Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I joined this forum to specifically ask this question. Now Ive read other forum posts regarding what to look for when buying uses Solstice's and I have all of that information. But my one question is should I go for a Solstice with 135 thousand miles on it? Or should I avoid it? I seen that they are pretty reliable but I just want to know what actual owners think.

·
Registered
643 Posts
My thoughts on high mileage vehicles is that you don't buy them if you can't afford to keep them running.

Also, I would want to know how the miles were accumulated. That means I am dealing with the original owner and I know he drives a distance to work with light traffic and no stop and go.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I personally would pass. when I was searching I set the limit at 40k and passed on several with 50, 60 and 70.

If you're looking to finance, no one is going to touch that without 50% down. the cut-off is usually 5 years old and under 60k. If you do get financing you'll be upside down like a MF and by the time it's paid off the blue book value will be about the same as what the salvage yard offers.

Honestly, unless they changed shocks, front suspension, recent water pump, differential recall / new seals, and a bunch of other stuff, you better plan on making those your near future project.

I'd drive it, then drive one with less then 50 and see if you're still intersted.

Good luck and be smart.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I bought a Pontiac Sunfire this past October with 187,000 miles on it - I bought it cheap with the sole intent to learn to drive stick on. Mission accomplished, but after 4 weeks the whole transmission went out, not to mention the power steering pump, radiator, windshield washer pump, blower motor resistor, and oil sending unit. So I dumped it to a junk dealer. I would have liked to own it for 6 months but the whole thing fell apart.

10 years ago I owned a Pontiac Grand AM - bought it new and at 100K miles everything started to go out on it. So while I love the Solstice I do have 2 experiences with Pontiac and have learned that high milage Pontiacs fall apart. So I would avoid buying that high mileage Solstice you are looking at. My guess is the water pump and timing belt will need immediate replacement.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I can promise you the timing belt on these cars never fails. :devil:
True. But, the timing chain does. I found that out first hand. I pulled the valve cover off of mine to put a gasket on it becuase it was starting to leak. The chain was sagging at least an inch. I had it towed to the shop from my house, it's amazing it didn't jump time. Note, the car had 160-170 ish thousand miles on it at the time.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
There are owners of NA cars with well over 200k on them and still going

The question is what are you using the car for?

There are plenty of low mileage cars still around. Some with less than ten thousand have turned up for sale.
If you are using it as a daily driver and your only car, then it may not be a great idea unless you know the wear items have been addressed, clutch, brake pads, water pump etc. if they have and you want the car, drive it and a lower mileage car and make up your mind.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Price?

I'm surprised that not one response has asked the first question that came to my mind: What's the price?

Or better yet, what's the price -- and how much would the seller take if he'd accept a lower offer than what he's asking for it?

Another question or two:
* Does it need tires or anything else you can easily determine?
* What kind of shape is it in, physically?
* How many owners have there been?
* Does the seller have fairly complete maintenance records?
* Not that everyone tells the truth, but have you asked the seller WHY he's selling it?
* How many miles a year do you plan to drive it? If not many, that could make a difference in whether or not it's worth the price -- and worth taking a chance on.
* Do you have another vehicle to drive if you have any problems with the Solstice that will take more than a day to fix?

Ok so I joined this forum to specifically ask this question. Now Ive read other forum posts regarding what to look for when buying uses Solstice's and I have all of that information. But my one question is should I go for a Solstice with 135 thousand miles on it? Or should I avoid it? I seen that they are pretty reliable but I just want to know what actual owners think.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm surprised that not one response has asked the first question that came to my mind: What's the price?

Or better yet, what's the price -- and how much would the seller take if he'd accept a lower offer than what he's asking for it?

Another question or two:
* Not that everyone tells the truth, but have you asked the seller WHY he's selling it?
* How many miles a year do you plan to drive it? If not many, that could make a difference in whether or not it's worth the price -- and worth taking a chance on.
* Do you have another vehicle to drive if you have any problems with the Solstice that will take more than a day to fix?
The price doesn't matter if it is all he can afford. I had friends who bought hot cars that Spent more time in the driveway than on the road. Had they bought reliable transportation for the same money, they wouldn't have had to beg and barter for rides.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Another question or two:
They are asking 7 grand for it. The car is in excellent condition. No torn seats or anything. The top folds fine. There is no external damage that I can see. No scratches or anything. The tires have alot of life left in them. Its just has the high miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are owners of NA cars with well over 200k on them and still going

The question is what are you using the car for?

There are plenty of low mileage cars still around. Some with less than ten thousand have turned up for sale.
If you are using it as a daily driver and your only car, then it may not be a great idea unless you know the wear items have been addressed, clutch, brake pads, water pump etc. if they have and you want the car, drive it and a lower mileage car and make up your mind.
It would be my daily driver. I drive alot but nothing major major. I commute to work (If you want to call it a commute) round trip about 9 or 10 miles. Other than that I would be using it to get my son and he lives about 38 miles away from me. But it would be my daily driver.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would spend a bit more, subscribe to Car Gurus. You'll find lots mid-50K or so for around $10K. Be patient butterfly....

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
It's priced to make you think, that's for sure. But as others have said, unless you have the time and ability to work on it you're better off finding something with less mileage.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
See if you can get it for about 6K or less, at 7K is a bit high for a 2007 with so many miles.
Remember if something major happens you can always part it out.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It would be my daily driver. I drive alot but nothing major major. I commute to work (If you want to call it a commute) round trip about 9 or 10 miles. Other than that I would be using it to get my son and he lives about 38 miles away from me. But it would be my daily driver.
I'll bet the ex will love seeing you drive up in a solstice to pic up your son. :yesnod:

You son will love it though. :cool:

Without service records, you are taking a gamble. See if you can contact the previous owner and talk with them. BTW: how many owners has it gone through?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
is this a GXP or NA? My 06 was listed for 9,995 2 years ago with 43k miles. It's probably a cash only car unless they have inhouse financing which I doubt is under 19%.

if it looks good and you like it and the price fits your budget then take it for a test drive and get it good and hot and I'd pop the hood, rev it up and listen how it sounds. I'd also take it out on the highway and hammer it in 2nd from a slow roll and look out the rearview mirror for blue smoke. If it's a standard, Id do some tests on the clutch too. my 06 has about 55k now and there's barely any clutch pedal left.

as Theresa stated, check car guru's. I found both of mine there.

Last, just be cautious. Yeah, the Solstice looks good in the driveway but it's not much good if you can't drive it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
is this a GXP or NA? My 06 was listed for 9,995 2 years ago with 43k miles. It's probably a cash only car unless they have inhouse financing which I doubt is under 19%.

if it looks good and you like it and the price fits your budget then take it for a test drive and get it good and hot and I'd pop the hood, rev it up and listen how it sounds. I'd also take it out on the highway and hammer it in 2nd from a slow roll and look out the rearview mirror for blue smoke. If it's a standard, Id do some tests on the clutch too. my 06 has about 55k now and there's barely any clutch pedal left.

as Theresa stated, check car guru's. I found both of mine there.

Last, just be cautious. Yeah, the Solstice looks good in the driveway but it's not much good if you can't drive it.
Yea its an NA and no they said they can finance. Most banks dont finance cars 5 grand and under. But thanks for saying what to check. I mainly want to check the clutch feel and ask them about the timing belt, chain and the water pump since I seen those are mainly the failures. I found this one on Car Gurus and 4 others but they are all overpriced with the mileage ranging from 78-90k.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There's a mean yellow out there with 153,000 miles that doesn't sell. The dealer had it down to $7995 asking price but now has raised it to $9995. I ran the VIN on it back in November and found it had been in an accident with front impact. So be careful when dealing with high mileage like this. The risk of it being in an accident or needing expensive repairs is obviously much greater.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
The info below is from Edmonds.com.

http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/solstice/2007/tmv-appraise-results.html

As you can see the price is no where near what that dealer wants.
The trading value is 2599.00 and the dealer price is 5586.

Pricing Details for a 2007 Pontiac Solstice Convertible
Base 2dr Car

Customized True Market Value® Prices
Trade-InPrivate PartyDealer Retail
National Base Price$5,742$7,237$9,064
Optional Equipment$501$638$895
Power Windows$32$40$57
Carpeted Floor Mats$5$7$9
Front Fog/Driving Lights$22$28$40
18 Inch Chrome Alloy Wheels$124$158$221
AM/FM/CD Changer/MP3 Audio System$77$98$138
Cruise Control$22$28$40
Limited Slip Rear Differential$69$88$123
Air Conditioning$150$191$267
Color Adjustment - Yellow$5$6$7
Regional Adjustment - for Zip Code 33411$-10$-12$-15
Mileage Adjustment - 135,000 miles$-2,197$-2,197$-2,197
Condition Adjustment - Average$-1,442$-1,783$-2,168
Total$2,599$3,889$5,586

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Once again good posts I've had more then a few cars with well over 200000 miles on them and sold them and never got any complaints .My last Roadmaster wagon had 1300000 miles on it when I bought bit and had 2800000 miles on it when I sold it a couple of years ago and the guy is still driving it as far as I know . Yes I put some money into the car but it was all maintenance related which was to be expected .In this day and age if a car is taken car of 300000 to 400000 miles is not unheard of with regular care there is a guy in New England with a Volvo that has over a million miles on it .It's an NA an engine that has been in a few GM products and it's pretty bullet proof if taken care of .The things that I would look at are general overall condition ,the seats are a dead giveaway especially if they are leather ,how's the top and the glass ,general overall paint and body any mismatched panels or signs of a respray are there service records ,how many owners ,have the recalls been preformed ? If you have a mechanic you can trust take it to him and have him give it a good going over .If the miles are mostly highway the wear factor is much less and don't worry about a timing belt because our cars don't have them they have timing chains .If you like the car and everything checks out don't be afraid to buy it you can use the mileage to your advantage as a negotiating factor and last but not least what part of the country are you in because right now nobody in snow country is buying a Solstice unless it's the deal of a lifetime .Just want to add don't place to much credibility in Car Fax I know .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts