How do I get to 400-450whp for minimal cost? - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 06:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Yeah - a dead stock one which you can the plug in and blow all over again....
I just put one of these $1,900 engines in my car after burning a hole through my piston.

$1,900 ATK LDK engine (sand cast block as opposed to foam cast of the LNF, the LDK also has SLIGHTLY higher compression, this engine also came with Opel injectors, new intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and turbo.

$399 - HP tuner and 2 credits

$375 PAW Tune from Dave

$525 PAW intercooler (its possible that i blew metal into the factory intercooler.

$100 in my first 3 oil changes

$20 in new antifreeze

Man hours (its really not that hard)

I was considering the $4k DDM engine but knowing that their LNF foam cast blocks scared me, also I would of had to ship them my old block as a core, also I would have needed to buy new injectors and maybe a turbo. That $4k just got way more expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 06:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
Other than the turbo my GXP is all OEM from GM.
What kind of HP are you making?

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - SaddlX & GearTripR center console - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:16 PM

So apparently I posted something on the wrong kappa forum....LOL. Since I'm having an issue right now and the Kappa boards really don't have "tuners" I've had to fend for myself on other boards that use the LNF...mainly the Cobalt and ATS forums.... In doing so I've come across a formula for making 600+hp. It includes:

- building the motor (rods, pistons and bigger lobed camshaft for HPFP) ~ $1500
- Opel high flow HPFP ~$499
- Special ZZP spring for HPFP ~$---
- Opel high flow injectors ~$500
- E85 tune ~$500

Supposedly the above combination will give over 600HP with everything else stock.....and it's reliable from what I've read. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:43 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
You asked your question and got several answere. Personally I would rather sit on a grenade with the pin pulled than drive a street Solstice at 450 he.

I vote for you doing the upgrade. Take lots of pictures. And videos. Share them with us please
raygun and stevebot39 like this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
So apparently I posted something on the wrong kappa forum....LOL. Since I'm having an issue right now and the Kappa boards really don't have "tuners" I've had to fend for myself on other boards that use the LNF...mainly the Cobalt and ATS forums.... In doing so I've come across a formula for making 600+hp. It includes:

- building the motor (rods, pistons and bigger lobed camshaft for HPFP) ~ $1500
- Opel high flow HPFP ~$499
- Special ZZP spring for HPFP ~$---
- Opel high flow injectors ~$500
- E85 tune ~$500

Supposedly the above combination will give over 600HP with everything else stock.....and it's reliable from what I've read. I'll have to see if I can find it again.
I agree with what you found.

I think if I were to build a beast motor thats reliable I'd start with an ATK engine for $1,900 shipped. Comes with the opel injectors and hpfp and is the newer gen 3 block. I'd sell the factory k04 turbo that it comes with and replace it with something stronger. JNR sells the bigger lobed fuel cam for $170 shipped. I spoke with a ZZP tech on the phone and he claims that their aftermarket aggressive profile cams dont offer that much more hp than the factory cam, I dont know on this one but if thats true then I probably wouldnt even go that route and just be happy with the JNR cam. That just leaves rods, pistons springs/retainers, methanol kit and a tune, assuming that you already have a good intercooler and exhaust.

Now that I have a LDK block, this will be my plan the next time i need to pull the engine.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:58 AM

Garage
So add connecting rods - $1200 plus pistons - $600 to the $2K engine and a new turbo kit for $4100 (ZZP) and what does that come to...?

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
So add connecting rods - $1200 plus pistons - $600 to the $2K engine and a new turbo kit for $4100 (ZZP) and what does that come to...?
That $8k range adds up to "maybe I should look into a LS swap".
rob the elder and stevebot39 like this.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
That $8k range adds up to "maybe I should look into a LS swap".
If you have to have more than, say, 450 bhp or so, that would probably be a better option.
stevebot39 and Saveaux like this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Well, my plan was to push this motor as far as possible and stay somewhat reliable and once I kill this motor......2jz swap. Money is not a major issue but I didn't want to dump a whole hell of a lot of money on this engine when my end goal is a swap anyway.

Once I am done figuring out what all has been damaged from the car sitting for about a year, I'll start the upgrade process. Car is already tuned apparently, and it was pushing at least 23 PSI as it was maxing the gauges. I gotta figure out where it is so I can know where to go. Car is currently sitting with a broken balancing system (Water pump is not turning).

I will probably install charge pipes, intercooler, and CAI, and maybe the WERKS radiator (Anyone have this and care to share experience?) while that part of the car is apart since I have to remove it all anyway. The stock airbox is missing it's bolts and has a broken mounting tab, otherwise i would skip the CAI.

2007 Solstice GXP

Last edited by laser411; 09-02-2019 at 08:10 AM.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:11 PM

I would skip the intercooler on a stock turbo. I did mine prior to the EFR and it didn't have much effect on anything. Meth injection is way more effective at cooling charge temps.

On a side note, what is required to get all of the factory equipment (dash gauges, cruise control, AC etc.) working properly on an engine swap? Are there off the shelf solutions for any of this?
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
If I am not mistaken the piston on our LNF are rated by GM performance to 400BHP period, so I do not care what Dave has publish but our LNF will not survive those kind of power with OEM internals.
Do what you want, but that statement is incorrect and Dave at DDM should know better.
Changed the description on the site a little -

"We have ran the stock LNF 2.0L engine found in the 2007-2010 Pontiac Solstice GXP and 2007-2010 Saturn Sky Redline up to 450hp at the wheels, although we highly recommend looking at building the engine when power gets over 400hp at the wheels for reliability."

We have ran several stock LNF engine up into the low/mid 400's with big turbos that have big exhaust A/R's and have not seen many problems here under 400hp at the wheels. We have had people call us that have blown engines on stock turbos with just a "tune" they did themselves or another company did for them. The bigger issue we see for engine longevity is the tune, not necessarily the power the engine is making to a degree. So many guys seem to want to get just that little bit more out of it and end up going a little too far. The pistons will take a lot of abuse, but you have to control the heat they are seeing. If you are pushing high boost pressures/cylinder temperatures and not allowing that heat to get out, the upper ring land will crack, break and cause an engine failure. Really, there is no magical safe power limit on these engines, you could put a poor flash in the ECM and blow it up with stock power levels, or put a big turbo on and be conservative with the fueling, timing and cams, get the exhaust to breathe really well and make it survive over 400hp at the wheels. When you get to that level though, you must be monitoring the engine. The tuning is the most important thing on those higher horsepower setups for engine survival.

So, can the stock LNF engine will take 400hp at the wheels? If that engine has a nice clean tune in it, runs good quality gas, has good quality components in it driven on the street, sure. I would not run that kind of setup on heavy track days though where the heat load on the engine will be much higher for longer periods of time. Can the engine be destroyed with a stock turbo and bad tune at 250hp at the wheels, sure also.

Hope that helps,
Dave
sjw, raygun, 4501 Safari and 2 others like this.

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]

2.4L - Stage 3 Supercharged - 305whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Rotrex Supercharged - 340whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Custom Turbo - 304whp - 93 octane
2.0L - 2871 Hybrid turbo - 371whp - 93 octane
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Founding Member

Dave.
Quote:
has good quality components in it
So with your statement above it is no longer a factory LNF OEM 2.0.
Dave you tune my 2007 large wheel turbo a few years back and maybe your thinking has change, but at the time you said to be on the safe side and going between 25-27 psi 350/350 BHP (not at the wheels) was your advise.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:09 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Dave.
So with your statement above it is no longer a factory LNF OEM 2.0.
Dave you tune my 2007 large wheel turbo a few years back and maybe your thinking has change, but at the time you said to be on the safe side and going between 25-27 psi 350/350 BHP (not at the wheels) was your advise.
25-27psi is completely different power levels depending on the turbo/supercharger setup. With a EFR 7163 we are getting right around 500hp at 23-24psi of boost as an example. When you are measuring boost, think of it as a measurement of the restriction of flow through the engine. If you have a very open exhaust setup, the boost pressure will be lower for the same power. The higher the boost pressure, typically the more heat and pressure is retained in the engine, which leads to detonation and piston damage typically. So for your setup, which has basically the stock exhaust section of the K04, that is all I would push from that setup. If you have an EFR 7163, or some other larger turbo with lower exhaust backpressure, you can run more power.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]

2.4L - Stage 3 Supercharged - 305whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Rotrex Supercharged - 340whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Custom Turbo - 304whp - 93 octane
2.0L - 2871 Hybrid turbo - 371whp - 93 octane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode