Werks WR3 upgrade thread - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Raygun, I agree completely!

The hoses coming out the wrong way and interfering with the battery bothered me too. I ordered one of these halfway through the install. Not sure if it will work but for $30 it gives me something to play with and see if I can come up with a better solution.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-PO...72.m2749.l2649
raygun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Treadstone has a lot of useful stuff for turbo installs including some EFR specific fittings.

This might be a good alternative to the coolant hardline:

Turbo Waterline, Feed-line, Supply Line- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Finally underway. Pulled the stock stuff out tonight. It was more work than I was expecting. A couple of good knuckle busters in there for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EFR pre.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	94029  
post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:39 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Good progress.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:18 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Nice!

While it's easy to get the manifold back off, it's a good time to go ahead and replace the water pump if you haven't already.

Also, when installing the cat, I found it helped a lot to remove the passenger side motor mount (from under the car) and lift the engine up a few inches on that side. Just put a block of wood on top of your jack and lift it. Removing the 2-3 10mm bolts that hold the fuse box in place will let you slide that out a few inches, as well. (Every little bit of space helps!)

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces

Last edited by raygun; 03-04-2019 at 07:21 AM.
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Garage
Solo has 2 videos on YouTube detailing how to remove the old cat without touching motor mounts. It requires "spinning" the cat in a VERY specific pattern. Video 2 shows the spin maneuver. I laid under my car and would watch 5 seconds of the video, pause the video, try to emulate what I saw, often times rewinding and trying again until I got that specific spin, then would hit play for an additional 5 seconds, trying to emulate that, etc. Reverse spinning to get the new cat in.

I genuinely thought it would have been impossible to do until I followed the steps - it actually worked!!!

Good luck!

Video 1:
https://youtu.be/kgNkvD7OKnk
Video 2:
https://youtu.be/sIwMKwHYHJw
post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
Solo has 2 videos on YouTube detailing how to remove the old cat without touching motor mounts. It requires "spinning" the cat in a VERY specific pattern. Video 2 shows the spin maneuver. I laid under my car and would watch 5 seconds of the video, pause the video, try to emulate what I saw, often times rewinding and trying again until I got that specific spin, then would hit play for an additional 5 seconds, trying to emulate that, etc. Reverse spinning to get the new cat in.

I genuinely thought it would have been impossible to do until I followed the steps - it actually worked!!!

Good luck!

Video 1:
Video 2:
I followed the video and got my stock cat out without too much problem. After I got it out I watched the 3rd part where they pointed out the they raised the motor a couple of inches lol. I didn't need to do that but it may be necessary when it comes time to get this wastegate in there.
raygun likes this.
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by znaut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post

Good luck!

Video 1:
Video 2:
I followed the video and got my stock cat out without too much problem. After I got it out I watched the 3rd part where they pointed out the they raised the motor a couple of inches lol. I didn't need to do that but it may be necessary when it comes time to get this wastegate in there.

There's a third video?? Haha!! I never saw the video but managed to do the spin and removal maneuver without raising anything.
raygun likes this.
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:26 PM

Garage
After spending over an hour trying to get the cat out, I raised the motor and it popped right out. I'm sure it's possible to get it out without lifting the engine, but it takes less than ten minutes to do and provided a LOT more clearance.

I feel like I've had this conversation before. Recently.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Got a little work done today. Mostly just going back and forth getting everything to fit - cutting and trimming as necessary. Moved the oil feed line over. Had to rework the oil drain fitting as it wouldn't begin to clear the water pipe.

At the last second I decided I might as well check the nuts on the exhaust manifold and it's a good thing I did as they were almost all loose. One was backed out about 3 turns. That seemed strange as every other nut involved in the turbo removal seemed like it was welded on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EFR fitment 1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	94035  
post #41 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Wastegate installed. Hard to even get pictures of it. Having a lift made this 1000x easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wastegate 1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	94055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wastegate 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	94057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wastegate 3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	94059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wastegate above.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	94061  
raygun likes this.

Last edited by znaut; 03-07-2019 at 03:19 AM. Reason: added picture
post #42 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:36 AM

Garage
Nice work. But, I think using a lift is cheating.

post #43 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

The final pieces to the puzzle just arrived. Hopefully I will get this wrapped up in the next couple of days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	intake and charge pipes.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	94099  
post #44 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Having trouble getting this project wrapped up. Sure looks like the new pipe is too long.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EFR charge pipe fitting.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	94109  
post #45 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:27 PM

Garage
Looks normal.

It's easier to attach the pipe to the turbo first, then to the intercooler second. Also, you can rotate it some to get some more room. (Obviously, leave the clamps loose when doing this.) (Some silicone on the inside of the couplers makes this a bit easier, as well.)

There are a lot of posts, etc. around talking about the pipes being too long. I had some issues getting the LH pipe to clear the hood, but some wiggling and rotating got it to work.

I'm not sure why DDM doesn't just make them an inch shorter. There's plenty of clearance.

(And don't forget your clamps!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode