Pontiac Solstice Forum

Pontiac Solstice Forum (https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/)
-   Mods - Engine/Transmission Major, including Transplants (https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f65/)
-   -   Calling V8 swap owners. Was it worth it? (https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f65/calling-v8-swap-owners-worth-138177/)

Bloodbath McGra 02-04-2017 05:23 PM

Calling V8 swap owners. Was it worth it?

I'm from NJ, and seriously debating getting an LS3 with a nice lumpy cam dropped into my Solstice. Question is, how does the car handle after having around 500 ponies under the hood? Does it break traction too easily and never hook up? Is the additional weight in the front make driving it a chore?

Also looking to see how much you guys spent on your swaps. I've seen shops online offer about $23,000 give or take a little for what I'm looking for. That seems a bit high, in my opinion, but I could be wrong.

Also, what did you do with your ecotech? Mine only has about 32,000 on it, but I don't think I'd get much if I tried to sell it nor would there be a huge market.

rob the elder 02-04-2017 06:08 PM

Welcome to the forum

skersfan 02-04-2017 09:20 PM

Some really like them, some not so much.

To do it right, your going to have that in it, unless you buy a well used LS3 and just drop it in.

The car will need help in the rear end department, a better clutch.

Steering does not seem to be affected much.

If you can get traction control in it, I think you will enjoy it more.

I would guess you could get close to 2K for a low miles engine with verification of miles. Not sure.

Is it worth the money, again some think it is. I bought mine dirt cheap, would I have ever paid the original 40K in mods, not a chance. The little 2.0 is more than adequate and for me a lot more fun to drive.

rob the elder 02-04-2017 09:43 PM

Mine started as a GXP and handles better after the conversion. Power to weight is as you would imagine very good. The factory stability control and traction control work well.

sjw 02-05-2017 08:46 AM

Worth it to me? Yes. Do it again? Yes. Worth it to you? Cant say. I can say that in order to do it right it isnt cheap or easy or fast.

Ive owned a number of high performance cars, N/A, turbo charged, V8, 4cyl...etc. This has been the most entertaining car I have had.

Almost any car with 500+ HP is going to have traction issues without a proper set up. That costs time and money to do right.

Unless your some kind of professional driver you wont even notice the extra weight.

The original motor went to the shop that did the conversion.

Traction control..meh. First thing I do when I get in the car is turn it off.

DaveOC 02-05-2017 08:59 AM

Amazingly, the LS3 isn't a lot heavier that the LE5 or the LNF, most of the conversions are only about 150 pounds heavier after the conversion, and there isn't a huge weight shift to the front of the car, assuming you use the aluminum version of the LS engine.

YMMV

:thumbs:

raygun 02-05-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveOC (Post 1945833)
...assuming you use the aluminum version of the LS engine...

Funny thing: the iron block adds about 80lbs. While I'm all for aluminum, iron blocks are SO much less expensive that it'd almost be worth it.

Relocating the battery to the back of the car would offset half of that.

Is it worth it? Check this out:

(I think that's Tony's car)

DaveOC 02-05-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raygun (Post 1945921)
Funny thing: the iron block adds about 80lbs. While I'm all for aluminum, iron blocks are SO much less expensive that it'd almost be worth it.

(I think that's Tony's car)

Yes, that is Tony's car. It started life as a run of the mill 2.4 solstice, then became the "Soul Food Solstice" while it was owned by Hahn, and it was the first Hahn Turbo'ed Sols, it later became Tony's Bull Run Solstice, and in it's most recent iteration, had the Turbo'ed 2.4 replaced by the LS engine.

:yay:

ChopTop 02-05-2017 02:25 PM

Here's a couple threads I created, the first is V8 Kappa's for sale, along w/a lot of opinions. However I feel it's safe to say that if anyone makes money selling a V8 Kappa that it is the exception rather than the rule. Point being, you have to really want to have a V8 in your Kappa, and be aware that you may never get the money out if that you've put into it.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...09/index5.html

The second thread is for low priced Kappa's ($5,000 & under), most are 100+ miles cars that vary in condition, but make excellent candidates for engine transplants.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...18/index4.html

For example here's one for $4,000; 2006 PONTIAC SOLSTICE 2DR CONVERTIBLE!--LOW MILES!! *5-SPEED MANUAL*. While it looks nice in pics, it could have a multitude of mechanical or eletrical problems. Figure $25,000 for the cost of an LS engine and installation labor, you're still going to have almost $30,000 for a car that might only bring $20,000 upon completion.

Please don't take my comments as anti-V8 (I'm totally the opposite), just know that if you have to pay someone else to do everything that labor will increase the price at least 50% and higher.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/a...72c4d83bce.jpg

elff 02-05-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodbath McGra (Post 1945601)
I'm from NJ, and seriously debating getting an LS3 with a nice lumpy cam dropped into my Solstice. Question is, how does the car handle after having around 500 ponies under the hood? Does it break traction too easily and never hook up? Is the additional weight in the front make driving it a chore?

Also looking to see how much you guys spent on your swaps. I've seen shops online offer about $23,000 give or take a little for what I'm looking for. That seems a bit high, in my opinion, but I could be wrong.

Also, what did you do with your ecotech? Mine only has about 32,000 on it, but I don't think I'd get much if I tried to sell it nor would there be a huge market.

You might be able to sell your engine to someone who is local to you in NJ. I am not sure if he already committed on a replacement block.
Send a PM to JohnnyGXP if you are serious. He would need an answer by March as that is when he wants to begin work.

I have ~400HP and TQ in my EFR Sky and I can say that the traction control is worthless. It comes on, it flashes, but it does nothing to stop the wheels from spinning. I can post an HPT Log I took today in which I kicked the back end out in second gear and redlined it while all the nanny controls were engaged.

I have to question the people who state it still works with 500+hp. Unless I see that in person, I call B.S.

rob the elder 02-05-2017 07:11 PM

On my 460 WHP car the TC works as designed. It limits wheel spin very effectively

elff 02-05-2017 09:14 PM

Im gonna quote myself
Quote:

Originally Posted by elff (Post 1946073)
Unless I see that in person, I call B.S.

Or
You drive like Ms Daisy
Or
My turbo has more torque than your V8
>:)

rob the elder 02-06-2017 04:26 AM

I have described accurately my experience.

HotScott 02-06-2017 06:01 AM

I have to agree with Rob, I have 525hp V8 and it limits my wheel spin and if It gets to much it will pull the power. Thats why I turn it off if want to have fun. So ...No BS!

wspohn 02-06-2017 08:40 AM

Having traction control doesn't mean your tires won't spin (unless you have a way of suspending the laws of physics), it just means that you'll leave two black stripes instead of one. >:)