Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve decided to sell my ’07 GXP. I'm located in East Tennessee just outside the Knoxville area. I believe the car has all of the factory options for ’07 except OnStar and XM. It has roughly 35,000 miles and is in very good shape inside and out. It has a manual transmission. I have customized/modified it moderately and those details are listed below. The convertible top is still in excellent shape. The reason I am selling is that roughly a year ago the engine threw a rod and I have decided not to have it fixed. The rotors have rusted a little because of setting and the battery is dead. Other than that it just needs an engine. :) Price is $4000.00

Mods
Performance

• Custom tune by Dave at DDM
    • Dynoed at ~ 300 hp at the wheels by a shop here in East Tennessee
  • Custom methanol injection
    • Snow Performance VC-50 controller
    • Custom 1.5 + Gallon Stainless steel reservoir tank located where stock air box used to be
    • Bung for injection nozzle welded into charge tube just before throttle body elbow
    • All Stainless steel lines
  • High flow cat
  • DDM catch can
Handling
  • DDM brace bundle
    • Red Venom front brace
    • 3/8 backbone
    • Red ProBeam
Under hood
  • GM CAI
  • DDM charge tubes
  • DDM coil cover
  • Red valve cover
  • Red silicone throttle body elbow
Outside
  • HID projector lights – Lens just beginning to need polished
  • Shorty antennae
Interior
  • DDM short throw shifter
  • DDM two gauge pod
    • Methanol controller
    • Aeroforce obd2 gauge
  • Heated seats
  • Lumbar adjustable seats
  • Black Cat custom gauge faces – white, similar to the gauge faces in the 2.4's
  • Maple wood grain dash kit
  • One touch windows both sides
The attached pictures are a couple years old but give a pretty good idea of mods and condition. I can take and send more current photo's for anyone interested.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brethren,
A good deal at that price, example: simply repair or replace the motor or use the car for an LS2 upgrade.
Sorry to see your car dead. Nice looking car. What was the cause for the failure?
Thanks NN and Rob both.

I'm not exactly sure what caused the problem but I believe the fuel pump was going bad and leaking fuel into the engine. I had noticed the regular ticking sound that is associated with the pump was at times either different or completely gone. I checked the oil and it seemed to have a gas smell. I changed the oil and thought to myself I better get a pump and swap that out before it fails. Within a couple hundred miles of that I lost the rod. My thought is that more gas than I thought was getting into the oil and it let a bearing get hot. Ultimately, a piece of the rod came through the block so for anyone wanting to fix this you'll need at least a short block and this one won't be able to be used as a core.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thrown rod with so low of miles is surprising. ATK engines ship for $2k, your car is the perfect donor!
I've seen those too Saveaux, the only problem is that my back no longer allows me to take on a job like this and I couldn't find anyone locally I would trust to do a decent job at a fair price. Anyone out there in the East TN area know a good shop or want to take on an engine change? Maybe I'll keep it if I find someone.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Sorry to hear this CR, I found you an engine from someone parting out a GXP in Burleson, TX. Wished I lived close because the prices seem to good to be true so I'd rather pay for the parts in person than sending money to a stranger.
2.0 engine & harness for sale: $650.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Chop. I will certainly miss the car if I actually sell it. It has definitely my favorite so far.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Thrown rods are not fun. When mine went, I thought someone was shooting at me. (To be fair, it threw #1 and #2, took out the LH motor mount bracket and the alternator, so it may have been a bit more dramatic than your experience.)

It's a good looking car - wish I had the toy budget replenished. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
If I lived closer, then I'd help you swap the engine over a weekend. You have a great car with lots of goodies that I'd love to have my dad drive to pickup if you were to sell them (meth inj/charge tube/tank, headlights). Somehow the new job that I started at the beginning of last year never withheld any federal or state taxes.....and I never looked and noticed it throughout the entire year ....so.....my fun money is going to the government over the next few months. :cry:

Knowing that this has been one of your favorite cars and knowing that you'll miss the car once it's gone, I personally think you should keep the car. Order an ATK LDK for $2k shipped. It comes just as ATK got it from Fisker - on a pallet in a wooden framed box with the engine completely enclosed in a thick plastic bag. You'll need a tune to compensate for the Opel injectors that the engine comes with Trifecta claimed they could have written the tune, but I decided to get rid of the Trifecta and went with PAW Dave writing the tune for HPTuners; if you know your way around HPTuners then the values can be found on their forums. ATK doesn't need a core, like you'll need from everyone else - also I think it was @JohnWR who saw that ATK lists LNF rebuilt engines for sale too, maybe they'll be even cheaper?

Assuming that you did all the mods to your car, then I assume you could do the swap with a buddy quite easily. If you've never had an engine out and then back in, then you should know that it may seem daunting, however the process really isn't bad. You just remove one thing at a time; disassembly is as simple as that. Take as long as you want. Although you can have the engine out in a day, take all summer if you want. Just remove one thing at a time. If you don't think that you'd be able to remember where all the bolts go once you get to reassembly, then buy yourself a box of cheap ziplock bags and throw the bolts in bags then label the bag with a sharpie as to where the bolts go.

I started by breaking the wheel lugnuts loose. Then removed the hinges (that hold the hood) off the frame, 2 people minimum to move the hood. Once it was off I jacked the nose way up and placed jackstands under. Removed front wheels. Removed Wheel liners, front bumper cover, Styrofoam behind the cover, and metal brace. I didn't break the AC lines at the compressor, just tilted the compressor out of the way. Left the radiator in. Left the power steer pump in, just tilted out of the way. I left the tranny in, just kept it up with a floor jack and a piece of wood (to spread the surface area of the contact patch). Removing the cowl panel will make the swap much easier; I wish I would have done that. I had the head off during engine failure diagnosis, so that saved some time. It was nice having two people to remove the flexplate/torque converter bolts. I laid on the floor while my dad rotated the engine via the crankpulley bolt. He was easily able to rotate to get the bolts right where they needed to go (remove bolts through starter hole (once you remove the starter).

I asked if anyone had a cherry picker on the Nextdoor app (app for communication in your neighborhood or surrounding neighborhoods only), got one from only 6 house's down from me!

Save the car. Swap engines.

PS. Leftover parts are proof you upgraded. If you don't have leftover bolts then you know that you did something wrong. That's what I always tell myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ve decided to sell my ’07 GXP. I'm located in East Tennessee just outside the Knoxville area. I believe the car has all of the factory options for ’07 except OnStar and XM. It has roughly 35,000 miles and is in very good shape inside and out. It has a manual transmission. I have customized/modified it moderately and those details are listed below. The convertible top is still in excellent shape. The reason I am selling is that roughly a year ago the engine threw a rod and I have decided not to have it fixed. The rotors have rusted a little because of setting and the battery is dead. Other than that it just needs an engine. :) Price is $4000.00

Mods
Performance

• Custom tune by Dave at DDM
    • Dynoed at ~ 300 hp at the wheels by a shop here in East Tennessee
  • Custom methanol injection
    • Snow Performance VC-50 controller
    • Custom 1.5 + Gallon Stainless steel reservoir tank located where stock air box used to be
    • Bung for injection nozzle welded into charge tube just before throttle body elbow
    • All Stainless steel lines
  • High flow cat
  • DDM catch can
Handling
  • DDM brace bundle
    • Red Venom front brace
    • 3/8 backbone
    • Red ProBeam
Under hood
  • GM CAI
  • DDM charge tubes
  • DDM coil cover
  • Red valve cover
  • Red silicone throttle body elbow
Outside
  • HID projector lights – Lens just beginning to need polished
  • Shorty antennae
Interior
  • DDM short throw shifter
  • DDM two gauge pod
    • Methanol controller
    • Aeroforce obd2 gauge
  • Heated seats
  • Lumbar adjustable seats
  • Black Cat custom gauge faces – white, similar to the gauge faces in the 2.4's
  • Maple wood grain dash kit
  • One touch windows both sides
The attached pictures are a couple years old but give a pretty good idea of mods and condition. I can take and send more current photo's for anyone interested.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Knowing that this has been one of your favorite cars and knowing that you'll miss the car once it's gone, I personally think you should keep the car. Order an ATK LDK for $2k shipped. It comes just as ATK got it from Fisker - on a pallet in a wooden framed box with the engine completely enclosed in a thick plastic bag.

Assuming that you did all the mods to your car, then I assume you could do the swap with a buddy quite easily. If you've never had an engine out and then back in, then you should know that it may seem daunting, however the process really isn't bad. You just remove one thing at a time; disassembly is as simple as that. Take as long as you want. Although you can have the engine out in a day, take all summer if you want.

Save the car. Swap engines.
Thanks for all the kind words and advice Saveaux. (y)

If it doesn't sell that's exactly what I'm thinking about doing. Buying and engine and figuring out if I want to take up the offer from a few different friends to do it myself or maybe roll the dice and have someone do it for me. I've done plenty of swaps in my younger days but my back seriously limits what I want to take on anymore. Pretty aggravating for an old time hot-rodder like me actually.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I hope you put a new engine in CR & keep it. The mods you put on your solstice shows how much this car means to you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts