Shifting Problems - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Shifting Problems

I just purchased a 2016 Slingshot (Pontiac Solstice drivetrain) with 4200 miles on it. I have only driven the vehicle about 20-30 miles and now I am having trouble with it shifting into 1st gear and also reverse, very very hard to get into reverse. I have the pedal pushed all the way to the floor and cannot get into 1st or reverse without extreme difficulty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:23 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
will it go into those gears eazely when the engine is not running? if so it's probably in the clutch system.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:22 AM

Location: Phoenix Arizona where there are about 250 days a year for convertible Bebop-ing
OK prez, I'll take a stab at it. It is a hydraulic clutch. I had MG's with hydraulic clutches. So if it is installed on a different vehicle it might fix your problem to simply "Bleed" the system and fill it with fresh hydraulic fluid to get the air out. Plus usually a hydraulic system is actuated soething like a brakes master cylinder with a shaft tha comppresses the fluid. You know what I mean. If there is an adjustment on the shaft move it about 1/4 inch. dont try to sneak up on it a few turns at a time you'll be there all day. I am not an expert on Solstices!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:50 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Talk with Dave at DDMWorks. they specialize in the slingshot and have a lot of experience with them

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcffprez View Post
I just purchased a 2016 Slingshot (Pontiac Solstice drivetrain) with 4200 miles on it. I have only driven the vehicle about 20-30 miles and now I am having trouble with it shifting into 1st gear and also reverse, very very hard to get into reverse. I have the pedal pushed all the way to the floor and cannot get into 1st or reverse without extreme difficulty.
Reverse is frequently an issue with the Aisin transmissions. I sometimes have to shift into third, then neutral, clutch out then in, and then go to reverse. Sometimes multiple tries. No problems with first, though.

If all of the other gears are working the clutch is probably OK. There isn't anything I can think of that would make a difference there. When my master cylinder was failing all of the gears were equally difficult to engage from stopped.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Update! Found that the small reservoir was low on fluid and after filing up heard a slight vacuum sound coming from the underside of the reservoir when disengaging clutch pedal. going to replace the hose first and see if that fixes problem also check the neck on the bottom of the reservoir to see if cracked or broken. but that seems to be the leakage problem. There appeared to be a slight bit of moisture around the master where the clutch rod inserts into it. The local shop said with infrequent use of the machine (4200 miles in 3 years) that the seals could have dried slightly and could rework themselves back into seating fine with more frequent use
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:56 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Hopefully you have found the issue and have it on the road to recovery

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:25 AM

Glad you found what appears to be a simple solution.
I hope that your seals re-seat, especially the slave cylinder.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode