to stock torque. But only back up to stock torque.

That is how the production system works.

In simple terms, the Performance Upgrade Kit turns off the learn down portion. You still have all of the protection features for the engine, such asg spark knock protection, turbine overspeed, or if you play with the wastegate link (which will, incidentally, probably set a boost fault).

So, essentially the PUpgrade you can think of as limited by turbine speed to protect the turbo from overstress and failure. At max turbine speed, whatever you can do to increase torque will be effective at producing more torque and power at a given RPM. This boils down to getting more molecules of air into and out of the engine. You can improve intake system efficiency by trying to make it less restrictive, including all of the flow path from fresh air intack to the turbo compressor intake, through the compressor outlet, through the charge air cooler (which also can be improved both through flow efficiency and cooling efficiency), into the intake manifold and through the cylinder head port and even intake valve openings. The easiest place to start is the air cleaner/intake pipes up to the turbo, BUT you must be careful when you start changing these things, as it is easy to create small areas of turbulence in the intake system which cause erratic readings on the MAP and MAF sensors and will set intake rationality codes.

The same thing applies to the exhaust side, from the exhaust valves. Legally, the catalytic converter must stay in place for the compliance to be legally valid. Improvements and lower restrictive exhaust in the cat-back section, such as what is available through GM Performance Parts should also be effective.

With the PUpgrade, these gains will not "learn out" like they do in the production calibration.

(Many thanks to the HPVO and Powertrain engineer brains for helping me understand and explain this info)
Old 11-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Garage
MMMmmm tasty, no "learn down." I like, I like.

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
MMMmmm tasty, no "learn down." I like, I like.
hey brentil, I am hoping you split this thread and give it a sticky, this is new information.

it'd also be nice if you could upgrade steve's membership so he can post pics and attachments
Old 11-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by perris View Post
hey brentil, I am hoping you split this thread and give it a sticky, this is new information.

it'd also be nice if you could upgrade steve's membership so he can post pics and attachments
Well that would make sense now wouldn't it...

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
Old 11-21-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash's Owner View Post
What's in the box:
1 - (npn) GM Performance Decal (missing from my kit)
Steve,

You know you lost a lot of HP from this missing part, right? ...

#118042 11/18/06 GXP Mean Darkside loaded wo On-Star
MODS: ED IC Pipes, Dejon IC, Magnaflow Catback

#1922 12/03/05 (RIP)
Mysterious Steel/Sand w/ 6-Disc Monsoon
Conv., Pwr & Premium Pkgs A/C LSD Carpet Mats
MODS: GM CAI & CATBAck
Dover DE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pontiac builds excitement...
Saturn has rethought it's image...
The time has come for the enthusiasts...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 11-21-2008, 04:23 PM

So, is the "learn down" removed entirely? Or, is the "learn down" reset to where it works to keep the car at 290hp?

2006 Deep Solstice NA...Traded in for:
2009 Sky Redline Ruby Red Limited Edition
5 speed manual/rear spoiler added/6 disc/Monsoon
GMPP Tune/MBRP Charge Pipes/DDM Backbone & Probeam/Chromies/K&N Drop in/HIDs
*Thank You Bob Lutz* And UAW 435 workers
2007 Xterra 4x4/1996 Viper GTS/1995 Z28 6 speed in the driveway now
Old 11-21-2008, 05:11 PM

welcome steve!

thanks for all the info!

I bet the supporting vendors/tuners.....are glad that you are here! more powah!!! we need more powah!!!!!!!!!!!!

upgrading to COMPOUND TURBO SET-UP (GT2860r & GT4294r) , hoping to get 800hp DD

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com
nitrofreeze.com
forgestar.com
splitsec.com
turbosmartonline.com
k1technologies.com
supertechperformance.com
specclutch.com
statusracing.com
tceperformanceproducts.com
burnsstainless.com
performanceautowerks.com
ddmworks.com
performanceautowerks.com
solo-performance.com
turbowerx.com
BTF
Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM

A video of you beating on your car would be nice
Old 11-21-2008, 07:41 PM

Perhaps I overlooked this...but is that 290whp? Thanks Steve for sharing with us as much of your knowledge as you can. Have a great weekend!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:43 PM

Speaking of videos relating to people beating on cars....Nevermind...I will start a new thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/gm-stage-ii-kit-review-52407/
Posted By For Type Date
1990 ZR1 or Buick Grand National ??????? - Page 3 - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board This thread Refback 01-22-2009 06:09 AM
LNF Upgrade/Stage Question - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-23-2008 12:33 PM
LNF Upgrade/Stage Question - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-23-2008 11:48 AM
LNF Upgrade/Stage Question - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-23-2008 11:48 AM
GM LNF Stage Kit PCM Read - Page 3 - HP Tuners Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-23-2008 10:18 AM
New GM ECM tune, problems??? - Saturn Sky Forum Post #198 Pingback 12-19-2008 03:07 PM
GM LNF Stage Kit PCM Read - HP Tuners Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-17-2008 03:00 PM
GM LNF Stage Kit PCM Read - HP Tuners Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-17-2008 10:31 AM
GM Stage Kit Installed!!! - Page 5 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 12-17-2008 10:00 AM
GM LNF Stage Kit PCM Read - HP Tuners Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-17-2008 09:38 AM
GM Stage Kit Installed!!! - Page 5 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 12-17-2008 08:54 AM
GM Stage Kit Installed!!! - Page 5 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 12-17-2008 08:53 AM
290 hp gm ecm tune - confirmed - Page 27 - Saturn Sky Forum This thread Pingback 12-16-2008 03:33 PM
Solstice Stage II kit available now! - GM Inside News Forum This thread Refback 12-11-2008 09:51 PM
GM Performance Parts Turbo Upgrade Kit - Page 4 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 12-10-2008 03:29 PM
GM Performance Parts Turbo Upgrade Kit - Page 4 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 12-10-2008 02:07 PM
290 hp gm ecm tune - confirmed - Page 25 - Saturn Sky Forum This thread Refback 12-10-2008 11:46 AM
Turbolag between shifting gears - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forum This thread Refback 12-08-2008 10:37 AM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 15 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-06-2008 01:28 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 15 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-04-2008 05:08 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 15 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-04-2008 05:02 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 10 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-02-2008 05:27 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 11 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-01-2008 08:07 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 11 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-01-2008 07:07 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 11 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-01-2008 05:48 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 11 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-01-2008 12:07 PM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 11 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 12-01-2008 11:45 AM
290 hp gm ecm tune - confirmed - Page 21 - Saturn Sky Forum This thread Refback 11-29-2008 01:56 PM
Interesting message today from GM - Page 11 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 11-23-2008 07:43 PM
Interesting message today from GM - Page 11 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 11-23-2008 07:59 AM
Interesting message today from GM - Page 11 - Chevy HHR Network This thread Refback 11-23-2008 07:51 AM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 10 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 11-22-2008 10:17 AM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 10 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 11-22-2008 09:31 AM
Upgrade from GM coming soon! - Page 10 - Cobalt SS Network This thread Refback 11-22-2008 07:34 AM