Ringing sound from turbo? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Ringing sound from turbo?

So I completed the install of the WR3 (EFR6758) turbo upgrade last night along with a catted downpipe, external wastegate and DDM intake and charge pipes.

I was idling the car and everything sounded fine. I then held the rpm around 1500 while making sure my temps weren't climbing when I heard a high pitched ringing sound. It sounded like something spinning fast and nicking a piece of metal causing it to ring. The end result was almost a continuous tone similar to a tuning fork.

When I let off the gas it went away. If I held it again between 1500-2000 it would start again after a few seconds. I repeated this three times then turned off the car.

Tonight I warmed the car up with the intent of recording the noise except that I couldn't reproduce the sound. All of my attempts holding the idle between 1500-2000 failed. I listened to the various sections of the turbo with a dowel and everything sounded fine.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. I've sent the question off to [email protected] In the meantime I thought I'd post here in case someone has ever experienced anything like this.

I did a search on Google and there are a surprising number of people who have asked about the same thing on various cars but I never found anyone that seemed to conclusively find the source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znaut View Post
So I completed the install of the WR3 (EFR6758) turbo upgrade last night along with a catted downpipe, external wastegate and DDM intake and charge pipes.

I was idling the car and everything sounded fine. I then held the rpm around 1500 while making sure my temps weren't climbing when I heard a high pitched ringing sound. It sounded like something spinning fast and nicking a piece of metal causing it to ring. The end result was almost a continuous tone similar to a tuning fork.

When I let off the gas it went away. If I held it again between 1500-2000 it would start again after a few seconds. I repeated this three times then turned off the car.

Tonight I warmed the car up with the intent of recording the noise except that I couldn't reproduce the sound. All of my attempts holding the idle between 1500-2000 failed. I listened to the various sections of the turbo with a dowel and everything sounded fine.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. I've sent the question off to [email protected] In the meantime I thought I'd post here in case someone has ever experienced anything like this.

I did a search on Google and there are a surprising number of people who have asked about the same thing on various cars but I never found anyone that seemed to conclusively find the source.
I'd check the shaft play and look for any markings in the housing from the wheel.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

So my high frequency ringing seems to have turned into a lower frequency rattle. Sometimes it's there and sometimes not. I drove the car lightly around the block and heard it letting off the throttle. Seems to be associated with the bypass valve operation. Still not sure what's causing it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

The rattle was back in force tonight. It's only at low RPM so far. I can't find anything loose. Thoughts?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:52 PM

A couple of questions and few things to check:

What year is your car?

Auto or manual?

Mileage on your car?

A few things to check:

I had a similar rattle. There is what I call a mesh hinge that allows the exhaust to move in 2 different pieces. It should be within the area of the passenger door, underneath the car. These rings on mesh hinges that hold the mesh to the pipes tend (especially if you have a Solo exhaut) to come loose. Check that part first!!!!

It honestly sounds like you have something loose on your exhaust/turbo somewhere.

One of the reasons I asked what year your car, is that it could be your timing chain... But I would guess it's more something loose.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 03-16-2019 at 12:54 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

I think you nailed it Ghost. I was checking the exhaust from the cat connection forward as that was where all of the work was done but it appears to be coming from the exhaust pipe somewhere rear of there. I don't see anything loose/damaged and the pipe is not making contact with anything external other than the downpipe connection and suspension hangers on the muffler. I did push the whole pipe to the side about 8 inches when swapping out the cats so I guess I must have broken something in there somewhere. I can't see anything loose around the mesh connection and the sound does seem to be further back but it's hard to tell for sure.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mesh connection.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	94209  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:04 AM

had a problem like this with oem setup was a loose bolt near the block infront of the cat that holds a support for the oem turbo... somehow it rattled lose or was never tqed down form previous owner. only did it between 800-1300 rpm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode