V8 Installation.., '08 GXP - Page 5 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Positioning the shift column in the correct location may require a Sikky articulated shifter and altering of the motor mounts and muffler to move the engine back or forth. So replacing the stock 5-speed for a Tremec T56 will not be a bolt-on affair. You will also need a driveshaft modification, trans mount and hydraulic TOB. There is also the issue of the speed sensor reluctor and reverse lockout that you will have to wire into the computer.

Severe complications arise when modifying.

Last edited by JMartz; 09-30-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

This is a view of the starter and its 0 gauge cable. Don't really like the fatness of this cable but it is what the manufacturer insisted on when the cable needs to be 10 feet long to reach the battery. As it can be seen, this is one area of no recourse. The exhaust system will be lower than OEM. Being that the car had a single exhaust, only one side of the pan is indented to house the tube. Have yet to decide whether to fit the cable between the trans and tunnel or allow it to be closer to the hot exhaust tube. There is little extra room for stuff in the 4-cyl Kappa platform. Since I am using OEM motor mounts, the motor will move and placing the cable between the trans and tunnel may cause chafing and .., a fire ... possibly or melting a hole somewhere.

Last edited by JMartz; 11-29-2017 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Inserting text
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

[IMG][/IMG]
post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:59 PM

We are nearing the completion of this project. It will have been 3 years by the time we finish phase 1. This is the engine and drive train installation and associated wiring and exhaust. Phase 2 will be wheels, brakes and navigation with rear view camera and some interior appointments.

Our subject is a red 2007 EXP with chrome wheels. As such it has a PWM fan. Variable speed, commanded by the ECM in response to temperature and perhaps something else. Super simple circuit. 3 wires: +, - and control. The story to follow is nothing I enjoyed.

The OEM fan was mounted upside down for fitment reasons. The connection plug was now in the opposite side of the car and I needed to relocate the plug to make the fan work. I cut the wires, extended them, reconnect the fan and following; began to test for power and function. Could not find power at the + wire. Went to the manual and looked up the wiring circuit to the fan. Circuit consisted in a single 60 amp fuse. Labeled #1 in the fuse box and the largest capacity fuse in the whole car. Can't get easier than that.

I followed the voltage through the fuse and the box architecture. Found the wire at the connector to the fuse box; but to my surprise it did not go to the fan. WHaaat? FSM says so! After performing serious surgery to the harness, I discovered an additional and identical, red with black line wire. It was easy to follow it right to the ABS module. The 60 amp circuit is feeding the ABS unit, which BTW, is supposed to be fed power from 3 circuits, largest being 40 amp.

Guess saying "go figure" is in order.

The fan was connected to power w/o a fuse, from the factory to us. Seems like an improperly made it to the production line with a fix. But with some curiosity, the manual and a lot of time, the details were elucidated. The car had just under 10,000 miles and these was no evidence of attempts at customization or repairs. I will be posting pictures soon.
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:55 AM

Photobucket is now a pay only image hosting website. Water marks in all pictures in this post is their doing. Looking into an alternative to upload the final set of pictures.

This is the OEM shifter attached to the T56. In the future; a suitable column that accepts a 6 speed ball could be installed. For now; the OEM look prevails.

On the "fender liner" rests the protective circuity of the stand alone wire harness. This was a three part carrier that housed the dual fan circuit (now removed; the car has a PWM fan system), power relay for the coils and injectors and and a few other things now going through the OEM fuse box. This has to be minimized as there is no room to place it in. The loose wires remaining seen to the left are, among other things, the 6 wires operating the evap system and a pesky ground of the OEM starter relay coil, the ECU wants to control. w/o this wire the starter will not move when turning the key.

And a few other things still remain...
rob the elder likes this.

Last edited by Morningside; 07-24-2019 at 09:22 AM.
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
Photobucket is now a pay only image hosting website. Water marks in all pictures in this post is their doing. Looking into an alternative to upload the final set of pictures.
After Photosuckit changed I switch over to Imgur, so far so good.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:26 PM

Thanks Chop Top. Using Imgur now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode