• 5 Post By stevebot39
  • 2 Post By 44thSKY
  • 1 Post By easyryderca
  • 1 Post By ChopTop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Supercharger Installation

I spent three days last week in Phoenix with Santiago Feria installing a DDM Rotrex Supercharger kit. Sorry there are no in-progress photos. While Santiago did most of the work, I was busy with the simpler tasks.
The results are as effective as they are pretty. Pep is amazing even though we have not run a log and refined the tune to match this actual engine and exhaust, nor has the ECM had time to learn all the parameters of this engine and the local fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	93003   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	93005   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	93007   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	93009   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	93011  

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, South Euclid OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 AM

That looks like a very nice setup. Let me guess ....... with the Trifecta tune and SC, etc., do you think you will be in the 330 WHP range?
easyryderca and stevebot39 like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:05 AM

Curious how many on the site have put the supercharger installs on there solstices. Sounds like your going to get a lot of bang for your buck with that install Steve. Nice pics.
stevebot39 likes this.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tuning for Supercharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
That looks like a very nice setup. Let me guess ....... with the Trifecta tune and SC, etc., do you think you will be in the 330 WHP range?
I chose to go with a HP Tune instead of the Trifecta. I returned the tune to stock, then read that tune into HP format with an HP Tuner. Dave DDM modified that tune for a starting point and I loaded it to the ECM. Next step is to run a log at idle to check baseline. If that is okay, I will run a log under varying conditions including a full throttle run, then DDM will verify and modify if necessary that tune. In the future I can create my pwn tunes if I can learn the HP Tuner system, which looks overwhelming at this point.

I an going to stay south of 300 hp because the 2009s did not have forged pistons and rods. I am not eager to blow up my engine.

SteveBot39
Winter Solstice, Tucson AZ - '09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow cat and exhaust, ESTuned; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL N AZ

Summer Solstice, South Euclid OH - '09 NA Auto Mysterious Black Coupe; DDM Supercharger, MagnaFlow, DDM chassis kit, Hawk brake pads, Conti EC Sport tires on Black ASA wheels, Advent radio w/ NAV and b/u camera. Plate SOL 4 OH
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:38 AM

I'd be very interested in hearing your review after you've had some time to dial it in and drive it for awhile. I've shied away from the Rotrex because I've read you have to run it in the upper RMMs in order to achieve optimum results. I've hoped for months that DDM would bring the MP62 supercharger kit back but actions say otherwise. Of course their's the turbo route, but I believe a positive supercharger would compliment my driving style much better than a centrifugal one. So that basically leaves the Rotrex supercharger. Oh yeah, a video would be brilliant!
stevebot39 likes this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 01-21-2019 at 11:40 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I am LOVING this supercharger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
I'd be very interested in hearing your review after you've had some time to dial it in and drive it for awhile. I've shied away from the Rotrex because I've read you have to run it in the upper RMMs in order to achieve optimum results. I've hoped for months that DDM would bring the MP62 supercharger kit back but actions say otherwise. Of course their's the turbo route, but I believe a positive supercharger would compliment my driving style much better than a centrifugal one. So that basically leaves the Rotrex supercharger. Oh yeah, a video would be brilliant!
Car is decidedly peppier. Gas mileage is still good, in fact great, although I have not floored it yet until I am sure of the tune. My wife is saying she will not ride with me unless I am more careful because it is too fast. I guess I will be getting tickets soon.

I'll post more as I progress

SteveBot39

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:00 AM

Would like to see an update on the car since the installation. Want to do the same thing this spring. Thanks
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
SC installation update

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEZER888 View Post
Would like to see an update on the car since the installation. Want to do the same thing this spring. Thanks
Thanks for your interest. At first the engine surged a couple of times as it sought a stable idle. DDM sent a new tune and that plus a few days of learning have settled it down to normal starting.
The thing you notice immediately is a ton of torque off the line. However it seems to run out of breath before it upshifts. Torque peaks at 304 ft/lb at 3300rpm but falls off rapidly to yield only 238 hp at 5900 rpm. Normally I would just accept this and be very happy with the improvement, but a fiend with a tuned GXP challenged me to a dyno test and a drag race. (Gunter, that was an honest typo but I am going to let it stand.) By comparison, the GXP had 340 ft/lbs and over 300 hp.
The tuner, Evan Smith of ESTuned, uses a European accelerometer based dyno system combined with an HP Tuner. WOT runs were made on unpopulated freeway access roads but could also be done at the local strip’s testing and tuning night. He quickly identified several problems and I have a second session scheduled with him next week to sort them out before our drag race date.
This will probably trigger a discussion of the merits of different dynos, and all I will say is Evan ran a traditional dyno for years before switching and now services racing teams all over the country and in Europe.
Overall I am so pleased with the outcome that I have scheduled installation of the same DDM system on my summer Solstice.

SteveBot39

Last edited by stevebot39; 03-06-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: grammar
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:29 AM

As long as the comparison between your cars is on the same dyno who cares~!

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out! I would love to take a small clutch m62 and pop it on my redline with the turbo to have a twincharged setup! Would be fun! Nothing beats the immediate torque of a blower!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the updated and keep us posted .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode