Flame Wars - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Flame Wars

It suddenly dawned on me we haven't had a flame war or troll infestation in what seems like a full year or more. I think that is great. We should celebrate.

The moderators here do a wonderful job. Y'all are underpaid.

2008 Solstice GXP Roadster
I've been humped

Kappasphere AX wheels
DDMWorks extreme backbone
GMPP Stage 2
Splash Guards
Black bezel headlamps

23,777 fun miles

You don't need a trunk to haul ass...

Official car of SCCA Touring 2 Champion Don Knowles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:21 AM

I agree 100%. I vote for doubling their pay.

VIN # 2980 Delivered 12/30/2005 "Desperado" is Cool, Sand & Steel, Premium, Power, Convenience, a/c, LSD, Antilock, 6 disk/MP3,Monsoon, Polished Wheels. KappaSphere CAI, KappaShield, Little Cromies and All Weather Floor Mats, GM Splash Guards, Dual Horns, Painted Engine Cover and Painted Calipers and Rotors, 50 GENK-30 Rear View Mirror.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Thanks Jimbo but its more the membership here that moderates itself - Thanks to all of you who help keep things 'on the straight and narrow'.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:33 AM

I like trolls and haters.

Difference in opinion makes for interesting discussion.

If you want to call them flame wars.....???

I had a thread or two locked here. It was apparent to me that the moderators were jumping the gun without reading the subject matter. At that point, I was put off.

It's seems to me that some great posters have moved on. I believe it's because the moderators have been slightly too aggressive in some cases and subject matters. I respect the line drawn, but suggest that things will dry up around here.

Last edited by Craig Lewis; 01-13-2010 at 06:34 AM. Reason: changed one word because of repetition
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post

I had a thread or two locked here. It was apparent to me that the moderators were jumping the gun without reading the subject matter. At that point, I was put off.

It's seems to me that some great posters have moved on. I believe it's because the moderators have been slightly too aggressive in some cases and subject matters. I respect the line drawn, but suggest that things will dry up around here.
Agreed, I love this site but it seems like it is a bit too heavly moderated.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 11:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to spiky3480
Honestly, I think the site is moderated very well. Being a moderator on another forum myself, I can tell you that it is very hard and time consuming to patrol everything that's written and posted. They do a fantastic job here and there is a reason we have not had issues here in a long time! Kudos!!

SOLO Performance
[email protected]
516-655-9002

2007 Mysterious GXP

Supporting Member of Solstice Forum

Exhaust Sound Clips
Camaro and G8 Solo Exhaust Sound Clips
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post

I like dissent, but not baiters and jerks. We can debate a valid topic until the cows come home. There is a difference between a spirited discussion on oil or tires, and someone who comes here and says the Solstice is ugly and then starts baiting people, they give him the attention he seecks and helps him in his quest to disrupt the normal activity of the board. He does this in thread after thread until he is banned.

Sorry, I don't miss those days.

I've been humped

Kappasphere AX wheels
GMPP Stage 2
Splash Guards
Black bezel headlamps

23,777 fun miles

Last edited by jimbo; 01-13-2010 at 12:41 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_L View Post
Agreed, I love this site but it seems like it is a bit too heavly moderated.
On the Miata forum, if you want to talk about say car movies, that may not be "car talk" enough for the mods and they close the thread. If you want a jacket that says "Miata" on it, that may not be "car talk" enough for the thread.

Go slightly off topic and not come back on, and they close the thread. Sometimes they just close a thread out of the blue and say "it's been beat enough."

If you want to see really frequent, intrusive, sincerely lheavily moderated forum, try over there.

I call the moderating here "adequate". Not intrusive or heavy at all. At one time, they were feeling the need to correct everybody's titles to be really precise, and I felt that was going a bit too far. Some need it but not most.

But that is the only brief time I felt the moderating was a bit heavy.

Back on topic, I don't miss the flame wars or trolls at all. I think with the death of Pontiac and the Solsice, the zealous haters don't feel threatened anymore so they don't have their fragile egos hurt anymore.

I am loving the calm on the board. The board will grow. We'll see more and varied activity when the cars become heavily traded on the used car market in a few years.

I've been humped

Kappasphere AX wheels
GMPP Stage 2
Splash Guards
Black bezel headlamps

23,777 fun miles

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

The worst moderating are the boards that are a chaotic free for all with almost no moderating. Every other word is profane and everyone is arguing and insulting each other. I think those boards attract abrasive people who like to go at it with others. No thanks. That is the worst atmosphere for a website.

I've been humped

Kappasphere AX wheels
GMPP Stage 2
Splash Guards
Black bezel headlamps

23,777 fun miles

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
On the Miata forum, if you want to talk about say car movies, that may not be "car talk" enough for the mods and they close the thread. If you want a jacket that says "Miata" on it, that may not be "car talk" enough for the thread.

Go slightly off topic and not come back on, and they close the thread. Sometimes they just close a thread out of the blue and say "it's been beat enough."

If you want to see really frequent, intrusive, sincerely lheavily moderated forum, try over there.

I call the moderating here "adequate". Not intrusive or heavy at all. At one time, they were feeling the need to correct everybody's titles to be really precise, and I felt that was going a bit too far. Some need it but not most.

But that is the only brief time I felt the moderating was a bit heavy.

Back on topic, I don't miss the flame wars or trolls at all. I think with the death of Pontiac and the Solsice, the zealous haters don't feel threatened anymore so they don't have their fragile egos hurt anymore.

I am loving the calm on the board. The board will grow. We'll see more and varied activity when the cars become heavily traded on the used car market in a few years.
Believe me I see your point, I am on a southwest racing website where the mod team does nothing but join in the bashing and it starts with 1 guy saying ONE thing and BOOM 15 pages of insulting the others car (mine has been called gay SOOOO many times by guys driving Miata's and other LAME cars for example). BUT I had an avatar that got someone's panties in a bunch and it was removed, that kind of bugs me because I pay to be on here and I should be able to do so.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Founding Member

I just do not understand why are you posting this thread here?.
This is a members special section for special items that are made for the forum.
Should this not be posted on the General discussion thread?.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
I just do not understand why are you posting this thread here?.
This is a members special section for special items that are made for the forum.
Should this not be posted on the General discussion thread?.
LV, call me paranoid, but I did not want to give anybody ideas. I came here because I knew the moderators would see it here and because I wanted to remind them that it has been a nice peaceful year. If I put this on the general forum, it could almost be like I put down a gauntlet. Even if it was only in jest, I just didn't want anybody to get the bright idea.

This forum is really about improving the Solstice Forum or kicking around ideas, critiques, mild criticisms, praise, etc. I thought it was the right place to simply note for the mods and a select few how nice and peaceful the last year has been.

I hate troll/flame wars. I don't find that disruption fun at all.

I've been humped

Kappasphere AX wheels
GMPP Stage 2
Splash Guards
Black bezel headlamps

23,777 fun miles

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Founding Member

Very true, however a lot of those wars could have been avoided, if the membership would not feed the troll.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 PM

I think it helps discourage flaming to have a forum where people come for help.... If I remember someone asking for help or advice was dropping f-bombs and throwing insults, I'm just not gonna respond to their post.

What I'm saying is that I would be insulting you all if you weren't so annoyingly helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode