Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

HP Tuner coming in tomorrow, What to do?

8K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Vincent1313 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had an HP Tuners tune that they could share with me or point me in the right direction. I am trying not to break the bank here so I am looking for DIY help or someone else's stock tune. I heard there is a tune repository but I have been unable to locate it.

#2 ·
Hello, the stock tune repository is located n the My-account devices area. Once you receive the HP-Tuner MPVi2 (I assume you bought this one) you register your device and you can access the HP repository of tunes -- there is a few for Solstice. While I own a 2008 GXP - manual -- there are 7 tunes there. there is little to no details on these tunes, I am ONLY looking at this for informational reasons. I would not 'load' these tunes to your car - -examine them in VCM editor and then compare them against your BASE tune -- once you export it with the MPVi2 tuner odb2 tool and then compare the data. I would HIGHLY recommend a qualified tuner to assist you on your first tine -- not something to just poke around like Martin at RPM good choice.

this is on HP tuners own web-site and forums -- the repository is reachable only after you register your device on their web-site in the my-account area.

- Charles

#4 ·
The first step is to read, read, read. There is a ton of tutorial stuff on the HP Tuner site. I have printed about 50 pages and read and re-read them several times and am still not ready to modify a tune by myself.

The second step is to read your present tune. Save this as it contains your VIN and is the key to changing tunes.

Next step is to log a run. The run should include a few minutes of idling and a couple of WOT runs. Send this file and your orig tune to an experienced tuner. He (or she?) will look at the log and determine what changes need to be done. He (or she) will send back a modified tune that you can load into your ECM.

#5 ·
Steve, what are you trying to do? Are you having trouble with your supercharge tune? I've got my supercharger installed and tuned with Dave's tune but have a problem with it starting when the engine is warm.Dave has been working with me on this problem but has not figured it out yet.

#9 ·
Steve, what are you trying to do? Are you having trouble with your supercharge tune? I've got my supercharger installed and tuned with Dave's tune but have a problem with it starting when the engine is warm. Dave has been working with me on this problem but has not figured it out yet.
My car is running fine with DDM's tune, although I have not found the time to log a run for him to look at. I am just trying to understand all the parameters that go into tuning so I bought an HP tuner rather than borrow one.

I trust you and Dave can solve your warm starting problem. Have you looked/listened for vacuum leaks?

#6 ·
Visit the HPtuner forums - I've been told that there's a large community base for these Ecotec engines. Ask questions, read and read more.

I paid Dave at PAW $375 for unlimited adjustments on his tune and I have 110% peace of mind that everything's all good. This guy's a wizard!

I suppose it's possible to load in a tune you "found" and have it bomb your engine. Take it from me, it's not worth it to melt an engine with a bad tune....After spending around $3,300 over the past two months I've finally got my car running again after bombing the engine back in April ($1,900 ATK engine, $299 MPVI2, $99 2 HPtuner credits, $375 tune to support the Opel injectors that the new engine came with, $525 PAW Intercooler (potential that metal was sent into the old intercooler after I melted a piston) $100 oil + oil filters, $30 antifreeze,

#8 ·
So......found an interesting gem in this car......If I am not mistaken, this is the 3 bar sensors right? if it is, it also isn't using an adapter so it may be a dealer installed GPP tune. How to I go to a stock based tune if I am already on a GMPP tune and don't have the original?

The car is not as peppy as I thought a tune would have made it. What else should I look for in this car?

Attachments

#11 ·
The 3-bar sensors were connected using either adapter plugs or by splicing the wires unless someone did something unique. Try looking inside the anti-chafe tubing.

Why do you want to go back to the stock tune? You would have to replace the sensors since the original tune won't work with those.

What octane fuel are you using? The GMPP tune will pull timing and reduce performance if you are getting knock from low-grade fuel.

#10 ·
Subtleties of ECM tuning

Following are three graphs that show some of the subtle differences in tunes. These are spark advance vs rpm vs air flow, just one on many that make a full tune.
First is a stock tune for an NA Solstice. Note the jaggedness.
Second is a performance tune. Note some of the values or boundary conditions are changed, but the graph is still jagged.
This is a more refined performance or dyno tune. Note the smoothness.

Attachments

#12 ·
right ! Fill your tank with 93 before the tune...

#13 ·
Everything I read says that the GMPP tune restricts tuning options and is a different OS entirely with hidden tables and what people have referred to as more of a turbo nanny. I have the HPtuner in hand now and have pulled the tune. How do I figure out if it's been tuned by GM or otherwise? I'd like to go to a stock tune and just fix the sensor settings and see what the difference is.

Also, the fuel lid says premium required, so that's all it's ever gonna get from me.

#14 · (Edited)
Also, the fuel lid says premium required, so that's all it's ever gonna get from me.
ok, so if you have an actual sticker on your gas door, that means you have a tune.
( that sticker is not a stock item... )

If it looks GM-ish, then you could very well have the GMPP tune.

#17 ·
You don’t need premium for an NA. That sticker isn’t stock. NA tunes also wouldn’t require premium as, on non-FI engines, there’s very little risk of predetonation.

Are you sure you don’t have a turbo tucked in there? :)

Maybe something happened to the gas cap cover panel and it was replaced with a pull from another car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 · (Edited)
Sounds like it’s flooding.

Next time it doesn’t want to start, try this:

Put the gas pedal all the way down. Crank the engine for ~15-30 seconds. Let off the gas and then try and start it. Don’t do this too long as it can overheat your starter. It may be better to do this in a few short bursts of 5-10 seconds.

The ECM recognizes full throttle at start as a command for “flood mode,” which disables spark and injectors. Cranking it for a bit with the pedal all the way down should clear any fuel that’s gathered in the cylinders.

On a GXP, I’d say this is a bad HPFP. For an NA, if the above procedure gets it to start, probably leaking injector(s). On the upside, NA injectors are really cheap and easy to replace.

#30 ·
So in theory, I could pull a stock GXP file and modify it to match my vehicle specifics?
No, the opposite. You have to modify your tune to make it stock. Some of the vehicle specifics including the VIN cannot be changed, so you have to start with a tune that matches your vehicle.

Go with raygun. laser and raygun is a perfect combo. We could not have made it up.

Reactions: Saveaux and raygun
#27 ·
I can send you the stock tune. It’s also available in the HPT tune repository. It’s a simple matter to reset yours to stock while maintaining the VIN-specific bits.

The adjustment for the 3-bar MAPs is also trivial.

If you send me your tune, I can send you one that’s stock + the 3 bar MAP adjustment for your car.

‘Cause I’m bored. Watching a progress bar for three hours...

#29 ·
Send me an IM.

#31 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: This may make your car explode. So, don't do this. If you do, don't blame me if something breaks.

To clarify, the process is basically this:

- With the HP Tuners VCM editor, read your current tune.

- Save it somewhere where you can get it later. I emailed mine to myself. You know your current tune works, and you don't want to lose it in case you have to revert later on.

- In the VCM editor, select Compare | Open Comparison File

- Browse to the "stock" tune, or whatever you want to install in your car.

- Click Compare | View Comparison Log

- Collapse all of the top-level nodes, or click the "Collapse All" icon

- Right-click on the first top-level node (probably labeled "Engine") and select "Copy Over All Differences."

This will integrate ALL of the calibration differences from the "Comparison" file into your current tune, without affecting VIN or requiring you to purchase a second set of credits.

- For the 3-bar MAP sensors, you'll need to adjust a few values.

Click the white "Engine" button on the main toolbar. On my system, it's the third from the left, next to "Favorites" and "OS."
Select the Airflow tab.
Enter the values below in the corresponding boxes:

MAP sensor linear = 65.89
MAP sensor offset = -6.35

In the Supercharger tab, enter these values:

Boost sensor linear = 65.89
Boost sensor offset = -6.35

These are a scale & offset used to translate the analog signal from the sensors into a pressure value.

- Save the file.

You know have a tune file for your VIN with the correct settings for the 3-bar MAP sensors.

Go flash the new file to the car and test it out.

**And I just saw steveBot's post which says all of this, but a little more succinctly.

Reactions: Saveaux
#32 ·
The issue here is, from my understanding, the GMPP tune is a whole different OS that is running on the ECU and the stock OS allows for better tuning. I don't know if this is a totally custom tune or if it's a GMPP tune that's been modified, is there a way to tell from within VCM editor? and if I am on GMPP, can I find a stock GXP and jack the stock OS from it?

See this post https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/hp-tuners-help-106545/#post1570857

#33 ·
If you are going to use the HP Tuners and the MPVI2 be cautious about updating the software past version 4.2.21.
When I purchased my HP Tuners kit I did all the updates and pulled down the stock tune only to find that Version 4.4.0 was unable to read Long and short term fuel trims as well as see the wideband O2 sensor. Without all of that you are unable to datalog and renders the HP Tuners kit only a flashing tool and useless for any tuning. I reverted to version 4.2.21 and was able to capture some logs but wanted to compare to a newer version tune file (4.4.2) and had to update the software to read the newer tune as it was not readable with the older software version (thinking they would have managed to update and correct the bug after several months) Not so … I have been in contact with HP Tuner support (Erick) and while they have been friendly it seems my case has now been forwarded to the software engineers (Monday August 19, 2019) to try and identify why it is not datalogging those 3 channels in version 4.4 … As part of this support interaction they also sent me version 4.5 Beta and when I updated to that version it did a Firmware update to the MPVI2 device and now I suspect even version 4.2.21 will no longer work with the OBD2 device and maybe not even version 4.4.

If you can keep version 4.2.21

Tim

#34 ·
Its Superchips best flash tuner they have.
Says to update when I get.
They have some loaded tunes.
They say since I have auto (think the best) I get 23.4 hp had to find pic
I don't know about rev and tires and all that other stuff I can change. Going to have to ask a question when i get there and hope I get real help.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.