Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Which oil filter do you use?

11K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  TVRBill 
#1 ·
I have always used fram in my car but I have noticed that with the last oil change I did the motor isnt holding oil pressure like it was. I swapped to a different filter and it went right back up. So im guessing Fram isnt what they used to be because the filter was pretty musch collapsed. So, what oil filter do you use?

#4 ·
I've read it's K&N PS-7000 or ACDelco PF457G

#7 ·
ACDelco PF457G
or
bosch

#10 ·
Typically I use Mobil1 or Bosch. That being said; I'm not sure how oil pressure would be different between filters, assuming installed correctly and undamaged. In the case of our little cars, the filter is mainly just an element with a plastic cap. It seems to me conventional screw-on filters with the potential for bypass or check valves would suffer if the quality of the valve wasn't up to par (Fram filters with a cardboard check valve comes to mind), but since our filters don't seem to have that feature, I don't believe that would apply here.

#12 ·
old thread I know, but Ive seen many filters that are not up to the task.ac has different type filters for this engine.I like the ones made in france.they are a zigzag pleat.and the plastic inner core support go's from bottom to top. not half way witch lets the filter collapse/wadd up. the std ac you buy is straight pleat, I havent checked if the plastic inner support go's end to end like the one made in france. I just bought a lot of 10 off flebay (GM OEM-Engine Oil Filter 12605565 #24460712 Lot of 10 NEW for $50.00) I dont know if the 12605565 is the france # but the 24460712 seems to be, but look or ask before you buy them. either look for the zig zag pleat or the made in France. they also have the cap with them.for those who havent noticed the caps have a spring loaded seat that the filter compresses some when it's screrwed down &torqued. it's a pretty stiff spring I assume the cap also has the bypass built in it since the filter dosent have it. my car had the expensive good napa filter that was wadded up due to no inner support(only go's about half way so the filter meida(pleats) take all the pressure from the spring loaded cap( remember basicly these are paper like material soaked with oil.....) so for me Ill stay with the gen-u-wine ac made if france filters for my car,also with the zig zag pleats there is much much more filtering area.
I bought the first made in france filter from barker chevrolet on flebay for $14.00, after looking at it real good I ordered the lot of 10 from another vender for $50.00 ( he also had a lot of 6 for $49.00).

#15 · (Edited)
Hard to hear myself say it... I like the looks of those French filters!

#16 ·
thats why I ordered one first after opening about 5 other manufactures filters boxes and seeing they were made all rong. with the price of the crapola filter's that has no cap with it and that there made rong... for me it's a no brainier. I hate to say it but I put a fram in my car when I changed the oil about 2 weeks ago as I didnt /havent seen the france ac filter, the fram looked the best of all the ones I had checked. Ill put one of these French's filters in at some point.

#19 ·
it looks like the #24460712 is the french filter number. the 12605565 is the usa made AC straight pleet filter number,I have not inspected those to see if they are made with the plastic going from end to end as it should to keep the filter mieda from taking all the spring pressure from the cap and thus wadding the filter up on the ones that dont have it and have "week".. filter paper.... Imm learning more about these cars every day... a whole new learning curve for me...thinking about putting some 51 Ida webbers on it and a dist I cant tune the way I like it....never been fond of computer stuff that I cant do squat with...ERRRR and paying somebody else for a "tune" is something I have never done before...execpt for the raido,dvd's cassettes& lp's.

#20 ·
I was intrigued by the "Deluxe Fram" as such, I noticed wire mesh backing inside the filter... Anyone try those?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.