V8 Installation.., '08 GXP - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 04:01 PM

I took that hump out completely, actually.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Looks great and smooth. Great idea! You are keeping the OEM mounts?
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:10 PM

No, I'm using a polyurethane mount, but I'm retaining the ability to go back to a stock mount if the poly is to rough.

post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

There is a bit of confusion regarding the term "motor mount". 3 different things are commonly referred to as "motor mount"; the is the location on the frame (or cross member), the isolator and the motor bracket. You are using the OEM frame mount structures that span the two cross members and mounting the motor with custom fabricated brackets(?) and urethane vibration isolators. Since the OEM frame mounts are offset from side to side, I wonder how you dealt with that.

Last edited by JMartz; 03-30-2016 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typo
post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 05:54 AM

I consider the whole system as the mount, regardless... I simply made one bracket longer to address the difference in height.

I put the engine in the bay, used wood on the cross member to get the height and left to right angle correct, then shimmed to get the fore and aft angle correct. Assured the engine was centered between the frame rails, then measured for the brackets and let her rip. Was a really simple process actually. This was one I was kinda worried about tackling, but it turned out perfectly.
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:19 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Nicely done.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:40 AM

Sorry JMartz, I don't mean to take over your thread. I think the stock isolators will provide a nice ride for your car, though I do see the issue with the clearance of the exhaust manifold. I know Werks uses the stock isolators in many if not all of their builds, so I wonder if there would be much issue...

2007 Solstice GXP - Canyon Carver in progress.
LQ4 V8, LS6 intake, BTR Stage IV cam (235/242 .621"/.592" 111+3), LS6 intake, T56 transmission, custom cooling system, custom roll bar, MegaSquirt ECU with traction control.
*All work done in house*
- Expecting 450whp.
post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Mkriebs.., please feel free to write to your heart's content on my post. I am using the Werks exhausts headers. The fit with the motor in the correct location. By this I mean, that the motor (and I would have preferred that) could go 3/4 of an inch more rearward, if it were not for these headers. The passenger side is too close to the frame, only 1/8 inch. I am going to have to dimple it or modify the tube. There is plenty or room for that. The driver's side has much tighter turns due to the steering rod. Werks did not provide a bung for the O2 sensor on the driver's side header, citing "no room". I purchased one and found a suitable location for it. Finally the flanges are too large and contacted the water (coolant) temperature sensor. I had to grind off a 1/2 moon to clear it. This is on the driver's side. Since GM uses the same head on both sides, and their robots are not told only one sensor is needed, the threaded hole on the passenger side cylinder head has a plug. This is smaller than the sensor so less grinding is required. Finally, I wasted the $100 I paid for ceramic coating, as it has to be redone after all the modifications.

Last edited by JMartz; 03-31-2016 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Typos
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:40 AM

That's really unfortunate. Do you know the diameter of the tubes? I'm going to be doing 1.75" primaries, I'm afraid I'm going to run into similar issues, but of course, I think spending more time and details on them will provide better results.
post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Well.., going with the tried-and-true philosophy of acceptance, that no aftermarket part is truly "bolt-on", but rather "easily adaptable", it would have been far more difficult for me to have commissioned a scratch build. The primary tubes on this header are 1 and 7/8. These are not ideal for motors under 450 cubic inches, at least that is what a read in a header discussion at the Ls Tech website. Since I am using an Ls7 crate motor with "D" ports, not wanting fabricate custom exhausts, I opted for the Werks. Of the 505 crank HP this motor is rated at with the Corvette intake and exhaust, I expect to loose 50+ HP from less-than-ideal parts. A "D" shaped port flowing into a round hole will likely cause some undesired turbulence.
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 10:31 AM

Wow, yeah those are large! But, theyre intended for more of a universal fit, I guess. As for the D Shape head into round tubing, I think you would be surprised that there won't be much turbulence and not as much loss of power from them as one would expect. It's pretty normal actually to use round tube headers on the D port heads, at least from what I had researched. Not optimal, but not terribly hindering.

LQ4 V8, LS6 intake, BTR Stage IV cam (235/242 .621"/.592" 111+3), LS6 intake, T56 transmission, custom cooling system, custom roll bar, MegaSquirt ECU with traction control.
*All work done in house*
- Expecting 450whp.
post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Clearance for the a/c compressor and its refrigerant line to the condenser. We sliced the bracket, took 3/8 of an inch of thickness and replaced it inverted. Needs to be painted.

Last edited by JMartz; 04-07-2016 at 07:31 AM.
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 08:49 AM

Hmm, that's a really cool way of doing it.

*All work done in house*
- Expecting 450whp.
post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

After some problems due to my unfamiliarity with Chevy parts (I have been a Ford and Honda guy), I managed to fit the transmission to the engine and adjust the hydrauilc TOB to .156 (the closest I could get it with the supplied washers). RAM requires .150 of clearance between the plate's diaphragm spring "fingers" and the face of the bearing. They indicated to me, that for every .001 inch of disc surface wear, the fingers move .004 inch. The Fidanza aluminum flywheel I installed to kill some of the engine torque (to reduce wheel spin on start up) is painted (which will wear off), and with the initial disc surface slough-off (break-in), the .156 will be reduced somewhat right away. The disk has about .250 of friction material on each side, or .125 per side. The clutch will still operate, after a loss of .039 (.039 x 4 = .156) inches of thickness. By then, the rivets are likely close to exposure and replacement is due. Not sure I like forkless clutches. Having the "slave" cylinder hidden and trapped in the the bell housing seems counterproductive, not mention the fact adjustments are impossible.

Regarding this issue, it is important to note, that in the Kappa, the motor/trans package fits so tightly, that the transmission cannot be easily removed. Some of the bell housing to block bolts are inaccessible. I need to investigate trans removal via the trans to bell housing mating surface, if the top bolts are reachable. Tilting the motor is not likely possible because it is way too close to the firewall.

Last edited by JMartz; 04-08-2016 at 06:53 AM. Reason: typos
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:07 AM

There are ways to make a clutch master cylinder adjustable. It would take some figuring out, but you need an adjustable master cylinder rod. Not sure if the stock Kappa one can be modified, but I know the T56 ones can be. I think Werks offers one, not sure if it is just for the T56 or if it is for the Kappa regardless of transmission.

Heres the link to it:
http://www.performanceautowerks.com/...75ir10tboj2ul7

I am sure it's not rocket science, so I am sure you could modify one yourself with some parts from McMaster Carr for about 1/3 the Werks price.

*All work done in house*
- Expecting 450whp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode