How's Your Trifecta Budget Tune Holding Up - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How's Your Trifecta Budget Tune Holding Up

Hello All,

I installed a Trifecta Budget Tune on my 2007 GXP several months ago and everything still seems to be working fine with it right now.

Just wondering if other forum members who installed this tune have experienced any adverse effects to their car that might be related to the tune? If problems occurred what were they and after how long?

Who has had this tune on their car the longest without issue?

Bob

2007 Envious GXP

(BOBKAT SOLM88)

Stock Envious GXP with a few extras.

Bob S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 07:23 PM

Garage
my only problem has been my clutch doesn't like the added torque. when i have the tune turned on i have to be gentle from a standstill or i end up burning the clutch pretty bad. gotta love that smell. other than that it runs great. 24lbs of boost if i get into it, and great gas mileage if i am just cruising
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:03 AM

Garage
I ran the basic Trifecta tune for awhile with zero problems, before switching to a custom tune from them when I swapped out the turbo.

Pyrofreek - no way you should have any problems with your clutch due to the tune - that is all driver sourced. If you are burning the clutch change your driving habits. Let it fully engage before jumping on it

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 08:49 PM

4th season with the budget tune for me and it was money well spent. No issues.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Pyrofreek - no way you should have any problems with your clutch due to the tune - that is all driver sourced. If you are burning the clutch change your driving habits. Let it fully engage before jumping on it
Hi Bill,
do you think this is a common thing with these cars? i've been driving standard cars since i was 16 and beat the hell out of a few muscle cars back in the day. even the talon i had right before my gxp saw many 6k launches and i have never been able to blow a clutch. this one is really strange. as you said, if i let the clutch out "normally" and punch it, the car pulls like mad. if i rev it to 4 or 5k and drop the clutch it is like the clutch isn't even engaging. other than that it seems normal, travel is fine, it's maybe a little "chattery" but in everyday driving feels fine.

sorry, just realized i'm hijacking the thread. clutch thing has me baffled though.

stan
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 06:43 PM

Rattlin bones...
I was considering doing the Trifecta Tune but am concerned about shaking things up on my high mileage motor. I have a newly acquired 2.0 GXP with 107k on it. At 107k, I would think the motor is set in it's ways and adding additional HP could upset the way it runs or how everything works together. Maybe it would shake things out that were about to fail. From the responses on this thread, it's seems there is no reason for concern. Any one out there have a different opinion?

Thnx,
Carl
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 06:46 PM

Garage
High mileages means more risk of ring issues and blow by when you crank the boost pressure from 15 psi to 25 or so. Your fers are well founded. But only one way to find out....

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:30 PM

Resurrecting this....

Does anyone have a high mileage (over 100k) Trifecta Tune? What are your experiences with the tune? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode