Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 08 Pure 5 speed GXP late last summer....had never really thought about buying one, but, my husband is the sales manager at the dealership...this one was sold new to a friend of his and he traded it for something bigger. I really wanted another convertible - I've had several - and most out there now do not suit my taste. I traded my beloved RX8, so I gave up PERFECT handling and butter smooth acceleration, but I knew I would.

The only problem, the A/C sounds like a dying cow. Have had it to the dealer, and the previous owner did as well, new compressor, fiddling with lines and hoses...no improvement. I rarely run the A/C, but when I do, I don't want to sound like a freightliner going through the neighborhood!!

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Noise that is only present when the AC is on is intersting.

Do you hear the noise when the defroster is turned on? The defroster also uses the AC cycling it on and off to help dry the air that is being directed onto the windshield. If you run the defroster and do not get the cow sound, that might tell us something.

Do you hear the AC clutch open and close? It makes a click when it engages the electric clutch inside the AC drive pulley. Is the noise present all the time when in AC wether the clutch is engaged or not? It is possible it could be the clutch.

Wierd things can happen, such as the belt tension is less with the AC clutch disengaged so when it is engaged the added belt tension might be causing increased friction between the belt and one of the pulleys. Mine were very dirty and made bad noises until I had them cleaned.

Hope you enjoy the car.

Anything is better than a mAzdA :)

Friends dont let friends drive . . fill in the blank

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
With our improve changes to the suspension a resounding yes.
As far as accelaration, a quick tune and it should improve quite well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, dying cow noise with the defroster as well. I guess it probably is changing with the A/C clutch, because the noise seems to cycle. Hear it, can't hear it....

I will take your Mazda pokes, but you will never talk me out of my lingering love for the RX8. It was awesome....and, yes, it handled way better than the GXP... The downside was the fear of how the rotary would hold up under age and mileage...they are pricey to get repaired!

But, I'm not here to bad mouth the Solstice....!!! Great little car and I have asked Santa for the GM tune (still available, right?) and I want it way before Christmas!! Like maybe when they do my recall!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will pay more attention to the noise....it's away at the body shop right now. A co-workers' son backed into it about a week ago. New front bumper cover... booo!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
We understand ,but I bet you still have the same old OEM tires that came with the GXP.
Also probably no suspension mods either.
One last thing, make sure the tire pressure is at 29 or it will not handle as well as it should.
One thing she mentioned was a new compressor was put in, so is unlikely the clutch would be the issue.
Is probably someting with the belt or the tensioner.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I loved the RX8 on paper. Loved the rear suicide door. Loved the looks. Unfortunately, the engine was all wrong. An LFN would do nicely. The rotary lacks torque and sucks both oil and gas. I thought my s2000 lacked torque but it was much better than the RX8. At 20k miles, my friends RX8 is getting 16 mpg and using 1/2 quart of oil per tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pimpin...my 8 was a rare success. It never used oil...oh, maybe down half a quart at oil change time....roughly 3000 miles. As for MPG's, it was all over the spectrum....riding it hard, 15 to 18, but I got up to 22 and 23 on trips. But, you are right, ones like your friends were out there.

Torque sucked, yes. but the smooth acceleration and high revs made up for that somewhat....I realize it was not a car for the masses, but I loved it.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I will take your Mazda pokes, but you will never talk me out of my lingering love for the RX8. It was awesome....and, yes, it handled way better than the GXP... The downside was the fear of how the rotary would hold up under age and mileage...they are pricey to get repaired!
Sorry, not possible. Never seen an RX8 beat a GXP at the SCCA. The GXP has several autocross championships under it's belt. Maybe you just don't know how to drive it and are happy with the handling of the RX8.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
That's a bit harsh, isn't it? It's the OP's opinion - not a challenge to anyone's manhood.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, not possible. Never seen an RX8 beat a GXP at the SCCA. The GXP has several autocross championships under it's belt. Maybe you just don't know how to drive it and are happy with the handling of the RX8.
Never raced my 8 and will never race my Sol...don't give a crap about either of those situations.

Maybe I will need to learn a few things about the car to get a better feel for the handling.

I liked the 8 and that's my opinion. You like your Sol and that's your opinion - no need to be ugly about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a bit harsh, isn't it? It's the OP's opinion - not a challenge to anyone's manhood.
I did seem a little harsh, but I have yet to join a car forum that doesn't have this personality type. I struggle with understanding the folks that live and breathe a car. IT'S A CAR. I like mine OK....if I didn't, I would trade...And, I will one day...life's too short not to drive as many cool cars as possible. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
The consensus recommendation is that you need to add at least the DDM probeam to the car before you really wring it out. The back bone is also a very good improvement to the handling.

Hope you find the issue with the AC soon:thumbs::grouphug:

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Lisa - my N/A has a noise when the A/C is on but I've traced it to a fan, not the compressor. In fact, now that the heat is on in MI again, I need to track that down and get it taken care of.

Oh, welcome to the forum. I'll make every effort to not challenge your manhood. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lisa - my N/A has a noise when the A/C is on but I've traced it to a fan, not the compressor. In fact, now that the heat is on in MI again, I need to track that down and get it taken care of.

Oh, welcome to the forum. I'll make every effort to not challenge your manhood. ;)
hmmmm...the compressor has actually been replaced twice...once with the original owner and then we had it replaced. No changes in the noise. I need to take it back in, the dealer was doing a little research and wanted to look at a couple other possibilities. I just hate running it in for a day, so I thought they could look at it when the recall was performed. By then, it may be "heater" weather again...

Feel free to question my manhood as often as you wish.... :thumbs:

·
Registered
7 Posts
The consensus recommendation is that you need to add at least the DDM probeam to the car before you really wring it out. The back bone is also a very good improvement to the handling.

Hope you find the issue with the AC soon:thumbs::grouphug:
If you go that far might as well get the Latin Venom Brace for the front! It makes it complete.:cool:

As far as the A?C is concerned I don't know if the TSB about the A/C would be for your year GXP, but as GM has been as of late for problems you GXP could also be involved.

Give Your car some time I do believe you will begin to smile all the more.:driving:
Good luck with the A/C.
BTW mine does this and when I finally get the recall done they will fix that also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ours was fixed by replacing the A/C Evaporator line tubing and the existing bracket with a new design bracket assembly (part # 19130241) by a previous owner. I hope this is helpful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts