Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant stand it any longer. My '06 solstice rear differential whine is more than I can bear. It must be eliminated, or all is lost! I hate to say this, but this racket makes it less fun to drive the car

Since the whine is a common problem with the '06s, there must be many members out there who have experienced it. Someone, please take the time to tell me what has worked for you to stifle this noise.

I have tried all the suggestions from forum members to silence the diffy, including refilling with Royal Purple LSD rear end fluid many times. Nothing has worked!

Isit time to replace the unit, is so.... with what?

E bay has many used '06 units for sale, but they likely have the same flaws, and it seems that all other years ('07-10) diffys are not compatible with the '06. So, after all my whining, will someone please tell me what I can replace this '06 rear end with that is compatible with it, or has anyone has success with other solutions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I don't see an reason why you can't use an 07-09 diff. They all mount the same on the rear cross member and I believe the axle shafts are the same. You should only need to remove the front mounting bracket from your old diff and reuse it. The big change on the 07 and up was the vent and a different side mounting bracket.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,403 Posts
You should be able to use a rear diff from any year as long as it is/was from an auto transmission NA (base) model car.

If it is from a GXP it will be the wrong gear ratio. If from a torque bar equipped car the front mount will be wrong.

Have fun!

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
You should be able to use a rear diff from any year as long as it is/was from an auto transmission NA (base) model car.

If it is from a GXP it will be the wrong gear ratio. If from a torque bar equipped car the front mount will be wrong.

Have fun!

Actually the diff from from a torque equipped vehicle will work, all you do is remove the 4 bolts that hold the side bracket on. Under it you will find the mounting hole for the 06 brace. As for the gear ration other than a little difference in the speedometer I doubt you can tell the difference between to 2 common ratios.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,403 Posts
Actually the diff from from a torque equipped vehicle will work, all you do is remove the 4 bolts that hold the side bracket on. Under it you will find the mounting hole for the 06 brace. As for the gear ration other than a little difference in the speedometer I doubt you can tell the difference between to 2 common ratios.
OH, I just learned something new. Thank you!

As to the gear ratio, you are probably correct that us mere mortals couldn't tell the difference in the gear ratios.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OH, I just learned something new. Thank you!

As to the gear ratio, you are probably correct that us mere mortals couldn't tell the difference in the gear ratios.

Open case shim cairer bearings .004 backlash
.004 inch cold at 70f when hot expands to .008-.010in

·
Registered
498 Posts
how did you figure this? what was the backlash to start with? mine is massive amount of back lash in my 06. I got a 07 gxp unit to replace it with till I can get this one apart and fix it. do you know the torque specs for the side plate? I wish somebody made a heavy duty side plate like put on my old vw stuff about 3x as thick. about the same dia.. ring gear deflection is a real killer on this aluminum stuff.some of the race stuff have a adjustable brass puck that contacts the ring gear at the pinion location to taks some of the hard load and keep deflection way down and extend gear life. these covers are way too thin for what they are in from the 4 cyl kappas to the 8 cyl cadalacks.& such.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a cts diff I was going to messure and see whats off on the solstice unit, depth or ring gear location. since mine was in for rearend issues withen the first year I assume they were built like this.....new kid on the line. or the sace was machined outa spec on either the pinion or the ring gear depths, possiably even the pinion holder. all ive see is 1 size shim for the pinion, so.... who knows with no real info on these .

·
Registered
177 Posts
Before you do anything drastic, do this. It'll only cost a few bucks. Drain the diffy; then flush and drain it again. Fill with Motorcraft Full Syhthetic 75-90 gear oil. Drive it for 100 miles or so and see if the whine has abated. I think you'll be amazed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
from reading way back in early 06 many got the wine or the clunk or both after the front seal was replaced..under warranty or was it recall... but... did the techs do it right? did they just use the big impact to tighten the flange nut impacting the pinion gear( witch chips very eazely) into the ring gear( witch also chips very eazely) and also alter the pinion depth and squash the crap out of the pinion bearings.... Im not new to rear end's Ive seen many effups done in many ways. Im starten to see a pattern of seal replaced then the issues started.... some tech's use impacts for everything and some have more brains than that. the aluminum pinion holder may also of been distorted from the impact being used.. so...is it the pinion depth or the ring gear backlash...with no info and no tooling available made for these rear ends unless you ahve 1 good unit to compare to the bad units it's a crap shoot rebuilding them. most oe pinion depths are withen a few thou. I would think this unit would be too. so making a tool to check pinion depths and comparing would be best the set the back lash. I have gear set up tooling but dam sure not for this rear end. but this is very similar to my rear engine cars( vw ,porch) witch Ive made a few tools for,and bought some. I have no doubt I can do it . but that dnt fix any body elses car. gm screwed us all over when they decided on this rear end in these cars. it's a very week rearend, witch gm found out. but did almost nothing to help us. for those of you who have a lot of power and like to use it.... put in a 9". for those who dont and have the clunk or wine... sourse a new unit if you want to keep your car. or a used unit from a 08 or newer. I got a march of 07 373 to go into my 06, 3.91 geared car.Ill pull it appart and make it a little better and slap it in. then rework the old unit .I also have a good 05 cts unit( said to bee weeker than ours) for measurement reference.( back lash is right and gears look very good)

·
Registered
4 Posts
from reading way back in early 06 many got the wine or the clunk or both after the front seal was replaced..under warranty or was it recall... but... did the techs do it right? did they just use the big impact to tighten the flange nut impacting the pinion gear( witch chips very eazely) into the ring gear( witch also chips very eazely) and also alter the pinion depth and squash the crap out of the pinion bearings.... Im not new to rear end's Ive seen many effups done in many ways. Im starten to see a pattern of seal replaced then the issues started.... some tech's use impacts for everything and some have more brains than that. the aluminum pinion holder may also of been distorted from the impact being used.. so...is it the pinion depth or the ring gear backlash...with no info and no tooling available made for these rear ends unless you ahve 1 good unit to compare to the bad units it's a crap shoot rebuilding them. most oe pinion depths are withen a few thou. I would think this unit would be too. so making a tool to check pinion depths and comparing would be best the set the back lash. I have gear set up tooling but dam sure not for this rear end. but this is very similar to my rear engine cars( vw ,porch) witch Ive made a few tools for,and bought some. I have no doubt I can do it . but that dnt fix any body elses car. gm screwed us all over when they decided on this rear end in these cars. it's a very week rearend, witch gm found out. but did almost nothing to help us. for those of you who have a lot of power and like to use it.... put in a 9". for those who dont and have the clunk or wine... sourse a new unit if you want to keep your car. or a used unit from a 08 or newer. I got a march of 07 373 to go into my 06, 3.91 geared car.Ill pull it appart and make it a little better and slap it in. then rework the old unit .I also have a good 05 cts unit( said to bee weeker than ours) for measurement reference.( back lash is right and gears look very good)
Wheels off ground parkbrake off in park preload driveshaft open fill plug rock ringgear with screwdriver to determine backlash to test pinion remove driveshaft at pinion 12 to 30 inlbs rotating torque try to fit lastword dial indicated into fillhole onto ringgear .004 backlash pinion fixed locked

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try to modyfy 89/98 t bird/Lincoln mark8 8.8 pif/diff t bird iron mark8 alum use mustang ring/pinion good to 600+hp

·
Registered
498 Posts
I finlay found some specs to these rear ends, and Im getting some tools comming/on the way so i can 1 set up this used gxp diff I bought and stick it in my car .then rebuild my 3.91 and stick it on the shelf. Ive seen quite afew week spots and factory opps/jagged cut gears/shouldent of done it like this crap in these rearends and more already when I pulled the cts&the gxp rear appart. I think rock auto has shims for this...or some other site Ive been on in the past few days.....lost of those. as for making a 8.8 fit....no for me,I would just use a 9"modular aluminum diff like mark Williams stuff.there are many of those out now by different makers. but Im done with racing.....not by choice, but it is what it is and I want a nice little car that I dont need to work on. and if I did it would have a V8 in it....I bought a lesbian car so Im not tempted to build it.( my brothers girlfriend cam running in and all around his house&shop looking for the girl that owned that solstice out there......we looked at each other and I said it's me Im a lesbian...her reply was oh ****, it's your new car....boy did she feel small. but we all laughed about it.so that's now what it's referred to as. ( so don't any body get their panties in a wadd over it!!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts