Manual transmission swap - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Manual transmission swap

I'm considering getting rid of my battle-worn Solstice of Sorrow and picking up a GXP.

I've found a few pretty good deals around here - mostly high miles (but I'm not worried about that) - and automatics.

I simply cannot abide an automatic transmission. One day, my teenage knee injury will force me down that path, but not today!

So, has anyone here swapped a manual into an auto car? I'm trying to come up with a realistic parts list. So far, what's come to mind is:

1. Transmission, clutch and flywheel
2. Drive shaft. (I assume the manual and auto driveshafts are different lengths. Is this correct?)
3. Clutch pedal
4. Clutch pedal switch.
5. ECU flash.
6. Hydraulics - Master, slave and clutch hard line
7. Instrument cluster (optional)

... what am I missing?

I tried doing this a number of years ago on a second generation RX-7, and found that the transmission mount points on the body were different for the auto and manual. I hope that's not the case here.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar

Last edited by raygun; 06-05-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 AM

I think you would be best off to buy a good-condition GXP auto plus a wrecked manual GXP or RL. With the donor car you are guaranteed to have all of the miscellaneous pieces you would need, you will probably be able to buy them for less than the individual parts, and you will have other pars that you can sell or store for later.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:17 PM

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...-manual-70618/

DDM 11/14/2011, Post 3 of 60 posts.
We have an install coming up after the first of the year where we are doing just this and installing a manual in an automatic car. The costs really do not justify doing this to a regular car that is not already heavily modified. If it is just a stock Solstice/Sky it is going to be far better to sell the car and purchase another one.

We are also going to be installing a T56 instead of the stock 5 speed also with this build so we will also be able to offer that information after we are done with the install. That will probably be a better option for heavily modified cars since we keep seeing failures with the stock transmissions.

We have a pretty good list of what items are needed to do the swap and once we have done it I am sure there are going to be some items added to it. Once I have that complete list I will be happy to share all of the parts.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:52 PM

Garage
Why don't you look outside your area. There are lots of 5 speed GXPs for sale throughout the country.

Search on Autotrader.

Flying or driving a distance to buy a 5 speed GXP is less work and $ than swapping trannies.

Good time of year for a road trip.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Normally, I'd agree. But, since I:

1. Have an extra transmission, flywheel and clutch,
2. Have an extra ECU
3. And more time than money for this project at least,
4. And really like breaking things and putting them back together,

I though: hey, why not?

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar

Last edited by raygun; 06-05-2018 at 08:08 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:04 PM

Garage
If you already have the tranny and the time, you are half way there.

Happy GXP hunting!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:01 PM

Is the differential gearing the same for auto and manual cars. Something else to consider.
I, too am always up an automotive challenge, but this swap seems like opening a major can of worms. I swapped out an automatic for a 5-speed in my '69 firebird but things are easier with older technology.
Since you don't have the car yet, I would search out a manual car to buy and keep the parts you have as spares.

Pontiac lover & VietNam vet.
08 GXP 5speed Sly
69 Firebird 350 Carousel Red Convertible t-5
08 Grand Prix Ink Slate - Winter grocery getter
09 G8 Switchblade Silver- Summer daily driver
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:16 PM

The final drive ratio is the same for auto vs manual, but different for 2.4 vs 2.0.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well - for the one I have in mind, we're talking about a $5k price difference. So, yeah, sure - it'd probably be wiser to just buy a manual, but I at least have to consider doing the swap.

It cannot possibly be more difficult than removing, rebuilding and reinstalling the engine, which I've done more than once.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:21 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Actually its a different challenge. The autos have different software, a TCM, cable set etc. I would love to see you do it and learn from the process but its not easy or quick.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
Actually its a different challenge. The autos have different software, a TCM, cable set etc. I would love to see you do it and learn from the process but its not easy or quick.
Well, I've been repairing this car for four years. Quick would be a nice surprise.

Probably just going to keep the current car - I'm pretty attached to it. But I could use a roll bar (HPDEs) and functioning AC. I can fix just about anything on this car at this point, but AC is a PITA. I had it working briefly last summer, but every time I turned it on it would drop the idle so far that the car wanted to die, and would overheat if you let it run for very long. I might file that under "Let the real mechanic do it."

Never give up, never surrender!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:01 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
We are reaching the point where you can pick up a project car with a manual for pretty low cost. Then you have something with the right systems in place to start with at least.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, after looking at the options, including some absolutely gorgeous GXPs, C5 'Vettes (I know, I know), I think I've settled on just fixing the few remaining issues with the current car.

At the very least, it's a known quantity. Spending several thousand dollars to replace a toy with a slightly-better (maybe) version of said toy isn't the most responsible thing to do, though it would be fun.

So, instead: off it'll go to the body shop after Nationals to fix a few paint issues, the windshield surround (still trashed from the hail storm) and the bumper. Taking it to a guy on Monday to get the AC fixed since my efforts have proved futile. Then, there's a bad O2 sensor and some interior cleanup.

With all of that fixed, the car should be in tip-top shape. Might grab an RPM roll bar while I'm at it so I can finally get back into HPDEs, which was really the point of this thing when I bought it in 2014.

Sigh. Being a quasi-responsible adult isn't always fun.

Also, I went and drove a GXP at a dealer down the street, and my car is faster. The turbo lag is annoying, but not the sort of annoying that's worth $10k. And, this one is paid for. In it's current state, I doubt I'd be able to sell it for much.

Last edited by raygun; 06-08-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode