V6 Engine swap - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

V6 Engine swap

Lately I have been contemplating an engine swap on the 07 GXP due to some rough engine issues and the engine seeming like its nearing its end. After digging around the internet and GM's wiki I noticed that the 09 G8's had a 3.6l LY7 V6 engine that bolts up to the 5L40-E Automatic transmission, And wouldn't you know that's the same one in the solstice. Long story short with the weights checked the only thing I would need to figure out is the engine mounts however I would love some insight from everyone here on the forums if you think the swap would even be worth it.

2007 Solstice GXP
Trifecta Tuned
Custom Welded 3 inch Exhaust
SOLO Performance 3 inch Catless DP
K04R Turbo upgrade

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 07:00 AM

Why would you go to all that effort for no increase in performance?

I think this would be a much more interesting swap: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/05/...-engine-specs/
ExtraSour likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 08-04-2018 at 07:03 AM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 07:35 AM

If it fits you must equip...

John,

Once I hit the electric water pump in the specs it got even more interesting. Such a novel approach. Will be interesting to see if it would fit in the Solstice and mate to a manual transmission. I'm not up on all th engines anymore, but is this the one to be offered, or is an option in the Camaro presently? When first reading about that, it seemed an interesting choice for the Solstice, rather than a V8. Good power to weight ratio and could propel our cars into the future as speedily, providing we can get things line weather stripping, etc. covered.

Richard Snipes
raygun and ExtraSour like this.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Why would you go to all that effort for no increase in performance?

I think this would be a much more interesting swap: GM Releases 2019 Silverado Turbo 2.7L Four-Cylinder Engine Specs | GM Authority
I only came up with the idea because I saw one of the engines sitting in a G8 in the junkyard, It would be way less effort then any other swap considering it used the exact same trans, and the weight difference of the engine would effect the suspension little to none.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:04 AM

Garage
I think you're just going to reduce the value of the car. I don't know what the future will bring but I suspect the turbo models are going to get up there in price and the closer to stock the better.
Randy120 likes this.

Agressive, LSR, Anti-Lock, 18" polished, Leather, Monsoon Premium, 6CD,Power, wheel locks, Pref Equip, and Security etchin
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:19 AM

I've never read a post on any of the Kappa forums for a V6 (other than a couple 2JZ swaps, so you'd be going it alone. Then there's the whole issue of figuring out how to get a different engine to work with the ECM and BCM or going with a stand alone unit.

The problem with engine swaps is the people that do them don't document how's it's done, so unless you are a gearhead or have very good friend that is a gearhead you may be looking at years to get your car back on the road. Sorry to say, but you'd be best served by buying a replacement engine.
Randy120 likes this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 08-10-2018 at 09:00 AM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Garage
Really no difference between the turbo 4 and V6 in terms of performance potential and as pointed out, you'd depreciate the car by doing an oddball swap, so why bother?

How many miles on your engine and why do you think it is nearing the end?
Randy120 and ExtraSour like this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 12:44 PM

i say why not....your car, do as you would.... a twin turbo V6 would be a blast
raygun and ExtraSour like this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:16 PM

I thought others had tried this and found that the engine was too tall so they had to cut a hole in the hood? Search around on the board about this.....
ExtraSour likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Really no difference between the turbo 4 and V6 in terms of performance potential and as pointed out, you'd depreciate the car by doing an oddball swap, so why bother?

How many miles on your engine and why do you think it is nearing the end?
Hit 101k last week. It bogs a bit on light acceleration (already worked out with trifecta that it isn't the tune.) Smokes on warm startups and when coming to stoplights intermittently. Replaced the valve seals thinking they were bad but it didnt help, car still smokes. Replaced the turbo thinking it was the turbo seals.. Still smokes. Replaced the PCV valve inside the intake manifold, still smokes. tried running a catch can thinking the ventilation from the valve cover case was blowing out some oil, still smokes. Its definitely oil smoke too, the smell and color is very distinct of burnt oil. Between the above issues and random loss of power on acceleration something tells me the engine is not going to last much longer.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 03:06 PM

Garage
I thought a V6 is just what Pontiac should have developed the Solstice into if it had continued operation.
ExtraSour likes this.

Chris

"Sunny" - '08 Brazen Orange 2.4 Auto... 7660 feet up in the mountains
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:57 PM

IF you really want to go the route of the V6, go with either a supercharged 3800 (you should be able to get 400+hp) -or- go oddball out and do a 3.5L eccoboost from Ford. You can get almost 700hp out of it if it's tuned correctly!!! I just saw an MKS that was dyno'd at 685hp with little to no mods... And torque was up there too...around 600 IMSMC. THAT would be a MONSTER!!!

I was working on a Fiero project with my ex-father-in-law. We had the body and he had a supercharged 3800....he promised he could get it to over 400hp so I could drag race with him. Needless to say, the project was never finished. That's a whole other story about why he's my ex-father-in-law.
raygun likes this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 PM

I say if that's what you want to do and you have the skills go for it. I once put a Buick 3.8 in an 84 Camaro just because I bought a Camaro with a dead 2.8 and happened to have the 3.8 that was in another car that had electrical problems. Of course that was a simpler swap because all I really needed was some time and a welder. Your swap could be challenging because of the electronics involved. Research what's involved in a modern swap and if you give it a try good luck. You will kill any value the car has but if you can do it cheaply enough and that's what you want, why not do it?
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4501 Safari View Post
John,

Once I hit the electric water pump in the specs it got even more interesting. Such a novel approach. Will be interesting to see if it would fit in the Solstice and mate to a manual transmission. I'm not up on all th engines anymore, but is this the one to be offered, or is an option in the Camaro presently? When first reading about that, it seemed an interesting choice for the Solstice, rather than a V8. Good power to weight ratio and could propel our cars into the future as speedily, providing we can get things line weather stripping, etc. covered.

Richard Snipes
Somewhere in the article it states that the engine is truck-exclusive, so probably not a Camaro option, although I don't know why they would decide that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraSour View Post
I only came up with the idea because I saw one of the engines sitting in a G8 in the junkyard, It would be way less effort then any other swap considering it used the exact same trans, and the weight difference of the engine would effect the suspension little to none.
Unless you are intrigued by the novelty of doing it, and that is actually an acceptable (if not practical) reason in my mind, I think you would be far better off to simply invest in a new or NOS LNF, or totally rebuild the one you have.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 09:06 AM

the 3800/3.8 liter is old tech.... as in super old tech block originally designed in the late 60's and revised in 76 for even firing. oiling system sucks as it is the same as they ran in the 60's. I ran a 330hp Buick V6 (naturally aspirated) in my Opel GT. 400 RWHP from a 3800 supercharged motor is easy. however the motor is still extremely old tech

since the LNF can trace its roots back to Opel as well as the Northstar, Short star and 3.6 liter in todays GM vehicles, I would stick with modern motors. a twin turbo 3.6 or its earlier 3.2 brethren would be a great motor

Plenty of Opel Calibras with twin turbo 3.2's putting out over 500hp and beaten daily

the V6 would be no different than swapping in an LS in these cars. its just bolts, imagination and determination with a little bit of fab work thrown in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode