Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel free to move to GXP section...or anywhere...

I searched a bit and came up woth nothing other than possible sending unit or re-tighten gas cap.

Issue:
07 GXP, 10500 milels at start of trip. Took 1600 miles trip to the coast and back. About 80 miles after second fill up on way to coast, car went to empty with gas light on and DTE was 291. About 50 miles later, DTE showed same number, 291. Pulled over and gas was not leaking out so continued on. About 40 miles later, car showed just over 1/2 and DTE went to 244 when I checked. Very odd. Got gas when empty and no more issues. Got gas twice more and no issues. Then almost home and car said empty and gas light on all of a sudden when DTE was 66. Normally light comes on when DTE is below 45. Parked car at home and shut off. Waited 20 mins and restarted car and went bowling. It sat for 3 hours. Restart showed empty and 66 miles to empty still. Filled tank and same numbers. Drove home and same. This morning did an oil change and it went to full as soon as started after change was complete and 400 miles to empty. No issues after 2 more trips.

I do not think it can be gas cap if it remedied itself without touching the cap the first time. I always tighted cap more than 3 clicks. It is not the sending unit as it works/doesnt work and I think the sending is a work or no work item.

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Would run a bottle of Techron through one tank full iand see if that helps.
:agree:

There are threads covering GM sending units susceptibility to corrosion from new fuels. GM recommends treating the fuel every six months. Shows up as inaccurate fuel readings

·
Registered
433 Posts
Feel free to move to GXP section...or anywhere...

I searched a bit and came up woth nothing other than possible sending unit or re-tighten gas cap.

Issue:
07 GXP, 10500 milels at start of trip. Took 1600 miles trip to the coast and back. About 80 miles after second fill up on way to coast, car went to empty with gas light on and DTE was 291. About 50 miles later, DTE showed same number, 291. Pulled over and gas was not leaking out so continued on. About 40 miles later, car showed just over 1/2 and DTE went to 244 when I checked. Very odd. Got gas when empty and no more issues. Got gas twice more and no issues. Then almost home and car said empty and gas light on all of a sudden when DTE was 66. Normally light comes on when DTE is below 45. Parked car at home and shut off. Waited 20 mins and restarted car and went bowling. It sat for 3 hours. Restart showed empty and 66 miles to empty still. Filled tank and same numbers. Drove home and same. This morning did an oil change and it went to full as soon as started after change was complete and 400 miles to empty. No issues after 2 more trips.

I do not think it can be gas cap if it remedied itself without touching the cap the first time. I always tighted cap more than 3 clicks. It is not the sending unit as it works/doesnt work and I think the sending is a work or no work item.

What do you think?

Your concerns are certainly understandable regarding your vehicle. If you would like, I can check to see if any recalls or other coverages have been released for this issue. You would have to provide your VIN# in a PM. I hope your concerns are resolved quickly for you. Thank you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:agree:

There are threads covering GM sending units susceptibility to corrosion from new fuels. GM recommends treating the fuel every six months. Shows up as inaccurate fuel readings
I read about the inaccurate fuel readings but I do not have an issue with it being inaccurate in its readings....just showing empty when its not. When I say empty, I mean below the line for E.

The needle was under Empty but the distance to empty was 66 the first time and over 200 the second.

If the sending unit was bad or corroded or not sending proper gas level signal, shouldn't it also tell me the distance to empty is "low fuel" or whatever it says after it stops showing a number? Or are these not related or tied together somehow?

I have ran seafoam through it in the last 6 months. I also have the techron on the shelf as I alternate purchase based on sale at the time. Do you think the GM fuel system/top end cleaner is any better than these 2 or all about the same?

I only use techron or seafoam and they have served me well thus far.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The estimated travel distance remaining is calculated by the ECM by averaging out fuel consumption (amount of fuel going through the injectors) and comparing that to amount of fuel left in the tank as indicated by the fuel sender. The program runs a "smoothing curve" on the data feed from the fuel sender to compensate for "tank sloshing".

The analog gauge in the dash is just a "visual representation" of remaining fuel in the tank when compared to the calculated remaining travel distance. It is not a linear representation. So if you are at cruise, and very efficient; the analog gauge may appear as though you have more fuel in the tank than you actually do. Or inversely, if you have been in a lot of stop and go traffic and keeping your foot in the turbo, the analog gauge may appear as though you have less fuel in the tank than you actually do.

Once the car is shut off and sits over night: Upon the next start up the analog gauge will default back to a visual representation of the amount of fuel actually indicated by the sender unit, at the first key cycle the next morning.

If the sender unit is "sticking" (known problem with GM cars prior to 2009), then it is very possible for the analog gauge to make drastic changes in displayed fuel amount; but the DIC to still have somewhat accurate indication of remaining miles. Because the "smoothing curve program" in the DIC calculation is ignoring the drastic changes in fuel sender data as part of "tank sloshing".

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Here you go

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/fuel-gauge-glitchy-62640/

Reproduced in part for your convenience

Subject: GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits

Models: 2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

Important : The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is not recommended for use with diesel fuel. The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is specially formulated for use in gasoline and/or E85 fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco®, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available for use in gasoline engines.

Added Benefits and Uses
The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

The Four Benefits
Just pour in one bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS into the fuel tank when refueling around each oil change interval:

• Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.

• Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.

• Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.

• Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

For the 2006 and 2007 models some inprovments can be had with software updates. Will probably cost one near an hour of dealership's time, so each owner can make the choice of if it is worth it.

Subject: Fuel Gauge Fluctuates On Acceleration or Sharp Turns, Low Fuel Light Illuminated (Reprogram I/P and ECM)

Models: 2006-2007 Pontiac Solstice
2007 Saturn Sky
2007 Daewoo G2X

Condition
Some customers may comment on fuel gauge fluctuation on acceleration or sharp turns when their fuel gauge is at or below 1/4 tank level or above 3/4 level. The needle may fluctuate between 1/8 and empty and eventually turn the low fuel light on. The needle will return to proper level after a few seconds.

Correction
DO NOT replace the fuel tank module or the fuel level sensor.

Technicians are to reprogram the I/P and ECM simultaneously using Sequential Programming.

A revised calibration has been developed to address this issue. Reprogram the I/P and ECU with an updated software calibration using the Service Programming System (SPS). This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

These calibrations will be available as an ECM/IPC programming sequence event.

Important: Technicians have to select ECM/IPC Sequential Programming in the Supported Controllers Screen

Early 2008 GXPs also can take care of a fuel gauge issue with a program update.

Subject: Erratic Fuel Gauge, Rough Idle, Black Smoke from Exhaust, DTC P2610 or P0341 Set (Reprogram Engine Control Module [ECM])

Models: 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2008 Saturn SKY Redline
2008 Opel GT
2008 Daewoo G2X
with 2.0L Engine (VIN X -- RPO LNF)
Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 8Y106569

Condition
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

• Check engine light illuminated with DTC P2610 set. Diagnostics will lead to the replacement of the ECM. This code may set falsely. DO NOT replace the ECM for this condition. Perform diagnostics per SI and if no other concern for the condition can be located, reprogram the ECM. Do NOT replace the ECM.

• Check engine light illuminated with DTC P0341 set. Diagnostics will lead to the replacement of the camshaft position sensor. This code may set falsely. DO NOT replace the camshaft position sensor for this condition. Perform diagnostics per SI and if no other concern for the condition can be located, reprogram the ECM. Do NOT replace the camshaft position sensor.

• Rough idle with black smoke coming from the exhaust on a hot restart.

• Fuel gauge reading is different when vehicle is not moving (0 km/h [0 mph]) compared to when vehicle is moving (km/h [mph] greater than zero).

Correction
A revised engine calibration has been developed to address these issues. Reprogram the ECM with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using the Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The estimated travel distance remaining is calculated by the ECM by averaging out fuel consumption (amount of fuel going through the injectors) and comparing that to amount of fuel left in the tank as indicated by the fuel sender. The program runs a "smoothing curve" on the data feed from the fuel sender to compensate for "tank sloshing".

If the sender unit is "sticking" (known problem with GM cars prior to 2009), then it is very possible for the analog gauge to make drastic changes in displayed fuel amount; but the DIC to still have somewhat accurate indication of remaining miles. Because the "smoothing curve program" in the DIC calculation is ignoring the drastic changes in fuel sender data as part of "tank sloshing".
That helps. When the analog went to E both times, the DTE remained on same number until the analog came back. Once it went to E i immediately went to DTE and left it there but it was not getting an update. I thought it too should tell me car is empty.

Thanks Rob for your info as well.

Which fuel treatment do eitehr of you use?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
FTHOI also run it through the Vette a couple of times a year. :thumbs:
I had to google FTHOI...:banghead:

I am guessing you use Techron. I use chevron, texaco, shell or BP gas almost everytime. I am not a fan of dealer only things normally. It costs more and is further to drive to get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts