How to pick injectors for the LE5 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

How to pick injectors for the LE5

Have been reading up on injectors and am trying to plan out what I'll need for the build. What are the ways to tell if you need high or low impedance, the required duty-cycle, size, etc? It seems like there's a crazy variance in types and options out there.....

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to zzzybil
looking forward to this- should be good

BOOsted 2.4

42lb injectors
3" tubes front to back
10 boost
trim 50 garrett t3/t4 custom- bare bones pumpking
38mm tial wastegate / bov
custom i/c (BELL)
Werks radiator
aem wideband
gxp exhaust /magna flo - integrated dumptube
custom manifold (sh**er the skunk )
hi flo cat
HPTUNING -
(tune therapy -> randy @DDM)
JET-HOT 2000
aerologic egt kit
DDM backbone
AEM boost control
custom .08ss heatshield
SPEC 2+ UNsprung

YEAH I DID THAT !
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
Have been reading up on injectors and am trying to plan out what I'll need for the build. What are the ways to tell if you need high or low impedance, the required duty-cycle, size, etc? It seems like there's a crazy variance in types and options out there.....

Thanks in advance.
Why do you need larger injectors? What kind of build are you planning?

Dave

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]

2.4L - Stage 3 Supercharged - 305whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Rotrex Supercharged - 340whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Custom Turbo - 304whp - 93 octane
2.0L - 2871 Hybrid turbo - 371whp - 93 octane
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 PM

Garage
Too many people just don't understand injectors. They treat them like bigger carbs on old style engines, when in fact they are really like richer jets, not bigger carbs.

Unless you have evidence that the current injectors can't supply enough fuel for your engine, LEAVE THEM ALONE!

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

For now, it's just a simple bolt-on turbo upgrade with a garrett gt2871r. It'll be a mild tune for a daily driver until i start planing out more reliable power requirements (head studs, valves, etc). I know there have been some recommended injectors on this forum for similar sized turbos but I was really hoping for direction into how to plan injector sizes/timings for a more general understanding.

Thanks for your response

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Too many people just don't understand injectors. They treat them like bigger carbs on old style engines, when in fact they are really like richer jets, not bigger carbs.

Unless you have evidence that the current injectors can't supply enough fuel for your engine, LEAVE THEM ALONE!
...but the stock LE5 fuel system is inadequate for any forced injection upgrade... or so I thought.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
...but the stock LE5 fuel system is inadequate for any forced injection upgrade... or so I thought.
You failed to mention that you were going to turbo. No injector change would be needed for any non boosted mods.

Why don't you contact DDM and give them the boost pressure you will be uising and get their opinion on what injectors will be needed. They have lots of experience with this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC

Last edited by wspohn; 11-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
For now, it's just a simple bolt-on turbo upgrade with a garrett gt2871r. It'll be a mild tune for a daily driver until i start planing out more reliable power requirements (head studs, valves, etc). I know there have been some recommended injectors on this forum for similar sized turbos but I was really hoping for direction into how to plan injector sizes/timings for a more general understanding.

Thanks for your response

edit:

The rest of the fuel system is fine on the 2.4L up to and around 300whp. The stock injectors will fall short for you though. 42# injectors on that turbo setup should be able to get you around 270-280whp safely. If you are shooting for more than that go with some 60# injectors.

We have plug and play 42# injectors and 60# injectors we use with our kit if you need them, just give us a call.

Dave

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]

2.4L - Stage 3 Supercharged - 305whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Rotrex Supercharged - 340whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Custom Turbo - 304whp - 93 octane
2.0L - 2871 Hybrid turbo - 371whp - 93 octane
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
You failed to mention that you were going to turb. No injector change would be needed for any non boosted mods.

Why don't you contact DDM and give them the boost pressure you will be uising and get their opinion on what injectors will be needed. They have lots of experience with this.
aww, thought that was implied by the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The rest of the fuel system is fine on the 2.4L up to and around 300whp. The stock injectors will fall short for you though. 42# injectors on that turbo setup should be able to get you around 270-280whp safely. If you are shooting for more than that go with some 60# injectors.

We have plug and play 42# injectors and 60# injectors we use with our kit if you need them, just give us a call.

Dave
Thanks Dave, maybe the question was too simple. I'll be talking to you guys shortly.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 AM

I have a set of these:

Cobalt & Ion ---> ZZ Performance

07 Sky Hahn Boosted- 44 mpg - 40 mpg with air conditioning on.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Which is kinda why I asked the question the way I did. What do you really need to focus on when choosing an injector and how do you decide for things like duty cycle and flow rates rather than just an arbitrary xx#?

Figured it could help everyone out.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:45 AM

The best way to size injectors is to come up with an estimate for the power you are planning to produce. From there, you can estimate a value for engine efficiency and arrive at the necessary fuel flow rate. Divide the flow rate by the number of injectors and you have an estimate for the size of injector necessary. Since you don't want to operate the injector at 100% duty cycle, you need to oversize slightly to keep the maximum duty cycle down to a reasonable number (85% is typical).

There are lots of websites with this information. Here's one: RC Fuel Injection

BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption) is a measure of engine efficiency in terms of fuel consumption per unit of power. 0.5 lb/(hp*h) is common for a naturally aspirated engine. This means in order to make 1 horsepower for 1 hour, it would take 0.5 lbs of fuel. Forced induction engine are typically higher (0.55-0.6, meaning lower efficiency) due to the increased exhaust back pressure caused by the turbo or power consumption of the supercharger.

It is also important to note that those calculations assume a certain pressure difference across the injector. When the manifold pressure is higher than ambient (boost conditions), the pressure difference across the injector would be less than before, resulting in less flow for a given duty cycle, unless the fuel pressure is increased accordingly. The opposite case happens when the manifold pressure is less than ambient (vacuum conditions). Some vehicle account for this by changing the fuel pressure. They do this by referencing the manifold pressure when regulating the fuel pressure. Other vehicles account for this in the ECU. The ECU is constantly measuring manifold pressure, and it's been given a calibration that can calculate what the change in fuel injector flow will be for a given manifold pressure. It takes that into consideration when deciding how long to hold the injectors open.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:52 PM

So whats up, how is your build coming along?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Gorash View Post
So whats up, how is your build coming along?
That last post was from 9 years ago, and he last visited the forum 8 years ago.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode