Calling V8 swap owners. Was it worth it? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Having traction control doesn't mean your tires won't spin (unless you have a way of suspending the laws of physics), it just means that you'll leave two black stripes instead of one.
Hmm. Well traction control that's wired into engine mgmt. (as ours are) will back off the fuel and reduce power to stop the tires from spinning - based on the determination that the front wheels are NOT spinning.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:58 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Having traction control doesn't mean your tires won't spin (unless you have a way of suspending the laws of physics), it just means that you'll leave two black stripes instead of one.
I thought that was the function of the limited slip differential . . .

Traction control will either reduce fuel and/or apply brakes to achieve the goal of having all 4 wheels spinning at approximately the same speed . . .

or some such.

1st 1K - #741
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 03:28 PM

Garage
I just picked up a 2006 Mallet conversion in December, I really enjoy the limited driving I have been able to do with it. Handling is great IMO but it does have the upgraded adjustable Penske Coil over shocks. It is a LS2 5-speed manual car and it is traction limited.

Anouther option you may consider is buying a car already converted. I only spend a little more than the conversion companies seem to be charging for a very clean under 20,000 mile car. There are a few out there to consider.

Certified Pontaholic & Former Jet Mech

1969 Firebird Sprint 301 OHC-6, T-5
1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 455
1973 Lemans Safari 400 4-speed
1977 Astre Formula 215 V-8 T-5
1978 Sunbird Safari 231 V-6 2004R
1978 Catalina Safari Soon to have a Pontiac 400 4bb
2006 Mallet Solstice LS2 6-speed Manual
2009 G8 GT
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 06:29 PM
Founding Member

Well maybe the 4cyliders Kappa with either upgraded turbo wheel like mine and others with larger turbos the torque which is usually 350 or higher makes the rear tires with TC on, not only light up but the back end gets pretty tail happy.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:02 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
The stability control keeps the car pointed forward. The traction control acts in addition to the limited slip differential. The traction control reduces power with slip and cuts power with more slip. It will NOT turn a wheel when its on. You can get a chirp if you try but then it pulls power.

Remember this is without the TC on

Tony's car is basically the same as the other two with the addition of nitrous to bump up the power. Don't ask me why but there you are.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

Last edited by rob the elder; 02-06-2017 at 09:04 PM.
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:21 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
My understanding is that, typically, TC is spark and/or fuel cut, while stability control is selective brake application to, as rob said, keep the car pointed forward. The latter shouldn't be affected by more power, unless the CPU is really a POS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
Well maybe the 4cyliders Kappa with either upgraded turbo wheel like mine and others with larger turbos the torque which is usually 350 or higher makes the rear tires with TC on, not only light up but the back end gets pretty tail happy.

And I stand by my statement.

LUSIFER has been Sold
I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:39 PM

Which of your many statements?
raygun likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story
Punisher thread index

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:52 AM

I have two V8 Sols at the moment and only those who own them can appreciate the sound they make when the ignition key is turned. It never get old. LS2 Charity Car will be completed inside of 30 days and is for sale.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:42 AM
sjw

Im no expert but since TC relies on spark and/or fuel cut,regardless of HP/Tq, you should notice when this comes on as long as it is functioning properly, correct?

Since stability control is selective brake application I guess you could overpower your braking system and get as much wheel spin as desired. If this is the case shouldnt you should be checking your rotors, pads and calipers for excess wear or damage?

Either way it seems like something is wrong with your car and it should be checked.

2008 GXP (?)hp on Werks Mustang Dyno
Werks LS3 Conversion
1 7/8 in custom Werks headers
BTR Stage 2 blower cam
DDM Backbone
Kapasphere ReBar
BG Racing coilovers
Norms rear diffuser, fenders, one off hood. Werks Gurney Flap.
Edelbrock EForce supercharger. Water/meth injection. GM 6L90, trans brake and 2 step. DSS Ford 9in IRS rear conversion, drive shaft and axles. Werks roll bar. Line lock. CCW D540 wheels. MT drag radials. Recaro seats.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:50 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw View Post
If this is the case shouldnt you should be checking your rotors, pads and calipers for excess wear or damage?
I had a C5 'vette a LONG time ago that I believe was one of the first models with so-called "Active Handling," which was labeled as a separate system from the traction control. The brake application is pretty light - it's just another way that the computer can limit slip on individual wheels, and shouldn't increase wear by any significant factor. If that system is kicking in often enough to trash your brakes, you're probably doing it wrong.
sjw likes this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Traction control..meh. First thing I do when I get in the car is turn it off.
It's nearly analogous to guns and full-automatic fire. Noobs mash on the trigger (like this) and never modulate it or compensate, experienced people know what trigger control is and maintain control under full-automatic fire (like this).
sjw likes this.

"You are the product" - Autoguide.com group forums
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:17 AM
sjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmesh View Post
It's nearly analogous to guns and full-automatic fire. Noobs mash on the trigger (like this) and never modulate it or compensate, experienced people know what trigger control is and maintain control under full-automatic fire (like this).
Haha! I know a few of those all or nothing guys....their stuff seems to be broke a lot.

2008 GXP (?)hp on Werks Mustang Dyno
Werks LS3 Conversion
1 7/8 in custom Werks headers
BTR Stage 2 blower cam
DDM Backbone
Kapasphere ReBar
BG Racing coilovers
Norms rear diffuser, fenders, one off hood. Werks Gurney Flap.
Edelbrock EForce supercharger. Water/meth injection. GM 6L90, trans brake and 2 step. DSS Ford 9in IRS rear conversion, drive shaft and axles. Werks roll bar. Line lock. CCW D540 wheels. MT drag radials. Recaro seats.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:01 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to HotScott
Shaun are you coming to Nationals this year? I would love to see your car!! I saw at the shop last year when I picked up mine!

•Werks Tune
•Tunnel Brace
•35% Tinted windows
•Performance Werks V8 525hp Conversion
•T-56 6 Speed Manual Transmission
•Spec 2+ Clutch
•Custom Dual Exhaust
•BC Racing Coilovers
•Rear Brace
•A/C and Cruise
•Forgestar F14 wheels and Pilot Sport tires
•Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Im no expert but since TC relies on spark and/or fuel cut,regardless of HP/Tq, you should notice when this comes on as long as it is functioning properly, correct?

Since stability control is selective brake application I guess you could overpower your braking system and get as much wheel spin as desired. If this is the case shouldnt you should be checking your rotors, pads and calipers for excess wear or damage?

Either way it seems like something is wrong with your car and it should be checked.
When the TC cuts in, the motor basically goes from WOT to idle. You are not overpowering anything.

The SC works by applying differential front braking. It does not impact the TC.

Basically the GXP or cars with LSD has three systems that help maintain traction.

1) the driver
2) the mechanical LSD
3) the computer that executes the TC software

Its never been an issue for me. In fact, the worst thing that has happened to me is making a quick start and having the car nose dive when the TC cuts the power. You can selectively enable more or less overwatch from the TC

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story
Punisher thread index

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode