Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if there is an easy way to tell in my 2006 Solstice has had the rear differential recall applied?

Thanks

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Does anybody know if there is an easy way to tell in my 2006 Solstice has had the rear differential recall applied?

Thanks
Its pretty easy to see if they have added the vent tube to the car, just look under the car and see if there is a long rubber tube coming off the top of the diff going up to the top of the cavity under the car. If so, the vent tube mod has been done.

Like Rob said though, a quick call to GM will let you know for sure what service has been done.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
563 Posts
Its pretty easy to see if they have added the vent tube to the car, just look under the car and see if there is a long rubber tube coming off the top of the diff going up to the top of the cavity under the car. If so, the vent tube mod has been done.

Like Rob said though, a quick call to GM will let you know for sure what service has been done.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Dave do you by chance have a picture of what the vent tube looks like? I dont recall seeing it on my diff

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
When we bought ours previously owned 06, the owner said his dealer told him his was fine and not to worry about it. Then I had to take it in to have the buttress worked on and that dealer said it was still in the GM system for the differential recall. I passed on having the recall work done but have to admit I do wonder if I should just go ahead and have it done anyway? No indication anything is leaking.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
Please note that the only recall on the rear differential is the one for the pinion seal. If it has been done, the recall repair should be detailed in the GM service record on the car, accessed via the VIN number.

The added tube that [email protected] is talking about is not a recall, but a TSB. TSBs are merely the suggested repair procedure to be used to treat a problem if, and when, it occurs.

Clear as mud, right? :willy:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Got ya. On my diff I have lots of dirt Stuck to the top of the diff is that a symptom of this tsb

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
Got ya. On my diff I have lots of dirt Stuck to the top of the diff is that a symptom of this tsb
If the dirt is oily, it's a pretty good indicator that there has been a leak. I have attached a picture of a Solstice differential with a yellow arrow to point out the vent. This is on the top rear driver's side of the diff.

With the car on a lift, you will not be able to see the vent, but you should be able to feel where it is if your forearms are small enough to allow you to get your hand up there.

Questions? ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
So it sounds as if I need to double check if the dealership I took it to was talking about a recall or TSB? All I can remember is the dealership saying the database indicated it wasn't performed.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
So it sounds as if I need to double check if the dealership I took it to was talking about a recall or TSB? All I can remember is the dealership saying the database indicated it wasn't performed.
Dealerships must enter info on a recall into the manufacturer database.

A TSB repair may show up on a database search, but only if the dealership entered it on the car's service record.

In other words, a TSB may have been performed and yet not show up on a search.

If a recall was done, it will show up on a database search.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
low (correct me if I'm wrong Dave), the dealer would not see anything in the database for a TSB that was NOT performed, only a recall that was NOT performed. The database MAY contain a reference to a TSB but only if the servicing dealer bothered to include it.

If the dealer said he saw something that was NOT performed, it's almost certain that it was a recall.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
low (correct me if I'm wrong Dave), the dealer would not see anything in the database for a TSB that was NOT performed, only a recall that was NOT performed. The database MAY contain a reference to a TSB but only if the servicing dealer bothered to include it.

If the dealer said he saw something that was NOT performed, it's almost certain that it was a recall.
You are correct, we're just looking at it from a different perspective. The recall will show up whether or not the service was performed, along with the status of the service performed (or not).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts