Problem when running Trifecta tune - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Saveaux
  • 1 Post By rob the elder
  • 1 Post By TireKicker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Problem when running Trifecta tune

I have the trifecta tune and can switch back and forth between the trifecta tune and the stock tune.
I'm having a problem when the trifecta tune is switched on. (Note: I have an automatic transmission)
Starting from a standstill if I push the pedal to the floor, the car accelerates and gets to a pretty high rpm and before shifting to the next gear has a dropoff in acceleration. Almost feels as if an rpm rate limiter kicked in or something.
It does not do this with the stock tune which does not rev so high before switching.
I asked customer support at trifecta and they said the tune is fine since it has been used on so many cars but sound like my car is having trouble with the extra boost. They said to get a mechanic to look at it but thought it might be the plugs or maybe the catalytic converter. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this sort of experience or has any thoughts. I'm not a mechanic and don't have a particular one that I go to or trust so just want as many thoughts as possible on what this might be. The car is completetly stock and has about 70k miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:50 AM

This could be any one of several items. Are you hitting redline? If so, it might be your fuel cutoff kicking in. If your car has 70k, it definetly needs new plugs. These should be done about every 30k on a turbo car. Don't put fancy ones back in, just stick with the ACDelco. Second item, have you looked at the air filter? Make sure it's clean, if not, replace it. The third thing that's going to cost a bit more is your MAF sensor. If you are still having issues after new plugs and filter, the MAF might be bad. Replace it...they're about $75.

Now my next question is this....which MAP sensors did you tell Trifecta you had? The 2.7BAR (commonly referred to here as the 2BAR) or the 3.2BAR (commonly referred to as 3BAR)? If you told them the wrong ones, they can't read past a certain psi of boost and might be causing your issue. My next question is this....are you sure your traction control isn't kicking in? Sometimes, depending on your car, once boost is built in 2nd gear (IMSMC Trifecta limits boost in 1st gear to 5psi), it might be taking your car a while to get full boost.... Once at full boost, the tires might be breaking loose and causing your traction control to come on. My car doesn't have a boost limit in 1st... I know once I get past 3k RPM in 2nd, my boost builds rapidly and I'm at 7k RPM within a second, thus causing my tires to break loose and traction control to come on. But I have a manual, so it's about time to shift at that point anyway. Check all these things and keep posting on this post so we can try to help you.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
This could be any one of several items. Are you hitting redline? If so, it might be your fuel cutoff kicking in. If your car has 70k, it definetly needs new plugs. These should be done about every 30k on a turbo car. Don't put fancy ones back in, just stick with the ACDelco. Second item, have you looked at the air filter? Make sure it's clean, if not, replace it. The third thing that's going to cost a bit more is your MAF sensor. If you are still having issues after new plugs and filter, the MAF might be bad. Replace it...they're about $75.

Now my next question is this....which MAP sensors did you tell Trifecta you had? The 2.7BAR (commonly referred to here as the 2BAR) or the 3.2BAR (commonly referred to as 3BAR)? If you told them the wrong ones, they can't read past a certain psi of boost and might be causing your issue. My next question is this....are you sure your traction control isn't kicking in? Sometimes, depending on your car, once boost is built in 2nd gear (IMSMC Trifecta limits boost in 1st gear to 5psi), it might be taking your car a while to get full boost.... Once at full boost, the tires might be breaking loose and causing your traction control to come on. My car doesn't have a boost limit in 1st... I know once I get past 3k RPM in 2nd, my boost builds rapidly and I'm at 7k RPM within a second, thus causing my tires to break loose and traction control to come on. But I have a manual, so it's about time to shift at that point anyway. Check all these things and keep posting on this post so we can try to help you.

I just got back into town and haven't had a chance to drive the car since I posted but I'll drive it tomorrow to check if it is redlining or not. I was suspicious of that because the revs seemed so high before the dropout occurred and then the transmission shifted. I bought the car recently so I don't know when the plugs were replaced last. I don't work on the car myself but I can just get the plugs changed if there is nothing else to check other than the air filter. I'll check that as well tomorrow. The trifecta guy did not ask about the MAP sensors but I told him the car is completely stock other than the tune. The MAP sensors should be stock. I installed the trifecta software myself and that is all I did to the car. It was their budget tune or whatever their most basic option is. I really don't think the tires are breaking lose. This felt more like if you were accelerating with the rpms getting very high and then shifted into neutral and then shifted into the next gear. That is maybe a better way to explain the sensation. Some sort of limiting kicking in or exceeding the something's capacity due to the high boost or something seems likely but I"m no mechanic. I need to do a few more runs with both stock tune and trifecta tune to make sure it is always just with the trifecta tune. I'm in a heavily populated area so need to find a spot to do it in again. Will report back. I really appreciate the help.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 01:37 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
If you are still having issues after new plugs and filter, the MAF might be bad. Replace it...they're about $75.
The FSM has a pretty simple test procedure for the MAF, requiring a multimeter and about 15 minutes. I'd do that before replacing it. (Since I make less than $300/hr, it's worth my time. Others may feel differently.)

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:16 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
The plugs are rated for 100k miles. I am comfortable not changing them as the IIAB,DFWI rule applies to my life.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
The plugs are rated for 100k miles. I am comfortable not changing them as the IIAB,DFWI rule applies to my life.
Lolol that one took me a moment!

If it ain't broke don't f with it! Haha
raygun likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 02:47 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Yes
I have been bitten in the butt by this rule in the past. Spark plugs break off. pieces fall down inside the hole, you lean on the fender and break it . . . I mean, its just ASKING for trouble. LOL
raygun likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 03:56 PM

I'm on the other team our saying. If it aint broke keep fixing it til it is.

My experience when you turn up a turbo you need a smaller gap. Gap it and might as well change it more often. As a wise man once said
raygun likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:10 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
A wise man once said:

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil."

No offense to PKD or Ridley Scott.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode