Information Overload - Supercharger or Turbo? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
hmm always more questions.....with the twin scroll turbo does it have to have a twin/split exhaust header/manifold to work right?like the oe gxp "split" manifold, or will it still work right with a std header with single open outlet?? yes Im almost clueless with turbo's, Ive built a good few sc motors.(v8 stuff). I was considering a sc but that aint gonna help mpg any at all...
It needs the split manifold to get the cylinder pair exhaust pulses arriving separately.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyFunkMN View Post
I'm considering installation of either the Rotrex supercharger kit from DDM Works or the stage 2 turbo charger kit from RPM Motorsports.
Hey @MonkeyFunkMN, did you see this? -- https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...ml#post1299567
MonkeyFunkMN likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:32 AM

Garage
I think that either supercharger or turbo would make you happy. I have had both (though not on the Kappas) and while I prefer the top end of the turbo when properly sized, just as many people will like the supercharger for the immediacy and strong low down torque. (A properly sized turbo also has excellent low torque, but in these cars it is programmed not to allow as quick torque production as possible to avoid damaging the driveline).

Decide what your power targets are. If you want high power, the GXP is the way to go - the stock engine already puts out what the 2.4 with turbo would, more or less, and it has a huge tunable margin still to go. If you like great acceleration for low speeds ad don't ted to rev an engine, the supercharger might make you happy.

The LNF engine was designed for turbo use; the LE5 was not, BTW.
Sting Ya and MonkeyFunkMN like this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
I did, and while I'm always interested in a deal I'm more intersted in a complete kit that I can install and will run as it is supposed to right out of the box. I appreciate the heads up, but I know enough to know that as a boost novice piecing my own system together will cost more in dollars, time, and hassles than going with a complete kit will.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I did, and while I'm always interested in a deal I'm more intersted in a complete kit that I can install and will run as it is supposed to right out of the box. I appreciate the heads up, but I know enough to know that as a boost novice piecing my own system together will cost more in dollars, time, and hassles than going with a complete kit will.

Less hassle even though sounds like you have a nice car. Is look around for a nice GXP then sell yours. More to start with and if you need more plus all the electronics to control the extra power. Will be cheaper in the long run. When you go to resell you cut the buying pool way down with a modded car. Even more so with the age group that likes these cars. Supercharger with a short 1st gear will be a hand full before you get to redline. The ones I've seen just burn the tires and look like snooze you lose in a race. Supercharger does sound cool inside the car
MonkeyFunkMN likes this.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireKicker View Post
Less hassle even though sounds like you have a nice car. Is look around for a nice GXP then sell yours. More to start with and if you need more plus all the electronics to control the extra power. Will be cheaper in the long run. When you go to resell you cut the buying pool way down with a modded car. Even more so with the age group that likes these cars. Supercharger with a short 1st gear will be a hand full before you get to redline. The ones I've seen just burn the tires and look like snooze you lose in a race. Supercharger does sound cool inside the car
I thought about that, and there's no question that it's good advice - but I'm committed to THIS car for reasons which are a longer story than you'll care to read. If I were going to compete with the car I'd do exactly that - more power right out of the gate, less money per HP going up from there, and by most accounts a greater potential for maximum power - but I'm only looking to make this car a more sprited driver. It's weird I know, but my goals just aren't what most who add power are.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I thought about that, and there's no question that it's good advice - but I'm committed to THIS car for reasons which are a longer story than you'll care to read. If I were going to compete with the car I'd do exactly that - more power right out of the gate, less money per HP going up from there, and by most accounts a greater potential for maximum power - but I'm only looking to make this car a more sprited driver. It's weird I know, but my goals just aren't what most who add power are.
I don't think its weird. It is exactly what i did. Sometimes practicality and absolute performance are not the most important factors.
MonkeyFunkMN likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:06 PM

Just got done installing the DDM supercharger two weeks ago. Great kit and total complete. Took two days to do the install by my self and could have been done faster if I wasn't so darn fussy. Instruction where good with a couple small gaps to figure out, no big deal. Car runs strong and happy with the performance. Did not want a turbo because of the added heat under the hood. Something I was not expecting was a increase in fuel mileage, if I take it easy I'll get 32 MPG.
ChopTop and MonkeyFunkMN like this.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:23 AM

"BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH......I'M NOT LISTENING!!!!"

Dangit you guys - stop it!

<logging on to check his bank account balance now.
MonkeyFunkMN likes this.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:50 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Given the price of the turbo and supercharger kits, I’d consider going with an LNF instead. A friend here recently got a new (possible remanufactured, but this engine was clean inside and out) LNF, complete with turbo, for about $2200 from ATK. He’s put about 2k miles on it so far and has had zero issues.

Now, you’d also need a replacement clutch and flywheel (they’re different for the LNF and LE5), a tune and an intake, but my feeling is that you’d wind up with a more stable result.

I love the turbo kit on my ‘06, but the LNF is a different beast.

On the note of turbo vs SC:

I enjoy driving an SC-equipped car a LOT more than turbos. It's as close to an NA torque curve as you're going to get in a forced-induction application. I've heard many times about the power that SCs take to run, and that's true. In the "Jay Leno's Garage" episode on the C7 ZR-1, the Chevy rep mentioned that the supercharger took something like 300HP to run at redline. (Of course, it generates way more than that, or else it'd be a waste of time.)

In a perfect world, we'd have a nice 48V electrical system capable of (easily) running some sort of electric turbo assist at low RPM to combat lag. Or a nice big V8.
MonkeyFunkMN likes this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar

Last edited by raygun; 07-12-2019 at 07:05 AM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
Given the price of the turbo and supercharger kits, Id consider going with an LNF instead. A friend here recently got a new (possible remanufactured, but this engine was clean inside and out) LNF, complete with turbo, for about $2200 from ATK. Hes put about 2k miles on it so far and has had zero issues.

Now, youd also need a replacement clutch and flywheel (theyre different for the LNF and LE5), a tune and an intake, but my feeling is that youd wind up with a more stable result.

I love the turbo kit on my 06, but the LNF is a different beast.

On the note of turbo vs SC:

I enjoy driving an SC-equipped car a LOT more than turbos. It's as close to an NA torque curve as you're going to get in a forced-induction application. I've heard many times about the power that SCs take to run, and that's true. In the "Jay Leno's Garage" episode on the C7 ZR-1, the Chevy rep mentioned that the supercharger took something like 300HP to run at redline. (Of course, it generates way more than that, or else it'd be a waste of time.)

In a perfect world, we'd have a nice 48V electrical system capable of (easily) running some sort of electric turbo assist at low RPM to combat lag. Or a nice big V8.
Its something like 10% to run a high end supercharger more like 75-80 hp on the vette. Top fuel 900-1000 hp to run theirs
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:45 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
@TireKicker

Yeah, that 300 number struck me as a little ridiculous.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode