Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

New GM/Mercury Motor for Transplants

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  stevebot39 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
The new ZR1 engine is the LT5 producing 755 BHP and 750 Torque, with an improve supercharger.

#5 ·
Hello,

For those wanting "something different" in their Kappa, an original LT5 ZR1 engine would definitely fit the bill, though it would be expensive. Several years ago I saw an LT5 new in the crate for sale. Asking price was $16,000. It had the intake, etc. on it which made it easy to recognize but I don't know what else was there. They made about 400HP depending on year, which isn't as big of a number as some LS engines, but it revs high and makes fun sounds doing it.

That new SB4 in the OP's link is a beast. 750HP NA. Who knows what it would do with boost.

#6 · (Edited)
Base price is $30,000 + the cost of accessories. I'm seeing this marketed for professional race teams or wealthy individuals like Jay Leno. Of corse at wholesale prices in exchange for featuring the product on Jay Leno Garage.

If I won the lottery, this is the motor I'd consider. Fort 350GT Flat Plane Voodoo Engine.

Or a Butler Performance High Performance Genuine Pontiac Engine. Note: Pontiac ceased building Pontiac engines in1981 and had to start using GM corporate engines.
https://butlerperformance.com/c-126...ngine-kits-butler-crate-engines-complete.html

#9 ·
#7 ·
If I heard the rumor mill correctly this Marine engine is a cast iron block also.

#8 ·
It uses the LS7 block which is aluminum alloy. They take the LS7 and add a 4 cam set of heads. Breathing capability should be impressive and a blower would make it more so. Even NA it has 100 bhp more than the Z06.

The engine’s specialness, though, is evident in motion. At 6,000 rpm, the Corvette is ready to upshift but the SB4 is just getting started on a manic surge toward its 8,000-rpm redline. You’ve got to will yourself to hang in there for the last couple thousand rpm, as your ears tell you to shift but your eyes on the tach tell you you’re not there yet.

What's It Like Testing Mercury Racing's 750-HP Small Block Crate Motor in an Ultima GTR? - The Drive

#10 ·
Pontiac numbered the #1 Cylinder as the left front (drivers side) until the end of V8 production in 1981.

#11 ·
And # 1 rod sits first on the crank, so the left bank sits a half-cylinder width ahead of the right, whereas all other V8s are the opposite to my knowledge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.