V8 Installation.., '08 GXP - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Trying to avoid it Lt1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 09:38 PM

I had custom mounts made that were .300" shorter but they're mostly aluminum with a disc of polyurethane. I expect some dampening but not a whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartz View Post
Trying to avoid it Lt1
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

On a test fit, the belly of my engine is only 3/8 of an inch above the rear cross member. Are you using the stock motor mounts that are taller? My son has a car with reduced suspension travel (lowered) and urethane motor mounts. I have to wear a kidney belt when I ride with him.
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 06:59 AM

I'm using the C6 brackets, shorter C6 engine mounts, and stock mounting pads. The oil pan is about 1/4" from the rear crossmember at the closest point.

Quote:
On a test fit, the belly of my engine is only 3/8 of an inch above the rear cross member. Are you using the stock motor mounts that are taller? My son has a car with reduced suspension travel (lowered) and urethane motor mounts. I have to wear a kidney belt when I ride with him.
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 08:30 AM

What will you be using to control the engine? OEM LS ECU?

2007 Solstice GXP - Canyon Carver in progress.
LQ4 V8, LS6 intake, BTR Stage IV cam (235/242 .621"/.592" 111+3), LS6 intake, T56 transmission, custom cooling system, custom roll bar, MegaSquirt ECU with traction control.
*All work done in house*
- Expecting 450whp.
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

It will be an E67 GM computer and custom harness.
post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 09:21 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Nice looking mounts

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
It will be an E67 GM computer and custom harness.
This is the part I'd like to see explained and documented more because it seems to be the most intimidating part of the entire process. Especially if you want keep as much of the OEM systems and options working as possible. For examle; having air conditioning and cruise would be important to me, along with TC/ABS on a V8 car.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 12-25-2015 at 06:31 AM.
post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 05:04 AM

I will be using a MegaSquirt 3, which will take the traction control out of the OEM equipment's hands (fully tuneable, because the OEM TC is a bit too stingy). The ABS will work with a few added wires (power, ground, and brake light output). Cruise control, kinda sucks that I will essentially forfeit that, but I can likely hook up an aftermarket box down the line and integrate the steering wheel controls to it. ESC is the only thing I will lose completely, but that's no biggie to me, honestly. I drove around with it off the majority of the time anyway (unless it was rainy, and I don't drive in the rain intentionally).

Looking good JMartz! I am keeping a close eye on this build as I will be undergoing mine soon, though I will be taking a slightly less OEM approach.
RobertAshby likes this.

LQ4 V8, LS6 intake, BTR Stage IV cam (235/242 .621"/.592" 111+3), LS6 intake, T56 transmission, custom cooling system, custom roll bar, MegaSquirt ECU with traction control.
*All work done in house*
- Expecting 450whp.
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

mkriebs

I'd like to mention a mistake a I made so you can avoid it. I trusted the trans mount I got, cutting the tunnel bracketry as needed to fit the bell housing. When I mounted the motor, I realized the exhaust would not fit, and the isolators were hanging off the back of the motor mounts. i had to modify the tans mount and move its attachment points 7/8 of an inch forward. Have the motor and trans attached and the exhaust installed before you finalize mount locaions.

The tunnel bracket has flanges used by GM for spot welding its sandwich shape. They only need to be cut and the exposed joint rewelded. This does not weaken he structure. The flange is there for the robots to have access to. The engine can indeed fit the 7/8 inch more backwards than I placed it (and would be better for overall balance) but I would have needed to fabricate my own exhaust and motor mounts.

I got those commercially as I am trying to reduce fabrication to a minimum. When you are about to begin, contact me for a discussion. Do keep in mind aftemarket parts NEVER fit w/o some modification. This car is especially problematic as a swap subject, since tolerances are close all over. No surprise putting a V8 into an L4 space.

Last edited by JMartz; 12-31-2015 at 07:22 AM.
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 08:24 AM

Thank you for the tips! I am going to utilize the OEM trans for the time being, just to save some cost. I can't quite swing the cost of the TR6060, but when the time comes, that will be my choice. But, this also simplifies the swap.

I own all of the fabrication equipment that I need to fully fabricate almost everything I would need to use, so thankfully, the engine mounts will be a non issue. The trans mount, for the time being, will be a stock trans mount from the early cars that do not have the torque arm set up.

For the rear end, I plan on utilizing a brace that will be coming to market soon (more on that hopefully before summer). If that doesn't come to fruition, I will use a Ford 8.8 IRS with a custom fabricated bracket, its a pretty easy swap.

The engine I am using is the iron block 6 liter (much to the dismay of many people), I wish I could use the LS7, in near stock form the LS7 is kicka$$.

Your build is awesome and I am glad I can follow along with you!

*All work done in house*
- Expecting 450whp.
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 03:38 PM

What accessories are you planning to use?

*All work done in house*
- Expecting 450whp.
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

I got them from Pace. Kit comes complete with all brackets, fasteners and belt. The PS oil pump sits high on the drivers's side. The generator under it. The a/c bracket is from a 2000 Corvette. This mounts a compressor with the refrigerant connections in the back. The PS rack needs the left side oil inlet rotated 90 degrees, to clear the engine pulley and a 1/2 inch of clearance on the right side cross member vertical reinforcement bracket, must be provided, to clear the compressor against the frame.
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 07:57 PM

Awesome, same essential set up I am looking at, however I have no experience with A/C and lines and all that stuff, so I will forego A/C for the time being just to get the car on the road in a more timely fashion. The Pace stuff seems so expensive!!!

*All work done in house*
- Expecting 450whp.
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

With spring upon us, we have resumed work on the project. A little bit of material needs to come off the vertical re-enforcement of the passenger side of the front cross member, in order to allow room for the a/c compressor. It fits with nearly zero clearance. We are using OEM rubber mounts and some side-to-side movement is expected. About 3/8 of an inch of clearance in the form of a circle will need to be provided. The engine is shown with its accessories except the PS pump. That cannot be mounted because one its mounting holes is being used to support the engine with a chain. GM is a cheap company. They do not plate or paint quite a few anything. Rust builds up on these. The clutch plate is a mess. Look at the water pump shaft and engine pulley/vib-damp.

The bottom picture (the fuzzy one) shows where the sump drain of the Ls7 rests over the rear cross member. This is not to be confused with the dry sump reservoir drain that points forward and does not interfere with anything. Later this week we will attach the transmission and place it on its tunnel mount, in order ascertain the engine's true angle and final location. I marked a 1.25 inch diameter hole to clear any possible interference, but it may not be at all necessary. The motor is wedged up with a 10mm piece of plywood and the drain bung is not touching. Having the transmission will determine course of action.

Last edited by JMartz; 03-28-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode