Location: Cleveland Heights OH in summer, Tucson AZ in Winter
Garage
Which SC or Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
This is worthy of its own thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmccomb1 View Post
I just had DDM install the Rotrex SC about a month ago on my 2.4. I was WOWed by the change. It's probably equivalent to the GXP with tune, but I never rode in one. I can honestly say that from a dead stop it scared the heck out of me! The SC is quick to respond with instant wild power. Dave told me that when he tested it on his test route that it hit 100mph before he hit his test mark. Even he was impressed! I do have a long tube header and Dave installed the center feed fuel rail. Was it more money compared to a standard turbo kit install, yes. For me it was money well spent. I am very happy with my choice and would like to thank Dave and all his staff for making my time there very enjoyable. I asked Dave if he was going to Colorado and he said yes. What a great company he has that supports our needs. Again thank you Dave and Jeff, job well done!
This thread started in the New Member Forum. Like Cmccomb1 I am having the DDM SC installed on one of my coupes and am very interested in everyone's experience with it and alternatives. I may have Werks do the other car because they are closer. I installed a turbo kit on a Saab V4 over 30 years ago but am too old to DIY anymore.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 09:35 AM

Garage
Given the minimal cost difference today, it might be wise to consider switching to the more robust GXP with engine specifically designed for use with positive pressure. Their starting point power is around where NA owners often stop improving.
WickedMike likes this.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 11:54 AM

Having said that, I have a Rotrex SC 2.4 done by DDM. It's a lot of fun, but some of the older 2.4s have grenaded under boost. Knowing the owners of 2 of them and from what they told me, I had Dave build me a bullet proof engine with forged internals. It would have been cheaper in the long run to get a GXP, but not nearly as cool.
Sting Ya likes this.

It's sticky!!!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No doubt good advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Given the minimal cost difference today, it might be wise to consider switching to the more robust GXP with engine specifically designed for use with positive pressure. Their starting point power is around where NA owners often stop improving.
This is no doubt good advise, and if I could take my car to Solstices R Us and trade it and $5000 for a similar mileage and condition GXP I would do it. But when you already own a car there are logistics problems:
  1. If you want a GXP coupe, the seller is likely to want twice what you want to pay.
  2. New car is likely to be out of town, requiring transport or a long drive.
  3. You have to own two cars until you sell the old one.
  4. Wife will notice the new car, especially if it is a different color. She won’t notice a SC.
  5. If wife leaves, she may take the GXP.
alberta boy likes this.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, Cleveland Heights OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH

Last edited by stevebot39; 12-15-2017 at 01:18 PM. Reason: wordsmithing
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:55 PM

Garage
honestly. have any of you thought of nitrous? Like. if you dont want or need the power all the time, a little juice might be just the ticket. and with some tuning its really not too big a deal. nice lil 75 shot and a hideaway bottle.

2007 Solstice GXP.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Dash View Post
honestly. have any of you thought of nitrous?...
Nope. Not even for a second...
Sting Ya likes this.

It's sticky!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
honestly. have any of you thought of nitrous? Like. if you dont want or need the power all the time, a little juice might be just the ticket. and with some tuning its really not too big a deal. nice lil 75 shot and a hideaway bottle.
Nitrous is great on the strip but I think most of us that want more power and performance on this forum also enjoy these cars for what they are truly good at and that is a curvy back road. On roads like that, nitrous is pretty much worthless. You are right though, in a straight line, nitrous is a real blast.
Sting Ya and stevebot39 like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRiggleman View Post
Nitrous is great on the strip but I think most of us that want more power and performance on this forum also enjoy these cars for what they are truly good at and that is a curvy back road. On roads like that, nitrous is pretty much worthless.
Agree, agree.

SteveBot39

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 07:36 AM

If available I'd give serious consideration to the MP62 kit that DDM USED to sell, mainly because the Rotrex relies on higher RPM to make power. Wish someone would offer it again.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 12:14 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
If available I'd give serious consideration to the MP62 kit that DDM USED to sell, mainly because the Rotrex relies on higher RPM to make power. Wish someone would offer it again.
I agree! I would think the Rotrex behaves much more like a turbocharger, and has a boost profile to match.

1st 1K - #741
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 12:43 PM

Me too. I wonder how many of us are interested in it? There has got to be more than just you and me. Do you think if there was enough interest, DDM might consider retooling for a limited run on the kits?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 09:38 PM

Should be a lot of used m62 around relatively cheap from the cobalt ss sc and ion redlines now. Putting one on a 2.4 cobalt was fairly common in the day so the tunes are readily available. Just need someone to do the intake and brackets.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Having owned a Harley with nitrous in my wild and crazy days it's a cheap way to make horsepower after the initial cost,as mentioned above it's a shot that's why it's used on the strip and the other issue is availability it's not something that the corner gas station carries . Add in the fact that I've seen more than one blown motor (you better have forged components in your lower end )due to abuse it's not something I would recommend for a daily driver
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck View Post

It would have been cheaper in the long run to get a GXP, but not nearly as cool.
Cool is running a 2.4 with a Hann kit at over 300 hp especially with no advertising it's only an NA . I've gotten the last laugh on more than a few GXP & Subaru boys To add Hann built an for Tony ( ASAP Graphics )that was something like 450 HP ran into him at the Dream Cruise a few years ago and that car was awesome . The 2006 and 2007 motors had forged internals and GM rated them at being able to handle 400 to 450 HP there is no substitute for cubic inches .

Last edited by Sting Ya; 12-16-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode