V8 Installation.., '08 GXP - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

I tested this clutch already. The Soltice's CMC is able to displace enough fluid to to move the RAM brand TOB's face .400 inch. That leaves me a mere .250 of actual push on the clutch diaphragm fingers. If this is not enough, there is a fix, whereby the CMC is spaced forward some (.250 to .350) and the rod on the pedal move to a location of more travel. This fix, while a little tedious is known to work. Thanks for the link. $300 is a good quick fix and no welding or getting in the car, working up side down.

Last edited by JMartz; 04-08-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Motor/Trans pkg. ready to go in. Subtle engine bay mods are visible. Motor mounts, right side front cross member bracket reduction, hole in rear cross member and "C" shaped clearance cuts on tunnel brace. Not really happy about the aftermarket hydraulic TOB. OEM units have hard lines to the outside. No chance of contact with spinning clutch. Flex line designs are potentially dangerous, internal connections could leak and there is no way to access them. This installation is tight and it may not be possible to remove the transmission w/o the engine.

post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

The motor is in for a test fit. The extended and articulated shifter mechanism made by Sikky uses a GTO (2004-6) ball cup. The one in my transmission is from a Camaro (1993-2002). This ball cup is further forward and does not allow shifting into 2nd, 4th and 6th, because it moves the shift rod back to the end of its articulation travel. The pictures show the good clearance the a/c compressor now has and the hole on the rear cross member to allow extra room for the drain plug casting boss when the soft engine mounts allow the motor its movement.
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Last edited by JMartz; 04-27-2016 at 02:12 PM.
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:44 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Looking very clean. Nice work

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rob. It is nice working with new parts.
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

E67 computer replaces OEM 4/6 Cyl E69 Bosch ECM. Mounted it to the plastic bracket using nylon screws. The E67 has the car's VIN burned into it, so that when being emission tested the correct ID shows up on the testing equipment. Here in GA, if that number cannot be verified against the label on the windshield, trouble would ensue. The E67 ECM was OEM in the Cadillact CTS-v. A custom Ls7 to E67 engine harness is being built.

post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Power Steering Rack and Oil Bottle

The left side oil bung of the steering rack, interferes with the crankshaft pulley of the Ls engine. To clear this interference, the bung was cut off and rotated 90 degrees. To prevent metal shavings from entering the cylinder of the rack, air pressure was applied to the cavity through the hole left after cutting off the bung. A clever idea of my friend Dennis. Pictures are not great. My camera would not focus well today for some reason. If you look closely, the welded hole at the old bung location can be seen on the 1st pic. The hard line for the relocated bung has yet to be coerced into its new location. Just got some tube bending and flaring tools yesterday.

The oil bottle shown does not fit. I accidentally ordered one that has the debubbler, the funnel shaped side piece. This design was used in later model dry sump engines. I have already gotten the right ones and will post pics later. The correct bottle is identical save for the side mounted debubbler. The battery tray will be removed tomorrow to make room for the bottle. A pair of smaller Braille batteries will go in the trunk.

New bottle temporarily installed after battery tray was removed. A little trimming on the top, on the fuse/relay box bracket will be needed for its final fitting. All the load is on the bottom two brackets. Top mount will only be for light side to side affixing.

Last edited by JMartz; 06-14-2016 at 07:30 AM.
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

I will be posting some new pictures coming up soon.
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a top view of the oil tank showing its PCV lines. Those were OEM 2011 Z06. One side needed modification. The orientation of the hard PCV lines had to be adjusted to aim the plastic PCV lines correctly. Easy job with an adjustable wrench. They rotated easily. The lower end of the tank had to be notched to allow mounting in a lower position and still clear the underbody curve of the side panel. The tank was attached to the frame with two "rivnuts" of appropriate size. Had to get the special tool to flare. Mounting height was an issue, as the hood latch had to clear the top of the tank. The frame or support structure of the side panel, and the panel as well, needed a bit of notching. One aluminum bracket supports the top's side forces. It was made from a 1/8" thick, 1.5 x 1.5, angle; with a hacksaw, files, press and drill. Got some OEM touch up paint to cover my panel cut, which I did with tin snips. The frame I rattle canned.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The OEM fittings on motor and bottle sides have been converted to AN12. The bottle adapters are evident in picture. Getting the lines to fit will be a challenge. For one the front support bracket is rather close. The tires turns a good bit and I have yet to look with the inner fender installed.

Last edited by JMartz; 08-23-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: adding pictures
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a view of the underside, where the fuel and vapor lines make their way up towards the engine. The OEM route was through the tunnel area and had to be cut off. A GM style fuel connector was formed using a special tool. The fuel line was made out of nylon braid and aluminum fittings. The vapor line was all plastic.

[IMG][/IMG]

This view shows the terminus of the fuel at the motor's fuel rain and the accompanying vapor line. I reused the turbo check valve but mostly as an elbow. The vapor line continues to a solenoid actuated valve controlled by the computer, which is sucked from the plastic intake manifold. There is no dealing with plastic fuel or breather line w/o the special tool to insert.

[IMG][/IMG]

The clutch line can be seen going up in the same area. Still need to do something about the dangling bleeder. Hose held with wire ties is chafing protection.

Last edited by JMartz; 08-23-2017 at 02:53 PM.
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

These next series show the AN-12 nylon braided hoses from the oil reservoir to the engine. The return was looped high to allow fittings on tank to be one up and one down. This was necessary as there was insufficient room due to the steel structure that supports the side panel. The feed line (the lower one) has a 90 degree male/female AN-12, followed by a 120 degree AN-12 to hose. The return line has a 90 degree AN-12 to hose. Given the proximity to the exhaust, the first 8 inches were insulated.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by JMartz; 09-28-2017 at 02:32 PM.
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 06:29 AM

Garage
Thanks for the update, it looks like it is coming along nicely! You make me feel lazy as I am tossing around a 6 speed conversion on my LS2 car (I did not install the LS2) I think I will be purchasing Werks T-56 trans cross member to make the conversion easier. Rereading this tread reminded me of Werks so thanks again.

Certified Pontaholic & Former Jet Mech

1969 Firebird Sprint 301 OHC-6, T-5
1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 455
1973 Lemans Safari 400 4-speed
1977 Astre Formula 215 V-8 T-5
1978 Sunbird Safari 231 V-6 2004R
1978 Catalina Safari Soon to have a Pontiac 400 4bb
2006 Mallet Solstice LS2 6-speed Manual
2009 G8 GT
post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Please post pictures when you get going. Is the Ls2 in your car mated to the stock transmission?
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:03 AM

Garage
Currently Yes, the AR-5 is having Syncro issues after 24,000 miles. I will be sure to start a new thread with Pictures.

Certified Pontaholic & Former Jet Mech

1969 Firebird Sprint 301 OHC-6, T-5
1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 455
1973 Lemans Safari 400 4-speed
1977 Astre Formula 215 V-8 T-5
1978 Sunbird Safari 231 V-6 2004R
1978 Catalina Safari Soon to have a Pontiac 400 4bb
2006 Mallet Solstice LS2 6-speed Manual
2009 G8 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode