Tuning - misfires at high(ish) boost - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
What is "CRC?" I'm thinking error detection & correction, but that can't be right.

CRC is a brand name. e.g...

Sting Ya and raygun like this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:39 PM

My friend used CRC Intake Valve Cleaner that is safe for direct injected engines and turbos. He pulled the sensor on the cold side of the intercooler pipe (to bypass the turbo). He used a heat resistant putty to hold the solvent straw in place (and to seal the rest of the hole) and sprayed in the cleaner. He followed all the instructions on the can. Right after that, he changed the oil (as it was dirty with carbon) and the car ran fine.

Sting Ya and raygun like this.

Please Support The:

Be The Match Bone Marrow Registry

Drove My Redline home top down on 12/12/06
In Akron, Ohio !!
Silver Pearl / Black Leather
5 Speed
Limited-Slip Differential
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
B Series Stubby Antenna
Enjoying Another Cancer Free Day
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
What is "CRC?" I'm thinking error detection & correction, but that can't be right.
it's a Brand Name... see post 17

Bill
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I'll flash it back to stock this weekend and compare boost levels vs GMPP. What sort of boost should I expect from the GMPP tune? I also need to get it out on the highway and log some WOT pulls.

Spark plugs are the Delco 41-108s, which come pre-gapped.

Also, I previously had a CEL due to multiple random misfires, even before the new tune. There's something else going on here. I replaced the HPFP recently, but as far as I can tell the new one is working fine.

It's still a balmy 40 F here; supposed to be back up close to 70 in the next day or two. New Year's resolution: clean out the garage so that my wrenching time isn't restricted to good weather days.
What are they pregapped at? Just because they are pregapped doesn't mean they didn't get knocked around in the boxes messing up the gaps. Also, the gaps may still be too far for the strength of spark your coils are putting to them (thus blowing spark out).

The Gmpp should be the same (fairly close) amount of boost as a trifecta tune which should be around 20 to 24psi. 14psi is flat out stock. I'm saying this because you are only 800 ft above sea level so it won't have that much of an effect on your boost levels either. Regardless you should be seeing around 20+ psi with the GMPP.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
They're at 0.035, I think? They were all identical, with the little plastic cylinders protecting the electrode. I'll pull them and check again, but I've been told by more than one tuner not to mess with the plug gap if it's at spec.

My handy-dandy endoscope showed up today, so I pulled the brake booster hose & nipple off of the manifold and had a look. There's so much crap in the thing that I'm not sure how it runs *at all*.

If I can get through the honey-do list tomorrow, I'll go ahead and pull the manifold and clean things up.
Sting Ya likes this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Solved, finally.

After walnut blasting the (REALLY gross) intake valves, replacing the bypass valve that I broke, replacing the cam actuator solenoids - I wasn't getting a code, but they looked pretty rough and I had a set in a box from the other car - everything is working very well.

These are from Virtual Dyno, based on some HPT logs. Obviously that's not as accurate as a real dyno, but the buzz online is that this should be really close. Having owned & driven a number of other cars in that power range, I don't have trouble believing that the numbers are close to reality.

3rd gear is a pretty graph,

But 4th is the 1:1 ratio gear, so it's probably more accurate:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VirtualDyno-4th-gear.png
Views:	78
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	93157   Click image for larger version

Name:	VirtualDyno-3rd-gear.png
Views:	66
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	93159  

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces

Last edited by raygun; 01-23-2019 at 11:02 AM.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:43 PM

Garage
Wow!! Great numbers Raygun!!!
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@Saveaux Yeah... the more I think about it, I think I'm just not handling the virtual dyno software correctly. Getting the right data out of HP Tuners is a bit of a trick. If you include data from part of the log that was in a different gear, the charts go nuts. I need a button on the steering wheel that will tell HPT to stop and start logging. I could probably find some sort of USB or BT "button" and map that to a key macro... (Thought for the day: over-engineering is under-rated.)

Once I get it on the real dyno on March, we'll see.

But, fun fact: if you floor it in second, the traction control turns on.

I had another few misfires after logging some hard 3rd gear pulls, so something else is still going on. Hopefully the next revision of the tune will address that.

Last edited by raygun; 01-26-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode