1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone dealt with this issue?
I dont even know where to start...
when you start the engine it revs up and starts bouncing off of limiter. The throttle body moves with the pedal.
TB seems to be doing its job, and when removed does exact same thing.
Just an expensive guess to buy a new one and throw on.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I have no clue what you are trying to say.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
If you're saying the tachometer "spikes" on power up, that's normal. If the engine actually revs up to redline, that is NOT normal.

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It didnt post all that I wrote...
When you start the engine it revs all the way up and starts hitting the rev limiter.
A 400 dollar throttle body is an expensive guess..

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
It didnt post all that I wrote...
When you start the engine it revs all the way up and starts hitting the rev limiter.
A 400 dollar throttle body is an expensive guess..
If the throttle body is the problem you should be getting a code, and the MIL should be on.

Have you checked the throttle pedal and its sensor?

When did this problem start, and did anything happen to the car between then and when it was operating normally?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Has anyone dealt with this issue?
I dont even know where to start...
when you start the engine it revs up and starts bouncing off of limiter. The throttle body moves with the pedal.
TB seems to be doing its job, and when removed does exact same thing.
Just an expensive guess to buy a new one and throw on.
If the TB is working as expected, you have a second air entrance. Ie some kind of hole/puncture in your admission tract post-TB, that is, the manifold.

But your dash should definitley throw a code for that. I imagine the MIL would light up at the dash and maybe the "reduced performance" icon as well. Because the ECM would be detecting a disagreement between revs and pedal position.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,457 Posts
The engine would not rev up like that if there was an air leak. The vars computer would have to see the acceleration position change along with the added air intake into the engine. the entrance of the additional air would cause the engine to not run correctly. All air going into the engine MUST be metered. if it is not then codes will get thrown.

I have personally not seen an accelerator pedal position sensor get stuck, it is a possibility. The OP could also be seeing the gauges POST (Power On Self Test). I cannot remember if the speedometer also goes up and down, I would have to go look.

Without knowing the the engine is running when the tachometer goes to red line really cannot help at all.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is with starting and the engine running.... runs wide open bouncing off the rev limiter. Nothing was done parked it one day came out the next and its doing this.

·
Super Moderator
8,182 Posts
this is with starting and the engine running.... runs wide open bouncing off the rev limiter. Nothing was done parked it one day came out the next and its doing this.
This is going to sound stupid, but something similar did happen a while back: Have you checked that the floor mat isn't holding the throttle pedal down?

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
This is going to sound stupid, but something similar did happen a while back: Have you checked that the floor mat isn't holding the throttle pedal down?
John could be right. Had that happen to me once in my Nissan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts