Trifecta/catless downpipe/what else? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Saveaux

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Trifecta/catless downpipe/what else?

Hello fellow Solstice owners. I am on season 3 with my stock '07 GXP and decided to add a few horses. From what I gather, the Trifecta tune and high-flow cat seem like the place to start (I went Solo catless-how can you get more high-flow than that?) While I wait for these items to show up so I can install them, is there anything else that I will need to complete the package? O2 sensors? I plan on breaking the old gal in for a while, but what would be the next step? New exhaust? Also, when the tune asks about the on/off, I get the cruise control on=tune on, but the other option is comp mode on=tune on. What is comp mode? Is this option added when the tune is uploaded? Thanks in advance for the help...I love my Solstice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:41 AM

I am not familiar with trifecta, but before you upload the tune I'll suggest the following: spark plugs, intake valve cleaning, belts, oil change, brake pads if needed and tires (if they are in bad shape or too old). I would skip the charge pipes, intercooler (unless you are going to race back to back) and a cold air intake, all 3 offer minimal performance gains not worth the money. Wait on the catback exhaust maybe you like the sound of the catless downpipe, if the downpipe doesn't come with a gasket buy one from solo performance.

Enjoy your car!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlass View Post
What is comp mode?
Double tap the Traction Control button... and you're in competitive mode. I am running Trifecta's switchable tune ($400), the car has their base tune running until I double tap the button, which activates their custom tune. The custom tune takes into account any mods done to the car. It is quite a difference between the two tunes!

2008 GXP Aggressive Red - SOL LVR - Trifecta custom switchable tune - DDM CAI/charge tubes/silicone hoses - Werks IC - Solo Hi-flow Cat/Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM Probeam/Backbone/Venom brace - Sprint Booster - Short throw shifter - Full LED conversion w/pulsating third brake light and sequential turn signals - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlass View Post
....... What is comp mode? .......
"Comp mode" (technically "Competitive Driving Mode") is one of four states that the Electronic Stability/Traction Control System can be in.

>On powering the car, ESC and TC are both on.
>Pushing the control button once turns TC off, but leaves ESC on. The traction control light on the DIC will be on.
>Pushing the control button twice within 5 seconds enables Comp Mode, turns TC off, puts ESC in a limited mode, lights the TC light and sends a "Competitive Mode" message.
>Pushing the control button and holding it for 5 seconds (it seems longer) turns both TC and ESC completely off, lights the TC light and sends a "ESC Off" message.
>Pushing the control button again (after 5 seconds) will turn TC and/or ESC back on and the TC light off.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:41 PM

Garage
I installed my Trifecta tune about a year ago; the tune's default setting was - tune on: cruise off; tune off:cruise on.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSolstice View Post
I would skip the charge pipes, intercooler (unless you are going to race back to back) and a cold air intake, all 3 offer minimal performance gains not worth the money.

Enjoy your car!
It may be worth noting - the cold air intake allows the turbo and blow off valve to be heard much more loudly.

To me, it was worth the money just for the sound.
raygun likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
It may be worth noting - the cold air intake allows the turbo and blow off valve to be heard much more loudly.

I found the strangled goose noise annoying at first and later just grew to ignore it to the point where I never notice it anymore. It would only be a plus for the CA kit if you are an owner that delights in such things. For others it could be an irritation.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post

Nasty sound. There isn't much more annoying than being on a run with someone that has a CAI. Except for two of them.

John
Lexington, KY
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:12 PM

Garage
My favorite mod is the Probeam from DDMWorks.

2007 GXP Pure
Probeam/Backbone/Trifecta Tune
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alannn View Post
My favorite mod is the Probeam from DDMWorks.
I agree. Probably the single most important one for anyone to do.

John
Lexington, KY
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:58 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Roll bar.

Because race car.

(It also stiffens up the chassis quite a bit.)

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode