HP Tuner coming in tomorrow, What to do? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

HP Tuner coming in tomorrow, What to do?

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had an HP Tuners tune that they could share with me or point me in the right direction. I am trying not to break the bank here so I am looking for DIY help or someone else's stock tune. I heard there is a tune repository but I have been unable to locate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:38 AM

Hello, the stock tune repository is located n the My-account devices area. Once you receive the HP-Tuner MPVi2 (I assume you bought this one) you register your device and you can access the HP repository of tunes -- there is a few for Solstice. While I own a 2008 GXP - manual -- there are 7 tunes there. there is little to no details on these tunes, I am ONLY looking at this for informational reasons. I would not 'load' these tunes to your car - -examine them in VCM editor and then compare them against your BASE tune -- once you export it with the MPVi2 tuner odb2 tool and then compare the data. I would HIGHLY recommend a qualified tuner to assist you on your first tine -- not something to just poke around like Martin at RPM good choice.

this is on HP tuners own web-site and forums -- the repository is reachable only after you register your device on their web-site in the my-account area.

- Charles
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser411 View Post
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had an HP Tuners tune that they could share with me or point me in the right direction. I am trying not to break the bank here so I am looking for DIY help or someone else's stock tune. I heard there is a tune repository but I have been unable to locate it.
Before you do what it appears you are trying to do you should read this page: https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...activation.htm
easyryderca and stevebot39 like this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:41 PM

Location: Cleveland Heights OH in summer, Tucson AZ in Winter
Garage
Quote:
Hello all,

The first step is to read, read, read. There is a ton of tutorial stuff on the HP Tuner site. I have printed about 50 pages and read and re-read them several times and am still not ready to modify a tune by myself.

The second step is to read your present tune. Save this as it contains your VIN and is the key to changing tunes.

Next step is to log a run. The run should include a few minutes of idling and a couple of WOT runs. Send this file and your orig tune to an experienced tuner. He (or she?) will look at the log and determine what changes need to be done. He (or she) will send back a modified tune that you can load into your ECM.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:55 PM

Steve, what are you trying to do? Are you having trouble with your supercharge tune? I've got my supercharger installed and tuned with Dave's tune but have a problem with it starting when the engine is warm.Dave has been working with me on this problem but has not figured it out yet.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Garage
Visit the HPtuner forums - I've been told that there's a large community base for these Ecotec engines. Ask questions, read and read more.

I paid Dave at PAW $375 for unlimited adjustments on his tune and I have 110% peace of mind that everything's all good. This guy's a wizard!

I suppose it's possible to load in a tune you "found" and have it bomb your engine. Take it from me, it's not worth it to melt an engine with a bad tune....After spending around $3,300 over the past two months I've finally got my car running again after bombing the engine back in April ($1,900 ATK engine, $299 MPVI2, $99 2 HPtuner credits, $375 tune to support the Opel injectors that the new engine came with, $525 PAW Intercooler (potential that metal was sent into the old intercooler after I melted a piston) $100 oil + oil filters, $30 antifreeze,
raygun likes this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
I paid Dave at PAW $375 for unlimited adjustments on his tune and I have 110% peace of mind that everything's all good. This guy's a wizard!
+1

There's not anything more to say.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

So......found an interesting gem in this car......If I am not mistaken, this is the 3 bar sensors right? if it is, it also isn't using an adapter so it may be a dealer installed GPP tune. How to I go to a stock based tune if I am already on a GMPP tune and don't have the original?

The car is not as peppy as I thought a tune would have made it. What else should I look for in this car?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_100846_HDR.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	98859   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_102315_HDR.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	98861  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEZER888 View Post
Steve, what are you trying to do? Are you having trouble with your supercharge tune? I've got my supercharger installed and tuned with Dave's tune but have a problem with it starting when the engine is warm. Dave has been working with me on this problem but has not figured it out yet.
My car is running fine with DDM's tune, although I have not found the time to log a run for him to look at. I am just trying to understand all the parameters that go into tuning so I bought an HP tuner rather than borrow one.

I trust you and Dave can solve your warm starting problem. Have you looked/listened for vacuum leaks?

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:39 PM

Garage
Subtleties of ECM tuning

Following are three graphs that show some of the subtle differences in tunes. These are spark advance vs rpm vs air flow, just one on many that make a full tune.
First is a stock tune for an NA Solstice. Note the jaggedness.
Second is a performance tune. Note some of the values or boundary conditions are changed, but the graph is still jagged.
This is a more refined performance or dyno tune. Note the smoothness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image (78).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	98877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image (79).jpg
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	98879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image (80).jpg
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	98881  

SteveBot39

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
So......found an interesting gem in this car......If I am not mistaken, this is the 3 bar sensors right? if it is, it also isn't using an adapter so it may be a dealer installed GPP tune. How to I go to a stock based tune if I am already on a GMPP tune and don't have the original?

The car is not as peppy as I thought a tune would have made it. What else should I look for in this car?
The 3-bar sensors were connected using either adapter plugs or by splicing the wires unless someone did something unique. Try looking inside the anti-chafe tubing.

Why do you want to go back to the stock tune? You would have to replace the sensors since the original tune won't work with those.

What octane fuel are you using? The GMPP tune will pull timing and reduce performance if you are getting knock from low-grade fuel.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:29 AM

right ! Fill your tank with 93 before the tune...

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Everything I read says that the GMPP tune restricts tuning options and is a different OS entirely with hidden tables and what people have referred to as more of a turbo nanny. I have the HPtuner in hand now and have pulled the tune. How do I figure out if it's been tuned by GM or otherwise? I'd like to go to a stock tune and just fix the sensor settings and see what the difference is.

Also, the fuel lid says premium required, so that's all it's ever gonna get from me.

2007 Solstice GXP
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Also, the fuel lid says premium required, so that's all it's ever gonna get from me.
ok, so if you have an actual sticker on your gas door, that means you have a tune.
( that sticker is not a stock item... )

If it looks GM-ish, then you could very well have the GMPP tune.

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it

Last edited by sirwm; 08-17-2019 at 04:24 PM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

My 08 solstice base also had that sticker though? I'm pretty sure it didn't have a tune. I thought that was just because our engines are high compression or turbo'd?

2007 Solstice GXP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode