Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

RPM Stage 3 K04 Big Wheel Super Core R&R Video

6K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  LatinVenom 
#1 · (Edited)
RPM has posted a video on their website (also Kappa FB groups) showing how you can save money by removing and replacing the OEM turbo core and replacing it with their big wheel turbo core. Definitely worth a watch if you plan on doing this or are interested in having it done. Sorry cannot provide a video link.

#2 ·
Well, it saves you $350 over the refurbished complete turbo with the same modification from Werks.

Is that worth it? I don't really know - I'd be inclined to buy the complete turbo all set up, new bearings, seals etc., rather than taking my chances with all of that - the price difference then seems pretty small. And you'd have to pay a turbo shop to set up the cartridge anyway and maybe replace seals etc, so you might not save any money - could even come in higher.....

#3 ·
Swapping out the turbo guts isn't difficult. They're pretty simple devices.

I put a Werks big wheel and a new tune on the GXP a couple of weeks ago. The difference is pretty shocking. It spools just as quickly as the stock unit and produces a LOT more power. I haven't had it on the dyno yet, but it didn't used to spin r-compound tires at 2800 RPM in second. (It may actually spool faster, but that may be my imagination. Either way, it's very responsive.)

I thought about going with one of the bigger upgrades but, for my use case, spool time is pretty important. And the extra $1000 buys a lot of beer. :)

#5 ·
Swapping out the turbo guts isn't difficult. They're pretty simple devices.
I understand that but have you ever been caught with a failed component, between two long distance parties? The turbo fails, so you blame the remanufacturer of the core, who in turn blames the guy who installed it in your turbo.

How do you think that is going to work out for you.....especially when the only one you could sue (assuming you figured is was worth the aggravation of a small claims action) is the local guy that assembled it and is energetically claiming that their work was perfect and that it is the rebuilder in the foreign jurisdiction who screwed the pooch?

I can tell you - no judgement against the local guy as you couldn't prove they were at fault and not worth chasing the foreign supplier. And possibly a credit card company that sidesteps the whole thing because the waters are now muddied with blame accusations leaving it unclear what DID happen.

I have seen clients litigating for a lot more money in that sort of scenario ending up with zip except a legal bill at the end of the day.

#6 ·
That's why I do all of the work myself. Everytime I let someone else touch my car, they break something.

Suing someone over $1000-$1500 is hardly worth the trouble, anyway. Unfortunately.

#8 ·
JohnWR asked you the same question and you seem to miss what wspohn is saying. Stay away from the RPM offer and buy the WERKS (As you did) instead.

#9 ·
Ah. Somehow I completely missed that part. Oops. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#12 ·
The only thing that RPM reuses are the housings, the CHRA is new with an upgraded thrust bearing, etc. I have seen logs from RPM stage 3 and they flow and hold boost the same as the stock k04 turbo do. Several of people on FB have posted dyno numbers of the stage 3 (Bw k04+Downpipe+Charge pipes) and they are making less than 300 whp.

#13 · (Edited)
I have to ask, did anyone actually take the time to watch the entire video? It does contain a lot of information and explains how the core's been modified, talks about replacing aged parts, inspecting the turbo, etc. It also points out that the reason RPM is offering this product is to save money for those who are mechanically inclined. For those who aren't then you'd be better buying one that has already been assembled be it RPM or PAW. This is NOT something I'd do myself but I still enjoyed watching to better understand what's all involved, and I figured a few folks on here would too. YMMV

I'd embedded the video but haven't been able to figure out how to do it yet.

#17 ·
Interesting. We've seen dynos at 328 whp with the big wheel K04. Wonder why they aren't making that?

Of course comparing numbers between different dynos is a pretty hopeless task if you are looking for definitive numbers.

#19 ·
There is absolutely no way a large wheel turbo upgrade will give you 350whp/380wtq, this guy from RPM does not seem to have change his stripes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.