Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just want to sing the praises of this great car.

I've had sports cars all of my life starting with a 1970 series II Jaguar E-Type Roadster.

I've also had a 1984 Pininfarina (Fiat Spider)

A 1994 Jaguar XJS (maybe not quite a sports car, but sporty)

A couple of sports sedans including a Jaguar XJ6 and S-Type

I have to say that the Solstice is the best looking of the bunch and it's hard to beat and E-Type for visual appeal.

Something an E-Type never had was a 5-speed and a turbo charger which makes the Solstice the quicker of the two!

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Yes, we've come a long way. Although the Solstice weighs several hundred pounds more than an XKE (hard to believe considering the size of the two cars) it also has more power (260 net vs around 200 net) and is considerably faster.

The XKE still stands as a styling icon for me, though - although compared to today's cars it looks somewhat dated with narrow inset tires.

I never owned an E type, but have had M2, XK 150 and Mk 9 Jags.

Welcome to Solstice ownership!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
As a former Jag owner... all I can say is that I miss hanging out with my Jaguar mechanic! :wink:

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
As a former Jag owner... all I can say is that I miss hanging out with my Jaguar mechanic! :wink:
I am my own mechanic.

Worst Jag mechanical experience - after removing the head for a valve grind (heaviest damn head except for the cast iron straight 6 head on my Wolseley 6/99), especially when you are lifting almost at arm's length out of the engine bay) I was reattaching the timing gears to the front of the camshafts and dropped a bolt into the crankcase. Fortunately went all the way down to the sump so didn't have to search for it in the front timing case, just had to remove the sump.

Have to say that the Jag straight 6 is one of the nicer sounding engines with a low restriction exhaust, though.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I am my own mechanic.
I had a Jaguar mechanic in LA who would take a large screwdriver, put it to his ear and touch it to different parts of the motor... I couldn't understand half of what he said with that heavy cockney accent, but he was a magician with those cars!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts