Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only on the forum for several months with my 08 GXP, but I read a lot about owners having a lot of trouble with their GXP tunes. Also read (perhaps the Ghost?) an older post that said engine life is 50% of normal with a tune. That said what is the "on the road" performance increase with the GMPP tune? Not too concerned with the more abstract dyno readings and PSI boost, just what is the "seats of the pants" feel, or 0-60 times, with and without GMPP Tune? (Would not consider a Trifecta tune). Or is it better just to do a few suspension mods for a little better handling (can't complain about stock handling though) and skip the tunes all together?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
There is a lot of bad information on the net, which includes this forum. I'd carefully vet all posts.

GM felt comfortable enough with the tune and its parameters to not alter the powertrain warranty in any way with it. I consider that a significantly higher standard than posts I've seen to the contrary here.

The GMPP tune has about 30% more torque than stock (and tq is what most people want in a street car). That is not a trivial change. You can search and read up on the many threads about what people thought about it in the ride and drive. Hint, the ride and drive change was not trivial either for most people.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Agree with kw^^

The general statements seem to be about 5.5secs to 60 with factory tune, and ~5.0secs (or even under) with GMPP. But every car differs a bit.

As for 'seat of the pants', I think that's a bit too subjective to gain anything from.

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Mileage went up about 1.5 mpg at cruse.

Boost on my car went from 18 - 19 to mid to high 20s. 27 -28 not unusual

Biggest difference was a lot more torque. Made it more fun to drive for me.

We have many club cars with GMPP. Ask for a ride. Decide for yourself

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
I have the tune on my roadster with no issues except FUN. I am going to get the tune on my Coupe next season so it can be as much FUN as the roadster. >:)

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I have a ZZP dyno tune. First let me say that you must be very careful with dyno tunes. There are a very limited number of tuners out there that know how to tune the LNF motor. While these motors are built proof if tuned correctly, they but fragile roses if not tuned correctly. They don't last long if they have any knock or the AFR is too lean. So my first words of advice is find a tuner that is familiar with the LNF. The LNF came in all sorts of different vehicles. The '09 and '10 Cobalt SS, the Chevy HHR SS, and the Solstice and Sky. The next derivative of the LNF which is the LTG. The LTG is pretty much the same motor, with the intake and exhaust flipped and some internal changes, but it's still a 2.0L turbo. It comes in a large variety of cars...the ATS, CTS, CT6, Malibu, Regal, Verano and a few others. Okay, off on a tagent...ooopps. Now, my second bit of advice. If you have no major power adders (a new turbo, a HFC with an a new AM IC) don't worry about a dyno tune. I merely got a dyno with mine because they were running a special, $200 for 6 pulls and tuning. Thirdly, if you get a dyno tune, DO NOT WATCH IT!!! Especially if you have a huge love for your car and a weak heart! Actually its not that bad, but I would never put my car through it again. To watch them run the car in 4th gear from 40mph to 112mph (redline) is a bit scary. I believe Marvin said it best and you would probably think the same thing...

(I got this message from my coworkers as I pulled into the parking lot at ZZP!!!)

In conclusion if you don't have any major power adders, the GMPP or Trifecta canned tune are just fine. If you do go with Trifecta, go with one of our vendors here on the forum, DDM Works or PAW to get it. If you want a dyno tune, find someone that has done the LNF.

0-60 times....I can tell you for certain that my Solstice would destroy my Challenger R/T. I would guess I'm somewhere around 5-6 seconds. The R/T is rated at ~6.2 seconds. I cannot turn off my trac control when trying a run as the car is too quick to swap ends. My fuel mileage went up a lot more too. I get 38mpg on the highway. I average 27mpg in mixed driving. And that's not being light on the gas!

As far as what to do...either tune or suspension? hmmmm... That's all personal choice. Do you want a car that handles better? Or do you want a tad bit faster car? Personally for $600 (or whatever they're charging now) on a GMPP tune, I would go with that first, then do suspension work. But, I'm a "I need to be pushed back in my seat" kind of guy. But I also like handling, and I think the Solstice is probably one of the better handling cars I've owned without any suspension mods. That question is all personal preference.

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Unless you have a highly modified car, or one that has non-standard after market parts on it getting a custom tune is in my opinion not a good investment.

The advantage of the GMPP tune is it is warranted by GM forever. Also as stated above, it is designed to be 50 state legal and while giving good performance boost is very safe for your car.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Unless you have a highly modified car, or one that has non-standard after market parts on it getting a custom tune is in my opinion not a good investment.

The advantage of the GMPP tune is it is warranted by GM forever. Also as stated above, it is designed to be 50 state legal and while giving good performance boost is very safe for your car.
Completely agree with RTE. One other quick thing... almost every aftermarket tune out there is based off of the GMPP tune.... So you know it has to be a good starting point.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

--------
Rob, the Parts and Service Dept. at McCaddon Cadillac/GMC/Buick in Boulder (former Pontiac dealer) quoted $610.for the parts and $200-300 for labor. (GM parts online price is $517.15.) Parts manager said only 12/12 warranty on what is essentially only an ECM "re-flash" if ever needed in the 12/12 time period.

However Mccaddon service has installed very few and that was a while ago. Must be a better local resource that you know to install this as the "re-flash" warranty seems rather meaningless.
-------
FROM GM: What's in the box:
1 - Bolt Tmap Sensor 11589015
2 - Connector Sen-MAP w/ leads 88988320
1 - Sticker Premium Fuel 12602863
1 - Label Cert 12626987
2 - O-Ring T-MAP 12626998
2 - Sensor T-MAP 55206797
1 - GM Performance Decal
1 - Instruction Sheet
The Turbo Upgrade Kit, when installed properly, does not affect the vehicle’s full factory warranty (none left on my 08) and it is 50-state emissions-compliant. Installation is quick, and includes a new ECM calibration and MAP sensors to work with higher boost levels. Premium fuel is required, but all other vehicle functions remain unchanged.
--------
Bigger Issue: As my 8/16 purchase of the 08 GXP was a "certified" used car from a very reputable area dealer (Stevinson Lexus in Lakewood, CO) I have a 24-month powertrain warranty. A quick cost/benefit analysis on installing the GMPP tuner and voiding my "certified" 24-month powertrain warranty does not seem to work. Maybe I will just do other mods for the next 21 months and then tune.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You asked for seat of the pants feel. When I mash the throttle while idling in second gear, as soon as the engine hits 2,000 RPM the traction control lights up. My car did not do that before the GMPP tune. You can really feel the difference.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
--------
Rob, the Parts and Service Dept. at McCaddon Cadillac/GMC/Buick in Boulder (former Pontiac dealer) quoted $610.for the parts and $200-300 for labor. (GM parts online price is $517.15.) Parts manager said only 12/12 warranty on what is essentially only an ECM "re-flash" if ever needed in the 12/12 time period.

However Mccaddon service has installed very few and that was a while ago. Must be a better local resource that you know to install this as the "re-flash" warranty seems rather meaningless.
-------
FROM GM: What's in the box:
1 - Bolt Tmap Sensor 11589015
2 - Connector Sen-MAP w/ leads 88988320
1 - Sticker Premium Fuel 12602863
1 - Label Cert 12626987
2 - O-Ring T-MAP 12626998
2 - Sensor T-MAP 55206797
1 - GM Performance Decal
1 - Instruction Sheet
The Turbo Upgrade Kit, when installed properly, does not affect the vehicle’s full factory warranty (none left on my 08) and it is 50-state emissions-compliant. Installation is quick, and includes a new ECM calibration and MAP sensors to work with higher boost levels. Premium fuel is required, but all other vehicle functions remain unchanged.
--------
Bigger Issue: As my 8/16 purchase of the 08 GXP was a "certified" used car from a very reputable area dealer (Stevinson Lexus in Lakewood, CO) I have a 24-month powertrain warranty. A quick cost/benefit analysis on installing the GMPP tuner and voiding my "certified" 24-month powertrain warranty does not seem to work. Maybe I will just do other mods for the next 21 months and then tune.
If it's a GM certified warranty, a dealer installed GMPP tune will not affect warranty. If it's someone else's warranty (Lexus), you need to find out if a dealer installed stage will affect the warranty. However, most other dealers will not even know if you have a GMPP tune installed. Most dealers won't know if you have an aftermarket tune installed at all, unless you have a catastrophic failure of a major, expensive component (block, turbo, trans)....and then it's about a 50/50 chance they'll even know where or how to look for a tune. Furthermore, most can't prove that the tune wasn't there when you bought the car from them. Mine was personally tuned before I bought it when I had my WP failure and then they had to replace the cat too (total price was about $2700 for my WP!) because they cut it by accident, but there was never any issue. Unless they have an actual GM OBD II computer, and they know exactly where to look and have the actual GM "part number" for the tune, it's impossible. Not too mention they have no clue if the car was tuned when they sold it to you! Just my $.02 but if you don't feel comfortable, don't do it...just wait.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
On a side note, buy the MAP sensors and plug'n'play adapters from either ZZP or Crate Engine, don't have the dealer do parts....you can easily save $300! Just have the dealer install the software for the GMPP tune.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You asked for seat of the pants feel. When I mash the throttle while idling in second gear, as soon as the engine hits 2,000 RPM the traction control lights up. My car did not do that before the GMPP tune. You can really feel the difference.
Wow, that is very good "seat of the pants" feedback!

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Get the price from Tom at Crate Engine Depot. they have kits with the sensors soldered and not crimped plus he has consistently been the lowest price.

The installation is very straightforward. Any competent tech would have a hard time screwing it up.

Many of us had ours installed by Devin. He is currently at Elway Cadillac in Highlands Ranch. He was at Elway Chevrolet. I don't know if they have a tech there with recent experience however.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts